Parallel and distributed computing

watfor
anyone,
just want to know if smalltalk has the capability to do parallel
computing,
distributed computing and if smalltalk has any packaging support?
how do i do that in squeak or other compiler?
thank you in advanced

Re: Parallel and distributed computing

rush
<[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> anyone,
> just want to know if smalltalk has the capability to do parallel
> computing,
> distributed computing and if smalltalk has any packaging support?
> how do i do that in squeak or other compiler?
> thank you in advanced

Well, it depends on the granularity you would like to use, and basic
parallel model you would like to have.

Smalltalk yields itself greatly to various message passing distributed
schemes, since in Smalltalk, you program by sending messages to objects, and
conceptually sending a message to the object that resides on the other
machine is not that much different from sending it to the local one. From
that idea Ditributed Smalltalk came to existence, and it I believe it acted
as inspiration and partly the base when CORBA was created.

So yes, Smalltalk is interesting for distributed applications. I think the
VW has the most complete offering, with their distributed smalltalk (nowdays
I think it is called differently), which supports various mechanics for IPC,
and even remote debugging. VA Smalltalk had it's Server Smalltalk which
offered distribution, and there are independant CORBA orb implementaions.
There is also a book about distributed smalltalks "The Distributed Smalltalk
Survival Guide" (you can find a link to it at:
http://www.rush.avalon.hr/books.html). It is not perfect but it does give
you an overview.

On the Dolphin side (I am reading your post in Dolphin newsgroup), you have
Swazoo and Spray, which implement web services and SOAP:
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/

Rolling your own distributed tools is also a workable possibility, and
number of Dolphin projects are using it. (for instance MOST trading system I
have worked on, uses internaly developed CORBA orb
http://www.zse.hr/imost/index.html)

Interfacing to DCOM is also possible thanks to Dolphin good COM support (if
DCOM is suitable for your needs).

rush