Parcels with overrides?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
As you all know, currently one cannot export a parcel with overridden code,
which brings up a question whether it is at all possible to provide an
option to either export the actual method belonging to the package being
exported or the method belonging to the package that overrides it? Its
slightly annoying that neither of those is available and it simply stops in
its tracks.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

AW: Parcels with overrides?

Georg Heeg
Boris,

There is an implementation of Parcels with Overrides in the review process.
I hope that this will be done for 7.5. It is actually part of Smalltalk
Archives.

Georg

Thank you.

Re: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Boris Popov-4
Georg Heeg wrote:
> Boris,
>
> There is an implementation of Parcels with Overrides in the review process.
> I hope that this will be done for 7.5. It is actually part of Smalltalk
> Archives.
>
> Georg

Oh that's exciting, whats Smalltalk Archives? ;)

-Boris

AW: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Georg Heeg
Boris,

Smalltalk Archives (.star files without sources and .store files with
sources) serve to save and distribute bundles with all features of the
bundles themselves and all their subcomponents. Technically they are tar
files with parcel files in them.

Georg

> There is an implementation of Parcels with Overrides in the review
process.
> I hope that this will be done for 7.5. It is actually part of Smalltalk
> Archives.
>
> Georg

Oh that's exciting, whats Smalltalk Archives? ;)

-Boris

Re: AW: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Boris Popov-4
Georg Heeg wrote:
> Boris,
>
> Smalltalk Archives (.star files without sources and .store files with
> sources) serve to save and distribute bundles with all features of the
> bundles themselves and all their subcomponents. Technically they are tar
> files with parcel files in them.

Hmm, that sounds neat. Is this the first public mention of this project
or did I just miss a memo somewhere? What's the ultimate goal of this?

Cheers!

-Boris

> Georg

James Robertson-3
This is being done as part of the ObjectStudio 8 (ObjectStudio on VW) project.

At 02:27 AM 5/30/2006, you wrote:

>Georg Heeg wrote:
>>Boris,
>>Smalltalk Archives (.star files without sources and .store files with
>>sources) serve to save and distribute bundles with all features of the
>>bundles themselves and all their subcomponents. Technically they are tar
>>files with parcel files in them.
>
>Hmm, that sounds neat. Is this the first public mention of this project or
>did I just miss a memo somewhere? What's the ultimate goal of this?
>
>Cheers!
>
>-Boris
>

>>Georg

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Re: AW: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Charles A. Monteiro-2
sort of the concept of Java jars files. What would also be very
interesting is to support non-code resources i.e. whatever external
resources the bundle in question needs to do whatever it does i.e. graphic
images, sound files, configuration files etc, this probably should include
the replication of whatever necessary folder structure to contain these
external non-code resources

Charles A. Monteiro

AW: AW: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Georg Heeg
Charles,

This sounds a really interesting idea. When we implemented Smalltalk
Archives Bundles could not yet have arbitrary files and we have not used the
files feature so far. From the idea that a Smalltalk Archive technically is
a tar file and the tar implementation we use can handle writing and reading
of files in the first place, this should not be difficult to add when we
have understood the precise features of files in a bundle.

Thank you for the hint

Georg

--
Charles A. Monteiro

Re: AW: AW: AW: Parcels with overrides?

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I sort of did this with my p2p OpentalkMatrix stuff i.e. there was a meta
object that knew all of this and so when a node on the p2p network
downloaded a component (code that does stuff essentially a modified parcel
file) all supporting resources came with it and folder structures were
recreated. I took the lazy path though :) and simply just went on the
necessary subsequent trips to the source node. I also had a password based
security scheme.

Anyhow, if you all finish this and then perhaps but not necessary somebody
does parcel signing then it would be cool to integrate it to my little toy
i.e. OpentalkMatrix.

Of course , even if all of this wonderful stuff is accomplished it will
still do me little good unless Cincom finishes fixing the NAT issue with
Opentalk ST-ST.

Sorry Martin could not pass the chance to give you a good stab :)

Pls do announce it on this list when you have even something at beta level
i.e. that includes external resources.

thanks

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

[Opentalk NAT] was: [Parcels with overrides]

Mike Hales
With regards to Opentalk st-st being able to pass through NAT, that
would be very valuable to us as well.  We are using Opentalk on the LAN
now but would love to be able to use it across the internet without
having to resort to SOAP.

Mike

Mike Hales
Engineering Manager
KnowledgeScape

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I sort of did this with my p2p OpentalkMatrix stuff i.e. there was a
> meta object that knew all of this and so when a node on the p2p
> network downloaded a component (code that does stuff essentially a
> modified parcel file) all supporting resources came with it and folder
> structures were recreated. I took the lazy path though :) and simply
> just went on the necessary subsequent trips to the source node. I also
> had a password based security scheme.
>
> Anyhow, if you all finish this and then perhaps but not necessary
> somebody does parcel signing then it would be cool to integrate it to
> my little toy i.e. OpentalkMatrix.
>
> Of course , even if all of this wonderful stuff is accomplished it
> will still do me little good unless Cincom finishes fixing the NAT
> issue with Opentalk ST-ST.
>
> Sorry Martin could not pass the chance to give you a good stab :)
>
> Pls do announce it on this list when you have even something at beta
> level i.e. that includes external resources.
>
> thanks
>
> -Charles
>

> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:36:05 -0400, Georg Heeg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Charles,
>>
>> This sounds a really interesting idea. When we implemented Smalltalk
>> Archives Bundles could not yet have arbitrary files and we have not
>> used the
>> files feature so far. From the idea that a Smalltalk Archive
>> technically is
>> a tar file and the tar implementation we use can handle writing and
>> reading
>> of files in the first place, this should not be difficult to add when we
>> have understood the precise features of files in a bundle.
>>
>> Thank you for the hint
>>
>> Georg

Re: [Opentalk NAT] was: [Parcels with overrides]

kobetic

Yes, better NAT and firewall traversal for STST protocol is a priority
task on the 7.5 task list. However note that as of VW 7.4, you should be
able to do at least as much with STST as you can with SOAP and other XML
based protocols. Here's the relevant note from the release notes:

Improving firewall traversal capabilities of Opentalk-STST

Opentalk-STST checks the receiver of each incoming request to verify
that it is indeed a local object. However this check is based on IP
addresses which creates a problem with firewalls or with any other
network setup involving NAT (network address translation). A server in a
DMZ zone is at least one firewall away from the internet and so the
chances that the IP address in the request receiver's reference will
match the IP address of the host that runs the server is virtually zero.
As a consequence, Opentalk servers were unnecessarily hostile to
firewalls and internet.

However an Opentalk server should be able to work at least
as well as a WS/SOAP server if you avoid passing objects by reference
(which is exactly what WEB/SOAP communication boils down to).
Therefore we have added configurable locality check support, see
AdaptorConfiguration>>localityTest:. The check is expressed as a
configurable 2 argument block which takes an ObjRef and an Adaptor
instance and answers true if the reference is local to that adaptor and
false otherwise. This allows users to use customized locality tests that
can take into account any external access points of the broker.

So whatever you can do with SOAP, you should be able to do with STST as
well, even with regards to firewall and NAT traversal. What isn't done
is improving STST protocol so that full capabilities of STST are working
across NATs and firewalls. This is a big job, but it's a priority item
now and we hope to move it forward as much as we can.

HTH,

Martin

Mike Hales wrote:

> With regards to Opentalk st-st being able to pass through NAT, that
> would be very valuable to us as well.  We are using Opentalk on the LAN
> now but would love to be able to use it across the internet without
> having to resort to SOAP.
>
> Mike
>
> Mike Hales
> Engineering Manager
> KnowledgeScape
>
> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>
>> I sort of did this with my p2p OpentalkMatrix stuff i.e. there was a
>> meta object that knew all of this and so when a node on the p2p
>> network downloaded a component (code that does stuff essentially a
>> modified parcel file) all supporting resources came with it and folder
>> structures were recreated. I took the lazy path though :) and simply
>> just went on the necessary subsequent trips to the source node. I also
>> had a password based security scheme.
>>
>> Anyhow, if you all finish this and then perhaps but not necessary
>> somebody does parcel signing then it would be cool to integrate it to
>> my little toy i.e. OpentalkMatrix.
>>
>> Of course , even if all of this wonderful stuff is accomplished it
>> will still do me little good unless Cincom finishes fixing the NAT
>> issue with Opentalk ST-ST.
>>
>> Sorry Martin could not pass the chance to give you a good stab :)
>>
>> Pls do announce it on this list when you have even something at beta
>> level i.e. that includes external resources.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -Charles
>>

>> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:36:05 -0400, Georg Heeg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Charles,
>>>
>>> This sounds a really interesting idea. When we implemented Smalltalk
>>> Archives Bundles could not yet have arbitrary files and we have not
>>> used the
>>> files feature so far. From the idea that a Smalltalk Archive
>>> technically is
>>> a tar file and the tar implementation we use can handle writing and
>>> reading
>>> of files in the first place, this should not be difficult to add when we
>>> have understood the precise features of files in a bundle.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the hint
>>>
>>> Georg

RE: Re: [Opentalk NAT] was: [Parcels with overrides]

OCIT
Martin:

I agree that this is no doubt valuable and I would myself definitely rather do ST-ST even if I only could rely on pass by value semantics than do SOAP.

At least the day seems to be getting closer after all of this time i.e. since the NAT issue is now officially on a real list. Even though making  OpentalkMatrix work out in the real world of the Internet is dear to my heart we actually have extensions to our business product which have been put on hold because of this NAT thing. To be fair we had some other more pressing issues. Anyhow, does 7.5 mean that it may be available for  Q1 2007?

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
> At least the day seems to be getting closer after all of this time
> i.e. since the NAT issue is now officially on a real list. Even
> though making  OpentalkMatrix work out in the real world of the
> Internet is dear to my heart we actually have extensions to our
> business product which have been put on hold because of this NAT
> thing. To be fair we had some other more pressing issues. Anyhow,
> does 7.5 mean that it may be available for  Q1 2007?

Well if we want to get it into 7.5 it should be fully fleshed out by
September and complete by the end of October or so. I have to admit that
it's getting tight, but we'll see. If we slip, then it will have to wait
for 7.5.1, but whatever we have will be immediately available in the
public repository regardless of any release dates, as usually. So in the
worst case you'll at least have access to the most recent stuff.

Martin