Pavel Krivanek's unloading script for Pharo

Pavel Krivanek's unloading script for Pharo

Frank Shearar-3
For those interested in shrinking Trunk, this is the job Pavel's set
up to shrink Pharo:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Pharo-Kernel-3.0/job/PharoKernel3.0-FromTopShrink/

The meat is the script itself:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Pharo-Kernel-3.0/job/PharoKernel3.0-FromTopShrink/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/shrink.st

I'm mentioning it here because (a) other folk than just myself are
interested in this work and (b) I haven't had a chance to digest the
script.

frank

Re: Pavel Krivanek's unloading script for Pharo

Edgar De Cleene

On 1/20/14 8:30 AM, "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those interested in shrinking Trunk, this is the job Pavel's set
> up to shrink Pharo:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Pharo-Kernel-3.0/job/PharoKernel3.
> 0-FromTopShrink/
>
> The meat is the script itself:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Pharo-Kernel-3.0/job/PharoKernel3.
> 0-FromTopShrink/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/shrink.st
>
> I'm mentioning it here because (a) other folk than just myself are
> interested in this work and (b) I haven't had a chance to digest the
> script.
>
> frank

Thanks to Pavel for doing it and to you for share.
Take a look ASAP

Edgar

Re: Pavel Krivanek's unloading script for Pharo

Colin Putney-3

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm mentioning it here because (a) other folk than just myself are
interested in this work and (b) I haven't had a chance to digest the
script.

Wow. That is... impressive. There's a lot of stuff there that's not applicable to Squeak, but also some good ideas we could adapt.

Terminating extraneous processes before doing the unload, for example. And figuring out the unload order based on dependencies. (Although I've found that unloading packages from a Trunk image in alphabetical order works fine. The only exception is that I unload MonticelloForTraits last, so as not to break trait-unloading.)

I don't really grok his UserManager hacks, though, or why he removes a bunch of methods before getting into the package unloading.

Nice find.

Colin