Performance in Workspace

Robert Kovacic
I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with a 1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or more to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Re: Performance in Workspace

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with a
> 1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or more
> to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Takes no time on my computer. Could you please print the result of
this expression:

[Time now] timeToRun

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Performance in Workspace

gcotelli
Have you any antivirus software running? There's some issues with NOD32 (and any other that I can't remember now) scanning all the time the changes file and making Pharo/Squeak unusable. If it's the problem exclude the Pharo directory from the scan list.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with a
1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or more
to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Re: Performance in Workspace

Robert Kovacic
I obtained the following results: "[3 + 4] timeToRun 0" and "[Time now ] timeToRun 0", however it still took about a second before each result was displayed (the hour glass icon flashed on briefly for each evaluation).

Damien Cassou wrote
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <rjk@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with a
> 1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or more
> to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Takes no time on my computer. Could you please print the result of
this expression:

[Time now] timeToRun

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Performance in Workspace

Robert Kovacic
I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and excluding the Pharo directory from the scan list as you suggested has solved the problem thank you.

Gabriel Cotelli wrote

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <rjk@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with
> 1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or
> more
> to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Re: Performance in Workspace

Robert Kovacic
I forgot to ask - should I report this to the Bug List?

Robert Kovacic wrote
I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and excluding the Pharo directory from the scan list as you suggested has solved the problem thank you.

Gabriel Cotelli wrote
Have you any antivirus software running? There's some issues with NOD32 (and
any other that I can't remember now) scanning all the time the changes file
and making Pharo/Squeak unusable. If it's the problem exclude the Pharo
directory from the scan list.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <rjk@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I have installed setup_pharo1.0-10466-BETAdev09.10.1.exe on Windows XP with
> 1.6GHz processor. Evaluating "3 + 4" or "Time now" takes about 1 sec or
> more
> to print the result. Is this expected for this beta version?

Re: Performance in Workspace

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Oct 6, 2009, at 3:23 34AM, Robert Kovacic wrote:

> I forgot to ask - should I report this to the Bug List?

Seems like an issue more suited in a FAQ or something to me, not much
we can really do do "fix" it...
Maybe http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/faq/pharo deserves an entry about this?

Cheers,
Henry

> Robert Kovacic wrote:
>>
>> I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and excluding the Pharo
>> directory from the scan list as you suggested has solved the
>> problem thank
>> you.
>>

>> Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you any antivirus software running? There's some issues with
>>> NOD32
>>> (and
>>> any other that I can't remember now) scanning all the time the
>>> changes
>>> file
>>> and making Pharo/Squeak unusable. If it's the problem exclude the
>>> Pharo
>>> directory from the scan list.
>>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <[hidden email]>

Re: Performance in Workspace

Adrian Lienhard
Could somebody that knows the issue a bit better than me write the FAQ
entry? I'll add it to either of the two FAQs then.

Reporting an issue makes only sense if you do it over at MS... ;)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Oct 6, 2009, at 09:20 , Henrik Johansen wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2009, at 3:23 34AM, Robert Kovacic wrote:
>

>> I forgot to ask - should I report this to the Bug List?
>
> Seems like an issue more suited in a FAQ or something to me, not much
> we can really do do "fix" it...
> Maybe http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/faq/pharo deserves an entry about this?
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>

>> Robert Kovacic wrote:
>>>
>>> I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and excluding the Pharo
>>> directory from the scan list as you suggested has solved the
>>> problem thank
>>> you.

Re: Performance in Workspace

Robert Kovacic
Given Microsoft Security Essentials is free, it's reasonable to assume that over time a significant percentage of Windows machines will have it installed. It would be a shame if people new to or evaluating Pharo were turned off by a known issue that so severely affects performance but has such a simple solution.

I would go so far as to suggest that a message be displayed in the Workspace of the fresh downloaded image for this (and any other similar issues).

Regards, Robert Kovacic

Henrik Johansen wrote
On Oct 6, 2009, at 3:23 34AM, Robert Kovacic wrote:

> I forgot to ask - should I report this to the Bug List?

Seems like an issue more suited in a FAQ or something to me, not much
we can really do do "fix" it...
Maybe http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/faq/pharo deserves an entry about this?

Cheers,
Henry

> Robert Kovacic wrote:
>>
>> I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and excluding the Pharo
>> directory from the scan list as you suggested has solved the
>> problem thank
>> you.
>>

>> Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you any antivirus software running? There's some issues with
>>> NOD32
>>> (and
>>> any other that I can't remember now) scanning all the time the
>>> changes
>>> file
>>> and making Pharo/Squeak unusable. If it's the problem exclude the
>>> Pharo
>>> directory from the scan list.
>>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Robert Kovacic <rjk@bigpond.net.au>

Re: Performance in Workspace

Stéphane Ducasse
well we are not all on windows :)
so an FAQ entry is the most appropriate action.

stef