Periodic process every N hours, how?

johnmci
I'm looking at both the WAGemStoneRunSmalltalkServer & WAGemStoneSmalltalkServer, well and also the  WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask but they are weak on examples/details as far as I can tell at 1:30 am.

What I need to do is run a periodic task every 3 hours to use a zinc client to pull some data from a server then compute some results and store for seaside gems to serve up to incoming requests.

So need a few clues on how best to do this.

Re: Periodic process every N hours, how?

Dale Henrichs
John,

Yes, there aren't too many examples.

If you want something to run "every 3 hours" and not at specific times, then WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask could fill the bill.

To add your own task, just add a new 'maintenanceTask*' method and call `WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask initialize`.

The task will be run in the maintenance vm and you are responsible for the gemstone transactions. The two 'maintenanceTask*' methods should be enough of an example (during daytime hours:). Keep in mind that you are sharing the maintenance vm with the other processes and the tasks are run sequentially, so your task is not guaranteed to run every three hours exactly.

You could use cron to launch your own topaz vm "every 3 hours". Your code would pretty much be the same as you'd write for the maintenance task. This would be the route to go if you want to keep a close schedule.

I would think you could start with a 'maintentanceTask' and then migrate to a separate vm when you find the need.

Dale

| I'm looking at both the WAGemStoneRunSmalltalkServer &
| WAGemStoneSmalltalkServer, well and also the
|  WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask but
| they are weak on examples/details as far as I can tell at 1:30 am.
|
| What I need to do is run a periodic task every 3 hours to use a zinc
| client
| to pull some data from a server then compute some results and store
| for
| seaside gems to serve up to incoming requests.
|
| So need a few clues on how best to do this.

Re: Periodic process every N hours, how?

johnmci
Ok, actually the particular requirement is to run this task no more than every three hours, so having it run every three hours plus some minutes/seconds fits the bill.