Persistence options for Seaside

Stephan Eggermont-3
There is now a page on persistence at:
http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence

I'd like to thank Ramon Leon, James Foster, James Robertson,
Göran Krampe, Keith Hodges, Chris Muller Adriaan van Os for their
valuable
contributions.

Please send me (or to the list)
- comments
- other possible solutions
- other scenario's
- other questions that are relevant to make a good decision
  - sample code
- information on reference implementations
- links
- answers to the questions in the doc.

Stephan

Re: Persistence options for Seaside

Randal L. Schwartz

Stephan> There is now a page on persistence at:
Stephan> http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence

Oh good... precisely what I need for

  http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/8133

I'll be happy to put my talk up as creative-commons on that page
when I'm done.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Persistence options for Seaside

keith1y
Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> There is now a page on persistence at:
> http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence
>
> I'd like to thank Ramon Leon, James Foster, James Robertson,
> Göran Krampe, Keith Hodges, Chris Muller Adriaan van Os for their
> valuable
> contributions.
>
> Please send me (or to the list)
> - comments
> - other possible solutions
> - other scenario's
> - other questions that are relevant to make a good decision
>  - sample code
> - information on reference implementations
> - links
> - answers to the questions in the doc.
>
> Stephan

I cant see my contribution, you could add:

MySQL-driver

Native driver for connecting to MySql via TCP/IP

Magritte-RDB

Maps magritte described objects to SQL tables, and queries into objects,
currently only supports the MySQL driver, but OpenDBX support is planned.
Magritte provides additional coercions for described data types.
One to one associations are handled being retrieved with a Join.

Example code.

WSPersonalData realizeAll.

WSPersonalData newRecord name: 'bob'; storeOnDB.

{ a. b. c. } storeOnDB.

Keith

Re: Persistence options for Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> There is now a page on persistence at:
> http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence
>
> I'd like to thank Ramon Leon, James Foster, James Robertson,
> Göran Krampe, Keith Hodges, Chris Muller Adriaan van Os for their
> valuable
> contributions.
>
> Please send me (or to the list)
> - comments
> - other possible solutions
> - other scenario's
> - other questions that are relevant to make a good decision
>  - sample code
> - information on reference implementations
> - links
> - answers to the questions in the doc.
>
> Stephan

I cant see my contribution, you could add:

MySQL-driver

Native driver for connecting to MySql via TCP/IP

Let me clarify this is only for Squeak. As this is a seaside website and seaside runs in several smalltalk, I think it's necessary to clarify in which dialect does a particular solution work.

Magritte-RDB

Maps magritte described objects to SQL tables, and queries into objects,
currently only supports the MySQL driver, but OpenDBX support is planned.

Nice :)

Magritte provides additional coercions for described data types.
One to one associations are handled being retrieved with a Join.

Example code.

WSPersonalData realizeAll.

WSPersonalData newRecord name: 'bob'; storeOnDB.

{ a. b. c. } storeOnDB.

Keith

Re: Persistence options for Seaside

Jan van de Sandt
Good overview! I have an extra option for persistence:

Cloudfork-AWS

Cloudfork AWS is an open source project that provides easy access from Smalltalk to the Amazon Web Services. One of these services is SimpleDB, a powerful and extremely scalable database engine with a simple REST based API. It is possible to use the API directly but it is also possible to use a higer level API. Cloudfork-ActiveItem provides an ActiveRecord like interface to SimpleDB and Cloudfork-SimpleDB-Magritte makes it easy to store magritte described objects in SimpleDB.

Links:
- http://www.squeaksource.com/Cloudfork.html
- http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/
- http://blog.doit.st/2009/03/29/getting-started-with-simpledb-using-cloudfork/

It would be great if this option is added to the list of possible solutions.

Jan.