Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Andy Kellens
Hello,

I have a Pier 1.1.1 installation running on our Mac OS X Server.
While the Pier system runs just fine, I noticed that the system
stopped saving the changes persistently to the image.
After playing around a bit with our installation, I was able to
reproduce the problem:
        - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a previous
1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
        - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes; maxImages: 3) as
the persistency scheme
        - I start changing the wiki
        - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new images +
changes files
        - When the third backup should be made, I get an error: pier.image
not found
        - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar error:
Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
        - I checked: both files are where they should be

Kind regards,

Andy

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Lukas Renggli
We are running several instances on a Mac Server here.

Are you sure that the VM has write permissions? Especially if you run
the one-click image from /Applications, the VM has usually only
limited write access.

Lukas

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Andy Kellens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Pier 1.1.1 installation running on our Mac OS X Server.
> While the Pier system runs just fine, I noticed that the system stopped
> saving the changes persistently to the image.
> After playing around a bit with our installation, I was able to reproduce
> the problem:
>        - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a previous
> 1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
>        - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes; maxImages: 3) as
> the persistency scheme
>        - I start changing the wiki
>        - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new images +
> changes files
>        - When the third backup should be made, I get an error: pier.image
> not found
>        - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar error:
> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>        - I checked: both files are where they should be
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andy

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Andy Kellens
I checked: the VM has write permissions to the entire .app directory.

Kind regards,

Andy

On 29 Apr 2009, at 10:31, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> We are running several instances on a Mac Server here.
>
> Are you sure that the VM has write permissions? Especially if you run
> the one-click image from /Applications, the VM has usually only
> limited write access.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Andy Kellens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Pier 1.1.1 installation running on our Mac OS X Server.
>> While the Pier system runs just fine, I noticed that the system
>> stopped
>> saving the changes persistently to the image.
>> After playing around a bit with our installation, I was able to
>> reproduce
>> the problem:
>>        - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a
>> previous
>> 1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
>>        - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes;
>> maxImages: 3) as
>> the persistency scheme
>>        - I start changing the wiki
>>        - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new
>> images +
>> changes files
>>        - When the third backup should be made, I get an error:
>> pier.image
>> not found
>>        - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar
>> error:
>> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>>        - I checked: both files are where they should be
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Andy

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Lukas Renggli
Can you post a full stack trace?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Andy Kellens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I checked: the VM has write permissions to the entire .app directory.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andy
>
> On 29 Apr 2009, at 10:31, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> We are running several instances on a Mac Server here.
>>
>> Are you sure that the VM has write permissions? Especially if you run
>> the one-click image from /Applications, the VM has usually only
>> limited write access.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Andy Kellens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a Pier 1.1.1 installation running on our Mac OS X Server.
>>> While the Pier system runs just fine, I noticed that the system stopped
>>> saving the changes persistently to the image.
>>> After playing around a bit with our installation, I was able to reproduce
>>> the problem:
>>>       - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a
>>> previous
>>> 1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
>>>       - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes; maxImages: 3)
>>> as
>>> the persistency scheme
>>>       - I start changing the wiki
>>>       - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new images +
>>> changes files
>>>       - When the third backup should be made, I get an error: pier.image
>>> not found
>>>       - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar error:
>>> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>>>       - I checked: both files are where they should be
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Andy Kellens
Hi,

I get a pop-up from squeak (see attached screenshot) and I managed to
see the error, but  I can't open up the actual debugger (the pop-up
window just keeps appearing).
I have seen that the old image (pier.image and pier.changes) get
renamed, but apparently the system is not able to create the new
pier.image and pier.changes.
To be sure, I verified that squeak has write privileges to the correct
directory.

Cheers,

Andy

pastedGraphic.tiff (239K) Download Attachment

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Tudor Girba-3
Hi Andy,

Do you have enough harddisk space?

Cheers,
Doru

On 29 Apr 2009, at 15:48, Mariano Martinez Peck: si, y no es gripe
gordito... wrote:

> [...]
> the problem:
>      - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a
> previous
> 1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
>      - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes; maxImages:
> 3)
> as
> the persistency scheme
>      - I start changing the wiki
>      - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new
> images +
> changes files
>      - When the third backup should be made, I get an error:
> pier.image
> not found
>      - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar
> error:
> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>      - I checked: both files are where they should be

www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

Andy Kellens
Hello,

Yes, there is plenty of space left on the server.
Mariano was right: the stack trace could be found in the debug.log.
I added it to the end of this mail.

Kind regards,

Andy

----

Error: attempt to index non-existent element in an ordered collection
29 April 2009 2:21:15 pm

VM: Mac OS - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Pharo0.1 [Latest update: #10213]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Library/WebServer/Wikis/IntensiVE.app/Contents/Resources
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/
Untrusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/

OrderedCollection(Object)>>error:
        Receiver: an
OrderedCollection('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-...etc...
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aString: 'attempt to index non-existent element in an ordered
collection'
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-3...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 12

OrderedCollection>>errorNoSuchElement
        Receiver: an
OrderedCollection('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-...etc...
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-3...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 12

OrderedCollection>>at:
        Receiver: an
OrderedCollection('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-...etc...
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anInteger: 0
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_backup_2009-04-28_13-3...etc...
                firstIndex: 1
                lastIndex: 12

StandardFileStream class>>readOnlyFileDoesNotExistUserHandling:
        Receiver: StandardFileStream
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                fullFileName: '/Library/WebServer/Wikis/IntensiVE.app/Contents/
Resources/pier.c...etc...
                dir: UnixFileDirectory on '/Library/WebServer/Wikis/IntensiVE.app/
Contents/Reso...etc...
                files: #('debug.log' 'pier.icns' 'pier2009-04-29_14-16-40.image'
'pier2009-04-2...etc...
                choices: an
OrderedCollection('pier_backup_2009-04-28_15-52-46.changes'
'pier_b...etc...
                selection: 0
                newName: nil
                fileName: 'pier.changes'
        Receiver's instance variables:
                superclass: FileStream
                methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#actAsExecutor->a CompiledMethod
(98) #ascii->a ...etc...
                format: 146
                instanceVariables: #('name' 'fileID' 'buffer1')
                organization: ('access' directory directoryUrl file fullName
isDirectory localN...etc...
                subclasses: {CrLfFileStream. MultiByteFileStream}
                name: #StandardFileStream
                classPool: a Dictionary(#Registry->a WeakRegistry(<this
WeakRegistry is locked>...etc...
                sharedPools: nil
                environment: nil
                category: #'Files-Kernel'
                traitComposition: nil
                localSelectors: nil

--- The full stack ---
OrderedCollection(Object)>>error:
OrderedCollection>>errorNoSuchElement
OrderedCollection>>at:
StandardFileStream class>>readOnlyFileDoesNotExistUserHandling:
FileDoesNotExistException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
MultiByteFileStream class(StandardFileStream class)>>readOnlyFileNamed:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>readOnlyCopy
RemoteString>>text
CompiledMethod>>getSourceFromFile
CompiledMethod>>methodNode
Decompiler>>decompileBlock:
BlockContext>>decompile
BlockContext>>printOn:
[] in BlockContext(Object)>>printStringLimitedTo: {[:s | self printOn:
s]}
String class(SequenceableCollection class)>>streamContents:limitedTo:
BlockContext(Object)>>printStringLimitedTo:
BlockContext(Object)>>printString
[] in OTToolset class>>debug:context:label:contents:fullView:
On 29 Apr 2009, at 15:54, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>> images +
>> changes files
>>     - When the third backup should be made, I get an error:
>> pier.image
>> not found
>>     - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar
>> error:
>> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>>     - I checked: both files are where they should be
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Andy

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

johnmci
I've attached a ContextPart>>errorReportOn:  we use to print more
information, the current one dates from the last decade of the last
century and really
provides too little data on the instance variables and stack size.
For example if we could see all of files: we chould see if the
pier.changes file is  there.

But it looks like it's trying to bring up a debug dialog and failing
when it can't find the changes file.
In your image preferences have you set it to say there might not be an
source or changes file?
Also see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=512  where
saying  you don't have an image or changes file still will trigger a
walkback if
the files *do* exist but you don't have permission to read them.

PS I note on an os-x server the file system is case sensitive, on
desktop machines it's non-case sensitive. So for
example on a desktop machine "IntensiVE.app" and "Intensive.app" would
be the same, but on  the server it's not.

On 29-Apr-09, at 7:06 AM, Andy Kellens wrote:

> [...]
>>> the problem:
>>>    - I start with a clean Pier image (and import content from a
>>> previous
>>> 1.1.1 installation using the Importer/Exporter component)
>>>    - I choose PRImagePersistency (duration: 30 minutes; maxImages:
>>> 3)
>>> as
>>> the persistency scheme
>>>    - I start changing the wiki
>>>    - The first two saves work perfectly: Pier creates two new
>>> images +
>>> changes files
>>>    - When the third backup should be made, I get an error:
>>> pier.image
>>> not found
>>>    - I also tried to manually save the image, but get a similar
>>> error:
>>> Squeak cannot locate the changes file /...../pier.changes.
>>>    - I checked: both files are where they should be

ContextPart>>errorReportOn: strm
        "Write a detailed error report on the stack (above me) on a stream.
For both the error file, and emailing a bug report.  Suppress any
errors while getting printStrings.  Limit the length."

        | cnt aContext startPos |
  strm print: Date today; space; print: Time now; cr.
        strm cr.
        strm nextPutAll: 'VM: ';
                nextPutAll:  SmalltalkImage current platformName asString;
                nextPutAll: ' - ';
                nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current platformSubtype asString;
                nextPutAll: ' - ';
                nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current osVersion asString;
                nextPutAll: ' - ';
                nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current vmVersion asString;
                cr.
        strm nextPutAll: 'Image: ';
                nextPutAll:  SystemVersion current version asString;
                nextPutAll: ' [';
                nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current lastUpdateString asString;
                nextPutAll: ']';
                cr.
        strm cr.
        SecurityManager default printStateOn: strm.

        "Note: The following is an open-coded version of
ContextPart>>stackOfSize: since this method may be called during a low
space condition and we might run out of space for allocating the full
stack."
        cnt := 0.  startPos := strm position.
        aContext := self.
        [aContext notNil and: [(cnt := cnt + 1) < 40]] whileTrue:
                [aContext printDetails: strm. "variable values"
                strm cr.
                aContext := aContext sender].

        strm cr; nextPutAll: '--- The full stack ---'; cr.
        aContext := self.
        cnt := 0.
        [aContext == nil] whileFalse:
                [cnt := cnt + 1.
                cnt = 40 ifTrue: [strm nextPutAll: ' - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -'; cr].
                strm print: aContext; cr.  "just class>>selector"

                strm position > (startPos+150000) ifTrue: [strm nextPutAll:
'...etc...'.
                        ^ self]. "exit early"
                cnt > 200 ifTrue: [strm nextPutAll: '-- and more not shown --'.  ^
self].
                aContext := aContext sender].

Re: Persistency problem with Pier 1.1.1 on Mac OS X Server

David Farber-3
Andy - I've seen this error outside of the context of Pier.  Once you
get into this state, there is nothing you can do--everything you try
to do throws the same error.  Whatever the problem turns out to be, it
would be really nice to fix it so that the image isn't brought to its
knees.

David
----
1 Squeak/Seaside/Pier site deployed