PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello,

This email to announce that a new minor release of PetitParser (1) has been published on GitHub (v2.1.0).

Here is the change log:

Summary
-----------
- Each package has its tests separated in a separated package.
- Cleaned baseline, made it more modular.
- Created more groups to let people load the part of the project they want.
- Some cleaning in `PetitParser` package.
- Integrated PetitPreprocessor and PetitParserExtensions in the project as separated groups

Changelog
-----------
#31 Extract PPTextHighlighter into a separated package.
#21 Add contribution guidelines
#13 Update README with new groups
#9 Fix CI configuration
#19 A TODO comment in PPMemoizedParser>>#parseOn: might need to be fixed cleaning
#11 Inconsistent method classification
#15 Split tests in their own packages cleaning
#22 PetitPreprocessor is missing some extensions
#3  Use `>>>` notation for examples inside method
#8 PPStream>>#column: has commented code that should be removed
#7  PPCharSetPredicate and PPContextMemento need to be commented
#1  Replace 'Oops' error message with a meaningful message
#4 PPContext>>#on:stream: should be removed
#2 Integrate PetitParserExtensions package from Smalltalkhub
#5 Integrate PetitPreprocessor package from Smalltalkhub

Thanks to Cyril Ferlicot for his help.

Cheers,

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

Re: PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Julien wrote
> This email to announce that a new minor release of PetitParser (1) has
> been published on GitHub (v2.1.0).

Are any of these enhancements applicable to PP2? If so, have the maintainers
been notified?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Moose-f1310756.html
Sean

Re: PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello,

If the maintainer are either on pharo-users or moose mailing list they are de facto notified of the evolution of the project.

I have no idea if these enhancements are applicable to PP2 and I do not have the time to check that.

I maintain PP1 because I have a project relying on it.

But of course, if PP2 project wants to profit from some of the changes made on PP1, anyone can feel free to integrate them.

It’s MIT anyway.

Cheers,

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

Le 21 déc. 2018 à 23:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Julien wrote
This email to announce that a new minor release of PetitParser (1) has
been published on GitHub (v2.1.0).

Are any of these enhancements applicable to PP2? If so, have the maintainers
been notified?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Moose-f1310756.html

Re: PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Tudor Girba-2

The changes for PP1 are of code organizational nature. PP2 is a separate project with a different organization and these changes do not necessarily apply for PP2.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Dec 21, 2018, at 11:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Julien wrote
>> This email to announce that a new minor release of PetitParser (1) has
>> been published on GitHub (v2.1.0).
>
> Are any of these enhancements applicable to PP2? If so, have the maintainers
> been notified?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Moose-f1310756.html

www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Jan Kurš
I quickly checked the changelog, most of the issues do not seem to apply to PP2. Feel free to open a bug in the PP2 git repo, if there is something missing.

Julien, out of the curiosity, what would be needed for your project to be migrated to PP2?

Cheers,
Jan

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 10:16 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The changes for PP1 are of code organizational nature. PP2 is a separate project with a different organization and these changes do not necessarily apply for PP2.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Dec 21, 2018, at 11:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Julien wrote
>> This email to announce that a new minor release of PetitParser (1) has
>> been published on GitHub (v2.1.0).
>
> Are any of these enhancements applicable to PP2? If so, have the maintainers
> been notified?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Moose-f1310756.html

www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: PetitParser release: v2.1.0

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello,

I stay on PetitParser for multiple (personal) reasons:
1. Most important: It costs me nothing, my parser/AST builder work. I have no reason to spend energy on the migration.
1 bis. I am not aware of any tutorial to migrate from PP1 to PP2
2. My parser makes heavy uses of dependencies between parsers feature. I have no idea if this still exists in PP2. If I look on PPCompositeNode class-side I do not see the #dependencies method present in PPCompositeParser.
2 bis. I have no idea what would be the cost to migrate my parser dependencies setup from PP1 to PP2.
3. I have more confidence in PP1 because it has been widely used by a lot of people for several years (it is only my feeling but, PP2 seems less stable than PP1 to me).
4. PP2 lacks of documentation on classes (in PetitParser2 package, only 13/92 classes as I look right now).

If one day I write another parser, I will consider PetitParser2 of course. But for now, I will stick to PetitParser.

Regards,

Julien

---