Pharo 1.1.1 (CogVM) crashes when saving Monticello packages to any repository due to possible bug in primitive UUID generation

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo 1.1.1 (CogVM) crashes when saving Monticello packages to any repository due to possible bug in primitive UUID generation

jaayer

I have found that I cannot save any package to any repository (local or Squeaksource) using Pharo 1.1.1 with the CogVM on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. After being prompted to describe the changes to the package and then accepting, the entire image just crashes with the stack dump below. I do have the proper IA32-libs installed (to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Linux), and everything else seems to work fine, including loading of Monticello packages.

This code: "UUID new primMakeUUID" can produce the crash. Changing UUID>>primMakeUUID to use the non-primitive implementation:
        UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
stops the crashing.

0xffdda054 M UUID>initialize -1222112984: a(n) UUID
0xffdda06c M UUID class(Behavior)>new: -1246280952: a(n) UUID class
0xffdda090 I UUID class>new -1246280952: a(n) UUID class
0xffdda0b8 I MCWorkingAncestry>infoWithName:message: -1237212252: a(n) MCWorkingAncestry
0xffdda0e8 I MCWorkingCopy>newVersionWithName:message: -1237214288: a(n) MCWorkingCopy
0xffdda114 I MCWorkingCopy>newVersion -1237214288: a(n) MCWorkingCopy
0xffdda13c I MCWorkingCopyBrowser>saveVersion -1224547984: a(n) MCWorkingCopyBrowser
0xffdda15c I PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>performAction -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda17c I PluggableButtonMorphPlus>performAction -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda198 M [] in PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>mouseUp: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda1bc M Array(SequenceableCollection)>do: -1224322708: a(n) Array
0xffdda1e4 I PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>mouseUp: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda208 I PluggableButtonMorphPlus>mouseUp: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda224 M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleMouseUp: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda240 M MouseButtonEvent>sentTo: -1224322748: a(n) MouseButtonEvent
0xffdda25c M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleEvent: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda278 M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleFocusEvent: -1224524124: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xffdda2a0 M [] in HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda2bc M [] in PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring: -1245489536: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xffdda2d8 M BlockClosure>on:do: -1224322800: a(n) BlockClosure
0xffdda304 M PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring: -1245489536: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xffdda328 M HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda350 M HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear: -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda374 M HandMorph>sendMouseEvent: -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda398 M HandMorph>handleEvent: -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda3c4 M HandMorph>processEvents -1245777988: a(n) HandMorph
0xffdda3dc M [] in WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor: -1244859188: a(n) WorldState
0xffdda400 M Array(SequenceableCollection)>do: -1247208360: a(n) Array
0xffdda41c M WorldState>handsDo: -1244859188: a(n) WorldState
0xffdda438 M WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor: -1244859188: a(n) WorldState
0xffdda454 M WorldState>doOneCycleFor: -1244859188: a(n) WorldState
0xffdda470 M PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle -1245489536: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xffdda490 I [] in Project class>? -1244779680: a(n) Project class
-1245658620 s [] in BlockClosure>?

Most recent primitives
basicNew
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
basicNew
basicNew
truncated
fractionPart
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
basicNew
truncated
basicNew
truncated
fractionPart
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
basicNew
truncated
perform:with:
basicNew
truncated
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
primDisplayString:from:to:map:xTable:kern:
@
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
copyBits
@
@
basicNew
at:put:
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
species
species
species
species
species
species
replaceFrom:to:with:startingAt:
new:
@
@
basicNew
shallowCopy
shallowCopy
basicNew
new:
shallowCopy
new:
shallowCopy
basicNew
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
basicNew
copyBits
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
shallowCopy
shallowCopy
basicNew
new:
shallowCopy
new:
shallowCopy
basicNew
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
copyBits
@
@
basicNew
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
primShowRectLeft:right:top:bottom:
primitiveDeferUpdates:
forceDisplayUpdate
findNextUnwindContextUpTo:
terminateTo:
basicNew:
primMakeUUID
Aborted

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo 1.1.1 (CogVM) crashes when saving Monticello packages to any repository due to possible bug in primitive UUID generation

Igor Stasenko
On 5 December 2010 20:53, jaayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> I have found that I cannot save any package to any repository (local or Squeaksource) using Pharo 1.1.1 with the CogVM on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. After being prompted to describe the changes to the package and then accepting, the entire image just crashes with the stack dump below. I do have the proper IA32-libs installed (to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Linux), and everything else seems to work fine, including loading of Monticello packages.
>
> This code: "UUID new primMakeUUID" can produce the crash. Changing UUID>>primMakeUUID to use the non-primitive implementation:
>        UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
> stops the crashing.
>

UUID bug is well known for a long time.
It is plaguing us for 2 years i think.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo 1.1.1 (CogVM) crashes when saving Monticello packages to any repository due to possible bug in primitive UUID generation

garduino
Right. First thing I do when download a new version of Cog is rename
the UUID plugin :P

2010/12/5 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 5 December 2010 20:53, jaayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> I have found that I cannot save any package to any repository (local or Squeaksource) using Pharo 1.1.1 with the CogVM on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. After being prompted to describe the changes to the package and then accepting, the entire image just crashes with the stack dump below. I do have the proper IA32-libs installed (to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Linux), and everything else seems to work fine, including loading of Monticello packages.
>>
>> This code: "UUID new primMakeUUID" can produce the crash. Changing UUID>>primMakeUUID to use the non-primitive implementation:
>>        UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
>> stops the crashing.
>>
>
> UUID bug is well known for a long time.
> It is plaguing us for 2 years i think.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

jaayer
In reply to this post by Igor Stasenko

---- On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:55:17 -0800 Igor Stasenko  wrote ----

>On 5 December 2010 20:53, jaayer  wrote:
>>
>>
>> I have found that I cannot save any package to any repository (local or Squeaksource) using Pharo 1.1.1 with the CogVM on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. After being prompted to describe the changes to the package and then accepting, the entire image just crashes with the stack dump below. I do have the proper IA32-libs installed (to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Linux), and everything else seems to work fine, including loading of Monticello packages.
>>
>> This code: "UUID new primMakeUUID" can produce the crash. Changing UUID>>primMakeUUID to use the non-primitive implementation:
>> stops the crashing.
>>
>
>UUID bug is well known for a long time.
>It is plaguing us for 2 years i think.

I see, my mistake. I assumed it was new because this is the first time I have ever encountered it on Linux after two years of using Pharo, and there were no recent posts here discussing it (though searching just now, I found a thread concerning Cog and UUID crashes from last October) or related issues in the tracker that I could find. But I feel compelled to stress that the current Pharo 1.1.1 OneClick distribution is shipping with this bug in it, and the previous 1.1 distribution did not. Perhaps this quarrelsome plug-in should be disabled by default, if only on Linux. I would hate for a budding Pharo user to encounter this while going through the exercises in Pharo By Example.

>--
>Best regards,
>Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
marcus, maybe we can fix this for the one clicks?

cheers

mariano

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM, jaayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

---- On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:55:17 -0800 Igor Stasenko  wrote ----

>On 5 December 2010 20:53, jaayer  wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> stops the crashing.
>>
>
>UUID bug is well known for a long time.
>It is plaguing us for 2 years i think.

I see, my mistake. I assumed it was new because this is the first time I have ever encountered it on Linux after two years of using Pharo, and there were no recent posts here discussing it (though searching just now, I found a thread concerning Cog and UUID crashes from last October) or related issues in the tracker that I could find. But I feel compelled to stress that the current Pharo 1.1.1 OneClick distribution is shipping with this bug in it, and the previous 1.1 distribution did not. Perhaps this quarrelsome plug-in should be disabled by default, if only on Linux. I would hate for a budding Pharo user to encounter this while going through the exercises in Pharo By Example.

>--
>Best regards,
>Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
yes it would be good.

Stef

On Dec 5, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> marcus, maybe we can fix this for the one clicks?
>
> cheers
>
> mariano
>
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM, jaayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> ---- On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:55:17 -0800 Igor Stasenko  wrote ----
>
> >On 5 December 2010 20:53, jaayer  wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> I have found that I cannot save any package to any repository (local or Squeaksource) using Pharo 1.1.1 with the CogVM on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. After being prompted to describe the changes to the package and then accepting, the entire image just crashes with the stack dump below. I do have the proper IA32-libs installed (to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Linux), and everything else seems to work fine, including loading of Monticello packages.
> >>
> >> This code: "UUID new primMakeUUID" can produce the crash. Changing UUID>>primMakeUUID to use the non-primitive implementation:
> >>        UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
> >> stops the crashing.
> >>
> >
> >UUID bug is well known for a long time.
> >It is plaguing us for 2 years i think.
>
> I see, my mistake. I assumed it was new because this is the first time I have ever encountered it on Linux after two years of using Pharo, and there were no recent posts here discussing it (though searching just now, I found a thread concerning Cog and UUID crashes from last October) or related issues in the tracker that I could find. But I feel compelled to stress that the current Pharo 1.1.1 OneClick distribution is shipping with this bug in it, and the previous 1.1 distribution did not. Perhaps this quarrelsome plug-in should be disabled by default, if only on Linux. I would hate for a budding Pharo user to encounter this while going through the exercises in Pharo By Example.
>
> >--
> >Best regards,
> >Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
> >
> >
>
>
>