Pharo 1.1. impressions and suggestions

Janko Mivšek
Dear Pharoers,

I just finished syncing new Aida from VW on new Pharo 1.1 and during
that I collect few impressions and also suggestions, how to proceed.
Please find them as a kind of "concrete congratulation" to your work :)

Impressions:
===========

- design is nice and polished, default font looks professional
- responsiveness and speed of browsing seems now fast enough
- very nice and simple Word menu
- nicely enhanced Inspector
- nice Google-like search in browser
- Aida is among few projects on DEVImageWorkspace, thanks guys!
- Settings browser is a real progress forward, nicely organized, but
  with still too much choices. I suppose many settings are never or
  really rarely used, those should be put outside this Settings browser.
- Help system also looks very promising! With an introduction of
  context help also (like ? icons elsewhere) we can come close to ideal
  help. Of course we need also good docs writers to write a really good
  help, nicely balanced between a newcomer than expert viewpoint.

Suggestions:
===========

- some Start button? Maybe named World? Not just ProfStef's 'go
  evaluation' (which is much better than nothing of course). At least a
  right click to come to a Word menu must be explained somewhere at the
  start, otherwise one is lost how to proceed.

- window buttons on Linux and Windows are on the wrong side. This is
  very dangerous thing, user can quickly make en error and accidentialy
  close a window. In any case it is very very annoying! A real
  showstopper for me!

- System browser has no package view, just categories. This is
  confusing to newcomers, what are packages, what categories? Having
  packages also in a category view will be more understandable.

- back button in browser, like on web browsers!

- why hierarchy button opens a new browser, why rather not toggle
  hierarchy/category view in the same window?

- in general: avoid opening new windows, rather "reuse" the same one.
  This is the current usability trend elsewhere.

- What about introducing tabs in browser? This is very very useful and
  handy, mostly because we are used of tabs from web browsers.

- Browser opens just too small size. It should open in a size
  recomendable for further development (like for encouraging the 10
  lines per method rule)

- What if we introduce "add class", "add method" etc. dialogs in menu
  too? Yes yes I know, but look from a newcomer perspective..

- Search line on the top of browser should have a 'Search:' at the
  start, to find it easily with an eye. What if it ignore the
  upper/lowercase by default. Users are used of ignore-case search from
  elsewhere, like Google.

- Inspector and explorer still two different but very similar things.
  Inspector is now much better than before, having tree view of
  inspected object do we still need to add confusion with additional
  explorer?

- Help needs a search field. API docs hierarchy is quite deep and
  without a search near to unusable. Also, in a System browser there
  need to be a link to the corresponding help text. And vice versa,
  link to the class in browser from help.

- Still no breakpoints! Please introduce them, Squeak/Pharo seems
  nowadays the only Smalltalk without breakpoints!

- why isn't a class comment visible below the class definition in the
  same pane, as was once?

- Undocumented classes should have a special mark to encourage
  commenting them. Maybe that question mark button (?) in red color?

- Popup menu in method pane is too large, some choices not really so
  important to be there (like paste..., explore it, do again(redo?) )
- Popup menu: choices find, find again, extended search should be
  joined in one find...
- Popup menu: set breakpoint, clear breakpoint

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Pharo 1.1. impressions and suggestions

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks janko

Give me another engineer and we redo completely the browsers :)
Stef

> [...]
>
> - Undocumented classes should have a special mark to encourage
>  commenting them. Maybe that question mark button (?) in red color?
>
> - Popup menu in method pane is too large, some choices not really so
>  important to be there (like paste..., explore it, do again(redo?) )
> - Popup menu: choices find, find again, extended search should be
>  joined in one find...
> - Popup menu: set breakpoint, clear breakpoint
>

> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Svetovalec za informatiko
> Eranova d.o.o.
> Ljubljana, Slovenija
> www.eranova.si
> tel:  01 514 22 55
> faks: 01 514 22 56
> gsm: 031 674 565

Re: Pharo 1.1. impressions and suggestions

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Janko. All this feedback is very much appreciatted. I will answer inline what I know.

Suggestions:
===========

- some Start button? Maybe named World? Not just ProfStef's 'go
 evaluation' (which is much better than nothing of course). At least a
 right click to come to a Word menu must be explained somewhere at the
 start, otherwise one is lost how to proceed.

you mean in the welcome workspace to put the button to replace the evaluation of ProfStef go ?

- window buttons on Linux and Windows are on the wrong side. This is
 very dangerous thing, user can quickly make en error and accidentialy
 close a window. In any case it is very very annoying! A real
 showstopper for me!

I agree!!!  Several times was asked to has this behavior depending of the OS where you are.
gary any idea how to do this?

- System browser has no package view, just categories. This is
 confusing to newcomers, what are packages, what categories? Having
 packages also in a category view will be more understandable.

+1  But you can see O2. It has packages.

- back button in browser, like on web browsers!

O2 has too

- why hierarchy button opens a new browser, why rather not toggle
 hierarchy/category view in the same window?

I like the idea

- Browser opens just too small size. It should open in a size
 recomendable for further development (like for encouraging the 10
 lines per method rule)

+1

- Search line on the top of browser should have a 'Search:' at the
 start, to find it easily with an eye. What if it ignore the
 upper/lowercase by default. Users are used of ignore-case search from
 elsewhere, like Google.

Yes, in O2 it is exactly like that. I wish OB to be like that too. Lukas?

- Still no breakpoints! Please introduce them, Squeak/Pharo seems
 nowadays the only Smalltalk without breakpoints!

I would love this also so that not to change my code or forget them.

- why isn't a class comment visible below the class definition in the
 same pane, as was once?

would be nice too...maybe there is a simple setting for that?  in such case I can enable for the dev images if people agree

- Undocumented classes should have a special mark to encourage
 commenting them. Maybe that question mark button (?) in red color?

good idea

Cheers

Mariano

Best regards