Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

Markus Schlager-2
Hi all,

I'm teaching smalltalk to my pupils using a ProfStef-tutorial
(http://www.lsh-marquartstein.de/schule/unterricht/faecher/informatik/unterrichtsmaterial/info10/smalltalk/MS-info10-ProfStef-MarkusSchlager.mcz/view).

Currently we're using pharo 1.1. In pharo 1.2 ProfStefBrowser obviously
got replaced by another HelpBrowser. (What you get with Help->ProfStef
Tutorials).

I'm missing two things:

- syntax-highlighting: Is there any way, I can activate this easily?
- navigation-buttons and page-counter (at the moment, my tutorial has
about 60 pages): any chance to get these back?

Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

laurent laffont
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm teaching smalltalk to my pupils using a ProfStef-tutorial (http://www.lsh-marquartstein.de/schule/unterricht/faecher/informatik/unterrichtsmaterial/info10/smalltalk/MS-info10-ProfStef-MarkusSchlager.mcz/view).

Currently we're using pharo 1.1. In pharo 1.2 ProfStefBrowser obviously got replaced by another HelpBrowser. (What you get with Help->ProfStef Tutorials).

Yes I removed ProfStefBrowser because it was not maintained anymore and didn't have the courage to fix it.

HelpBrowser was here and interfacing it with ProfStef was almost free so....

I'm missing two things:

- syntax-highlighting: Is there any way, I can activate this easily?

Torsten, is it possible to activate syntax-highlighting  for an HelpSystem book ?

- navigation-buttons and page-counter (at the moment, my tutorial has about 60 pages): any chance to get these back?

I think this may be useful for all HelpSystem books.... Torsten, what do you think ?

Indeed, to create a navigator just evaluate:

DockingBarMorph new
addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #last label: '>>' help: 'Last lesson');
addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #next label: '>' help: 'Next lesson');
addMorph:(UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #previous label: '<' help: 'Previous lesson');
addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #first label: '<<' help: 'First lesson');
addMorph: (UITheme builder newLabel: 'ProfStef navigator');
adhereTo: #top;
color: (Color white alpha: 0.4);
borderWidth: 0;
openInWorld.

Should be fun to have it in the tutorial :)

Laurent.

Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

these requirements have nothing to do with a help system
and is more oriented towards a "teaching Smalltalk" tool
HelpBrowser should stay generic as possible. One addition
I can imagine in the future is to use rich text (HTML)
instead of plain ASCII, of we find the time to look at
Scamper again.

However a few notes:
  - you can subclass HelpBrowser or implement another tool
    "TutorialBrowser" using HelpBrowser as template
  - highlighting: PluggableTextMorph is used, see
    PluggableTextMorph>>defaultViewerClass which can be
    overwritten by subclasses
    dont know if PluggableTextMorph supports SH out of the
    box after the recent shout refactoring
    (I think there is now also SmalltalkEditor)
  - a help book is a tree, displaying page numbers makes
    more sense for linear tutorials like ProfStef, doesnt it?
  - see HelpBrowser>>initWindow to see how the UI is done
    again you can overwrite it in subclasses or after
    a super call adjust the UI

Did you ever try ScriptManager (WorldMenu - Tools - ScriptManager)
It has Syntax highl. out of the box and you can save the results
in files. Should be easy to extend with buttons if you need too.

Bye
T.

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm teaching smalltalk to my pupils using a ProfStef-tutorial (
> >
> http://www.lsh-marquartstein.de/schule/unterricht/faecher/informatik/unterrichtsmaterial/info10/smalltalk/MS-info10-ProfStef-MarkusSchlager.mcz/view
> > ).
> >
> > Currently we're using pharo 1.1. In pharo 1.2 ProfStefBrowser obviously
> got
> > replaced by another HelpBrowser. (What you get with Help->ProfStef
> > Tutorials).
> >

> Yes I removed ProfStefBrowser because it was not maintained anymore and

> didn't have the courage to fix it.
>
> HelpBrowser was here and interfacing it with ProfStef was almost free
> so....
>

> I'm missing two things:
> >
> > - syntax-highlighting: Is there any way, I can activate this easily?
> >

> Torsten, is it possible to activate syntax-highlighting  for an HelpSystem
> book ?

> > - navigation-buttons and page-counter (at the moment, my tutorial has
> about
> > 60 pages): any chance to get these back?
>

> I think this may be useful for all HelpSystem books.... Torsten, what do
> you
> think ?
>
> Indeed, to create a navigator just evaluate:
>
> DockingBarMorph new
> addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #last label:
> '>>'
> help: 'Last lesson');
>  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #next label:
> '>'
> help: 'Next lesson');
> addMorph:(UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #previous label:
> '<' help: 'Previous lesson');
>  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #first label:
> '<<' help: 'First lesson');
> addMorph: (UITheme builder newLabel: 'ProfStef navigator');
>  adhereTo: #top;
> color: (Color white alpha: 0.4);
> borderWidth: 0;
>  openInWorld.
>
> Should be fun to have it in the tutorial :)
>
> Laurent.
>

> > Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

laurent laffont
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

these requirements have nothing to do with a help system
and is more oriented towards a "teaching Smalltalk" tool
HelpBrowser should stay generic as possible. One addition
I can imagine in the future is to use rich text (HTML)
instead of plain ASCII, of we find the time to look at
Scamper again.

It seems putting Scamper into the game is not so easy.....

However a few notes:
 - you can subclass HelpBrowser or implement another tool
   "TutorialBrowser" using HelpBrowser as template

OK. May be an HelpSystem book could specify its default viewer class...

 - highlighting: PluggableTextMorph is used, see
   PluggableTextMorph>>defaultViewerClass which can be
   overwritten by subclasses
   dont know if PluggableTextMorph supports SH out of the
   box after the recent shout refactoring
   (I think there is now also SmalltalkEditor)
 - a help book is a tree, displaying page numbers makes
   more sense for linear tutorials like ProfStef, doesnt it?

OK. I will add the page number in front of the page title like the 'Metacello Development Cycle' tutorial.

Indeed, the title of the HelpBrowser window could be updated with the title of the current page.

 - see HelpBrowser>>initWindow to see how the UI is done
   again you can overwrite it in subclasses or after
   a super call adjust the UI

OK thanks.

Did you ever try ScriptManager (WorldMenu - Tools - ScriptManager)

Yes

It has Syntax highl. out of the box and you can save the results
in files. Should be easy to extend with buttons if you need too.

Personnally I like browsing ProfStef tutorials (and there's 7 tutorials in Pharo 1.2) in HelpBrowser.

Thanks Torsten. I may have some time in the next days to improve this.

Laurent

Bye
T.

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm teaching smalltalk to my pupils using a ProfStef-tutorial (
> >
> http://www.lsh-marquartstein.de/schule/unterricht/faecher/informatik/unterrichtsmaterial/info10/smalltalk/MS-info10-ProfStef-MarkusSchlager.mcz/view
> > ).
> >
> > Currently we're using pharo 1.1. In pharo 1.2 ProfStefBrowser obviously
> got
> > replaced by another HelpBrowser. (What you get with Help->ProfStef
> > Tutorials).
> >

> Yes I removed ProfStefBrowser because it was not maintained anymore and

> didn't have the courage to fix it.
>
> HelpBrowser was here and interfacing it with ProfStef was almost free
> so....
>

> I'm missing two things:
> >
> > - syntax-highlighting: Is there any way, I can activate this easily?
> >

> Torsten, is it possible to activate syntax-highlighting  for an HelpSystem
> book ?

> > - navigation-buttons and page-counter (at the moment, my tutorial has
> about
> > 60 pages): any chance to get these back?
>

> I think this may be useful for all HelpSystem books.... Torsten, what do
> you
> think ?
>
> Indeed, to create a navigator just evaluate:
>
> DockingBarMorph new
> addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #last label:
> '>>'
> help: 'Last lesson');
>  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #next label:
> '>'
> help: 'Next lesson');
> addMorph:(UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #previous label:
> '<' help: 'Previous lesson');
>  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #first label:
> '<<' help: 'First lesson');
> addMorph: (UITheme builder newLabel: 'ProfStef navigator');
>  adhereTo: #top;
> color: (Color white alpha: 0.4);
> borderWidth: 0;
>  openInWorld.
>
> Should be fun to have it in the tutorial :)
>
> Laurent.
>

> > Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

Tudor Girba
I have a ProfStef browser in the GlamorousToolkit project.

If you want to give it a try you can download a ready made image from (based on Pharo 1.2.1):
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/glamorous-toolkit-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/glamoroust/*zip*/glamoroust.zip

Or load it in your image by:
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'glamoroust';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamoroust';
        load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlamoroust) perform: #loadDefault.

To play with the existing tutorials, start it with:
GTProfStefEncyclopedia open

Cheers,
Doru

On 29 Apr 2011, at 18:03, laurent laffont wrote:

> [...]
> > think ?
> >
> > Indeed, to create a navigator just evaluate:
> >
> > DockingBarMorph new
> > addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #last label:
> > '>>'
> > help: 'Last lesson');
> >  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #next label:
> > '>'
> > help: 'Next lesson');
> > addMorph:(UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #previous label:
> > '<' help: 'Previous lesson');
> >  addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #first label:
> > '<<' help: 'First lesson');
> > addMorph: (UITheme builder newLabel: 'ProfStef navigator');
> >  adhereTo: #top;
> > color: (Color white alpha: 0.4);
> > borderWidth: 0;
> >  openInWorld.
> >
> > Should be fun to have it in the tutorial :)

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

patmaddox
I think a help system for smalltalk absolutely benefits from smalltalk syntax highlighting. And any time you're flipping through pages of documentation, it's useful to know what page you're on, how many pages are left, and to be able to easily flip back and forth between them. "Nothing to do with a help system?" I wholeheartedly disagree...

Pat

On Apr 29, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> [...]
>> think ?
>>
>> Indeed, to create a navigator just evaluate:
>>
>> DockingBarMorph new
>> addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #last label:
>> '>>'
>> help: 'Last lesson');
>> addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #next label:
>> '>'
>> help: 'Next lesson');
>> addMorph:(UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #previous label:
>> '<' help: 'Previous lesson');
>> addMorph: (UITheme builder newButtonFor: ProfStef action: #first label:
>> '<<' help: 'First lesson');
>> addMorph: (UITheme builder newLabel: 'ProfStef navigator');
>> adhereTo: #top;
>> color: (Color white alpha: 0.4);
>> borderWidth: 0;
>> openInWorld.
>>
>> Should be fun to have it in the tutorial :)

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

Markus Schlager-2
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Pat Maddox wrote:

> I think a help system for smalltalk absolutely benefits from smalltalk syntax highlighting.

syntax highlighting can make it tricky though to write help texts, I
guess. At least with ProfStefTutorials you need lots of " and ' in order
to get other colors than just red, since there isn't any switch to mark
text as code.

Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

laurent laffont
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Pat Maddox wrote:

I think a help system for smalltalk absolutely benefits from smalltalk syntax highlighting.

syntax highlighting can make it tricky though to write help texts, I guess. At least with ProfStefTutorials you need lots of " and ' in order to get other colors than just red, since there isn't any switch to mark text as code.

One way is having lessons written with a Pier syntax as done with HelpSystem wikiStyleHelp: pragma.

Laurent.

Markus

Re: Pharo 1.2.1 and ProfStef

laurent laffont
Here's a version of HelpSystem + ProfStef-Help with syntax highlighting (works in 1.2 and 1.3):

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'LaurentLSandbox';
package: 'HelpSystem-Core';
package: 'ProfStef-Help';
load

Torsten, I've added
HelpTopic>>beStyled
HelpTopic>>isStyled

and change
HelpBrowser>>onItemClick

So an HelpTopic can tell if it want syntax highlighting or not. If you're OK I push in HelpSystem repo.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/