Pharo 1.2.1

David Perkins
Hello!

I just downloaded Pharo 1.2.1 on my Mac OS X.5, and am also reading a printed copy of "Pharo By Example Version 2010-02-01" in order to learn Smalltalk.

In the Quick Tour chapter, you show the Preference Browser, but I am unable to bring this up using the System ... menu option.  Does it need to be installed separately?

Also in the Quick Tour chapter, you give an example BouncingAtomsMorph new openInWorld, which fails with the message "unknown variable BouncingAtomsMorph ...". Does this also need installation?

Please forgive my beginner questions.

Thanks!!

David Perkins

Re: Pharo 1.2.1

Marcus Denker-4
Hello,

The Book (sadly) describes a quite old version of Pharo (1.0 with a special Code Browser).

In the meantime, we changed (improved, simplified) *a lot* of things...

The problem is that it's futile to try to keep the book up to date. We will make a new one for 2.0 :-)

So the best is to use the version linked from http://pharobyexample.org/

        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip

when doing exercises from the book.

        Marcus

On Aug 3, 2011, at 5:11 PM, David Perkins wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just downloaded Pharo 1.2.1 on my Mac OS X.5, and am also reading a printed copy of "Pharo By Example Version 2010-02-01" in order to learn Smalltalk.
>
> In the Quick Tour chapter, you show the Preference Browser, but I am unable to bring this up using the System ... menu option.  Does it need to be installed separately?
>
> Also in the Quick Tour chapter, you give an example BouncingAtomsMorph new openInWorld, which fails with the message "unknown variable BouncingAtomsMorph ...". Does this also need installation?
>
> Please forgive my beginner questions.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> David Perkins

Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de