Pharo 1.3 release

12

Pharo 1.3 release

laurent laffont
Hi,

maybe I haven't read correctly the mailing-list but I still don't know if Pharo 1.3 is released or not, cannot find any official announcement, release date ....

The website is misleading, I can help on this, but need to be sure.

I've also prepared a french announcement but needs to be up to date before.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Marcus Denker-4
The state is the same as 3 week ago, (and I fear the same as in 3 weeks):

        -> image is finished, there are some (5 or so bugreport) that will be integrated as they get fixed,
             but this does not hold up the release

        -> What is missing are VMs and the one-click. I do not know which VMs to take. This has not changed in 3 weeks.

So maybe we should just release with the same VMs as 1.2, just to get it done?

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So maybe we should just release with the same VMs as 1.2, just to get it done?

What is the problem with the 1.2 VM that doesn't make it a good
candidate for 1.3 ?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

patmaddox
1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?

Pat

On Aug 29, 2011, at 10:53 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe I haven't read correctly the mailing-list but I still don't know if Pharo 1.3 is released or not, cannot find any official announcement, release date ....
>
> The website is misleading, I can help on this, but need to be sure.
>
> I've also prepared a french announcement but needs to be up to date before.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Igor

I was thinking about it yesterday
do you have the vms?

Marcus and others do we introduce the fix for the 'broken' syntax highlight because it touches a lot of code?
and this is really late in the process and this is not a showstopper.

Stef

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
>
> Pat

situation is really simple
        1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
        we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it

        1.4 in alpha

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

laurent laffont
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
>
> Pat

situation is really simple
       1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
       we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it

I can update the website when you tell me.

Laurent.

       1.4 in alpha

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:52 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>
> > 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
> >
> > Pat
>
> situation is really simple
>        1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
>        we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it
>

> I can update the website when you tell me.
>
> Laurent.

thanks laurent

could you add a little info and a link on the latest 1.3 release candidate?

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

laurent laffont
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:52 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>
> > 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
> >
> > Pat
>
> situation is really simple
>        1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
>        we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it
>

> I can update the website when you tell me.
>
> Laurent.

thanks laurent

could you add a little info and a link on the latest 1.3 release candidate?

Yes. I've tried but I'm stupid I don't know how to add a blog post on cmsbox :) I'm waiting Adrian answer but maybe one of you know ?

Laurent.

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 30, 2011, at 9:48 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:52 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:
> >
> > > 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
> > >
> > > Pat
> >
> > situation is really simple
> >        1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
> >        we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it
> >

> > I can update the website when you tell me.
> >
> > Laurent.
>
> thanks laurent
>
> could you add a little info and a link on the latest 1.3 release candidate?
>

> Yes. I've tried but I'm stupid I don't know how to add a blog post on cmsbox :) I'm waiting Adrian answer but maybe one of you know ?

I would not do a blog post but just put infos on

http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 9:48 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:52 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:
> >
> > > 1.2 is for download on the site, 1.3 is listed on the site with no links, and 1.4 is discussed on the mailing list. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Pharo, which version is being actively developed and maintained, which one to use, etc. It is very frustrating. So what's the deal with the Pharo "roadmap" ?
> > >
> > > Pat
> >
> > situation is really simple
> >        1.3 is in post release candidate mode.
> >        we should build the one click distribution, update the web site and announce it
> >

> > I can update the website when you tell me.
> >
> > Laurent.
>
> thanks laurent
>
> could you add a little info and a link on the latest 1.3 release candidate?
>

> Yes. I've tried but I'm stupid I don't know how to add a blog post on cmsbox :) I'm waiting Adrian answer but maybe one of you know ?

I would not do a blog post but just put infos on

http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Nice and clear info. The only thing that I see left that may be confusing is the ci shortcut on the home page. Since there are currently two ci servers, I think the ci link should take you to another page explaining the difference and where they're headed.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Tx laurent!
Already much much better.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice and clear info. The only thing that I see left that may be confusing is
the ci shortcut on the home page. Since there are currently two ci servers,
I think the ci link should take you to another page explaining the
difference and where they're headed.

Is hudson will be dropped  or will stay around ?

Laurent

Sean

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:21 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice and clear info. The only thing that I see left that may be confusing is
> the ci shortcut on the home page. Since there are currently two ci servers,
> I think the ci link should take you to another page explaining the
> difference and where they're headed.
>

> Is hudson will be dropped  or will stay around ?

Hudson will be discontinued at some point. But we need to move everything Jenkins before.

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Mariano Martinez Peck
so what is missing now? just an ANN email?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:21 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice and clear info. The only thing that I see left that may be confusing is
> the ci shortcut on the home page. Since there are currently two ci servers,
> I think the ci link should take you to another page explaining the
> difference and where they're headed.
>

> Is hudson will be dropped  or will stay around ?

Hudson will be discontinued at some point. But we need to move everything Jenkins before.

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> so what is missing now? just an ANN email?

No, as much as I know we do not have yet a One-Click with current VMs...

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:21 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice and clear info. The only thing that I see left that may be confusing is
> the ci shortcut on the home page. Since there are currently two ci servers,
> I think the ci link should take you to another page explaining the
> difference and where they're headed.
>

> Is hudson will be dropped  or will stay around ?

Hudson will be discontinued at some point. But we need to move everything Jenkins before.

OK. I will add some explanations.

Laurent.

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Igor Stasenko
On 30 August 2011 17:17, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> so what is missing now? just an ANN email?
>>

> No, as much as I know we do not have yet a One-Click with current VMs...

yes, i am working on that.

The delay was because:

a) some critical fixes to VM were added recently, and i would like
them to be in release
  - fix with become primitive
  - fix a command-line interface for Cocoa VMs , which we were able to
do with Esteban @ ESUG

b) due to squeaksource failures and other mess with
jenkins/hudson/windows slave things get delayed

please, do not treat me as an asshole, who spoils the fun and delays
and delays.. but i just want to make sure that we're releasing
something more or less stable and usable :)

I will verify everything in a couple of days, and then will just give
the VMs to Markus to package them in one-click distro..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo 1.3 release

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks a lot, Igor!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

12