Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
We are proud to announce the summer release of Pharo 1.4!
You can find information about Pharo at: http://www.pharo-project.org

About this release.

We integrated 30 fixes (the rounded number is completely casual) and integrated some tools that users feedback showed as necessary, specially the inclusion of OmniBrowser as part of the core for 1.4.  As a result of all this changes and fixes, the stability of this version is a lot better and we are really happy with it.

Structural changes to the image:

- Backport configurations browser from 2.0. This will easy the loading of packages for everybody, specially newcomers.
- Integrated ProfStef. Again, useful for newcomers.
- Integrated Spotlight. Easy to find classes and methods.
- Integrated OmniBrowser. Nautilus will wait to 2.0 to be core, but it is still loadable.
- Integrated Keymapping. This is in fact a sub-product of the inclusion of Spotlight, but the framework is powerful and it deserves its inclusion too :)
- Updated Zinc to latest version.

Complete list of bugs fixed:

- 5665: bug on new ecompletion/ocompletion, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5665
- 5773: Have access to the original event in PLuggableButtonMorph, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5773
- 5584: File Browser not recognizing cs and st if filename has more than one point, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5584
- 5667: Renaming a file just deletes it due to missing #fileNameFromFormattedItem:, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5667
- 5445: Broken command-line arguments in 1.4, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5445
- 5679: Removing a trait does not remove trait methods from class, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5679
- 5722: Be able to remove traits from class definition, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5722
- 5858: DateAndTime >>#hash, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5858
- 5833: More robust allSuperclassesIncluding:, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5833
- 5966: DropListMorph do not pop the list when the text field is clicked, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5966
- 5627: "MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "displayWorld" is nil" on clicking the red Menu-Halo., http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5627
- 5742: BallonMorph shows flyover help using an extra line, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5742
- 6150: During snapshot: Send cr after Transcript message for 1.4, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6150
- 6147: Code completion in all tools for 1.4, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6147
- 6189: [BUG]: Port to Pharo 1.4 - stdin hangs until EOF, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6189
- 6143: MIME decoding and Unicode not working, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6143
- 6188: [BUG]: (1.4) Put back the correct order in #asert:equals:, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6188
- 6187: [Bug]: (1.4) Mouse down events are being processed twice, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6187
- 6117: SimplifiedChineseEnvironment should implement leadingChar, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6117
- 6082: Missed translated selector for the dialog title in the ColorChooserMorph, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6082
- 6231: FileList revert, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6231
- 6303: [BUG]: Completion DNU in Inspector/Object Explorer for 1.4, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6303
- 6305: StartupPreferences "run once" broken, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6305
- 6324: For Pharo 1.4 disable StartupPreferences only for Windows, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6324
- 6313: failing test: MorphicTests.Event.EventHandlerTest.testKeyStrokeFromMorph, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6313
- 6352: StartupPreferences loads non-st files in 1.4, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6352, ,
- 6373: Add #version to OSPlatform, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6373
- 6366: [Bug]: In 1.4, Finder UI DNU guessTypeByName:, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6366
- 6343: move Windows on screen should take in account the task bar, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6343
- 6386: [BUG]: [1.4]: New ProcessSpecificVariables & Running Processes, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6386

Not bad, isn't?

Thanks a lot to all who contributed with fixes, reports and suggestions.

The Pharo Team

Re: Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 18 Jul 2012, at 17:57, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> We are proud to announce the summer release of Pharo 1.4!

+100

Great work, everybody !

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

fstephany
Thanks Esteban (and all the Pharo team!)

I don't find it on the website :/ There's only "Realease 1.4".

On 18/07/12 08:57, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> [...]
> ColorChooserMorph, http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6082
> - 6231: FileList revert,
> - 6303: [BUG]: Completion DNU in Inspector/Object Explorer for 1.4,
> - 6305: StartupPreferences "run once" broken,
> - 6324: For Pharo 1.4 disable StartupPreferences only for Windows,
> - 6313: failing test:
> MorphicTests.Event.EventHandlerTest.testKeyStrokeFromMorph,
> - 6352: StartupPreferences loads non-st files in 1.4,
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6352, ,
> - 6373: Add #version to OSPlatform,
> - 6366: [Bug]: In 1.4, Finder UI DNU guessTypeByName:,
> - 6343: move Windows on screen should take in account the task bar,
> - 6386: [BUG]: [1.4]: New ProcessSpecificVariables & Running Processes,
>
> Not bad, isn't?
>
> Thanks a lot to all who contributed with fixes, reports and suggestions.

http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
but the links are updated :)
maybe I should change the name too...

Esteban

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:

> [...]
>> - 6352: StartupPreferences loads non-st files in 1.4,
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6352, ,
>> - 6373: Add #version to OSPlatform,
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6373
>> - 6366: [Bug]: In 1.4, Finder UI DNU guessTypeByName:,
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6366
>> - 6343: move Windows on screen should take in account the task bar,
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6343
>> - 6386: [BUG]: [1.4]: New ProcessSpecificVariables & Running Processes,
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6386
>>
>> Not bad, isn't?
>>
>> Thanks a lot to all who contributed with fixes, reports and suggestions.
>>
>> The Pharo Team

> http://tulipemoutarde.be
> CA: +1 778 558 3225
> BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

and there it is... I updated the link names too :)

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:14 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6352, ,
>>> - 6373: Add #version to OSPlatform,
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6373
>>> - 6366: [Bug]: In 1.4, Finder UI DNU guessTypeByName:,
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6366
>>> - 6343: move Windows on screen should take in account the task bar,
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6343
>>> - 6386: [BUG]: [1.4]: New ProcessSpecificVariables & Running Processes,
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6386
>>>
>>> Not bad, isn't?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot to all who contributed with fixes, reports and suggestions.
>>>
>>> The Pharo Team

>> --
>> http://tulipemoutarde.be
>> CA: +1 778 558 3225
>> BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

Aaaaaaah ok :)

I was expecting two different links: 1.4 and 1.4-Summer

Don't you keep a link to the first 1.4 version? It is a bit weird to see
a version to disappear (e.g., it's not because 1.4 is out that 1.3 is
not downloadable anymore).

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
they are there... somewhere :)

no seriously, all old versions are kept in the file server: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

the link is more or less hide, and probably should be shown in a better way... but is there :)

Esteban

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:

[...]

Yep but what worries me is that we have two Pharo 1.4 named Pharo 1.4.

If someone tells me he downloaded Pharo 1.4 on the website, it is not
the same version if he dowloaded yesterday or today.

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
no, you have one 1.4 and one 1.4 "Summer".
also... you have the update number... 1.4 is in fact 1.4-14456 (that's what you download, both for image or one click)

so, you can not be lost anyway :)

Esteban

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:56 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:

> Yep but what worries me is that we have two Pharo 1.4 named Pharo 1.4.
>
> If someone tells me he downloaded Pharo 1.4 on the website, it is not the same version if he dowloaded yesterday or today.
>
> On 18/07/12 13:49, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> they are there... somewhere :)
>>
>> no seriously, all old versions are kept in the file server:
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>>
>> the link is more or less hide, and probably should be shown in a better
>> way... but is there :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:
>>
>>> Aaaaaaah ok :)
>>>
>>> I was expecting two different links: 1.4 and 1.4-Summer
>>>
>>> Don't you keep a link to the first 1.4 version? It is a bit weird to
>>> see a version to disappear (e.g., it's not because 1.4 is out that 1.3
>>> is not downloadable anymore).

>>> --
>>> http://tulipemoutarde.be
>>> CA: +1 778 558 3225
>>> BE: +32 65 709 131
>>>

> --
> http://tulipemoutarde.be
> CA: +1 778 558 3225
> BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

fstephany
Ok !
And the original 1.4 was 1.4-14??? Is there a way to make the
distinction in a Metacello configuration?

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
it was 1.4-14438
there is always the build number as part of the information (and of course, bigger build number means more recent image)

On Jul 18, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:

> Ok !
> And the original 1.4 was 1.4-14??? Is there a way to make the distinction in a Metacello configuration?
>
> On 18/07/12 14:00, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> no, you have one 1.4 and one 1.4 "Summer".
>> also... you have the update number... 1.4 is in fact 1.4-14456 (that's what you download, both for image or one click)
>>
>> so, you can not be lost anyway :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:56 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:
>>
>>> Yep but what worries me is that we have two Pharo 1.4 named Pharo 1.4.
>>>
>>> If someone tells me he downloaded Pharo 1.4 on the website, it is not the same version if he dowloaded yesterday or today.

>>> --
>>> http://tulipemoutarde.be
>>> CA: +1 778 558 3225
>>> BE: +32 65 709 131
>>>

> --
> http://tulipemoutarde.be
> CA: +1 778 558 3225
> BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

Dale Henrichs
Pharo controls the list of Metacello attributes (#pharo1.x #pharo1.4.x, etc) so the build number could be included (or deeper nesting of version numbers)... version numbers are better than build numbers for this sort of thing - tagging ... too many build numbers to be practical for use in Metacello config ...

Dale

| And the original 1.4 was 1.4-14??? Is there a way to make the
| distinction in a Metacello configuration?
|
| On 18/07/12 14:00, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
| > no, you have one 1.4 and one 1.4 "Summer".
| > also... you have the update number... 1.4 is in fact 1.4-14456
| > (that's what you download, both for image or one click)
| >
| > so, you can not be lost anyway :)
| >
| > Esteban
| >
| > On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:56 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:
| >
| >> Yep but what worries me is that we have two Pharo 1.4 named Pharo
| >> 1.4.
| >>
| >> If someone tells me he downloaded Pharo 1.4 on the website, it is
| >> not the same version if he dowloaded yesterday or today.

| >> --
| >> http://tulipemoutarde.be
| >> CA: +1 778 558 3225
| >> BE: +32 65 709 131
| >>

| --
| http://tulipemoutarde.be
| CA: +1 778 558 3225
| BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

fstephany
Ok! Thanks Dale :)

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Esug-list] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

EstebanLM
That should not be necessary, and in some way is part of the purpose of not adding a number... This is just a bug fix release and what loads in 1.4 loads in summer too... No need to have different attributes.

Esteban

On 18/07/2012, at 23:47, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pharo controls the list of Metacello attributes (#pharo1.x #pharo1.4.x, etc) so the build number could be included (or deeper nesting of version numbers)... version numbers are better than build numbers for this sort of thing - tagging ... too many build numbers to be practical for use in Metacello config ...
>
> Dale

Right! Thanks for all your work Esteban!

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Vm-dev] Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

Tudor Girba-2

Not bad at all :).

Moose already builds since a week on top of the pre summer release (14455). Now, it's building on the summer one.

Thanks,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: Pharo 1.4 "Summer" released!

Markus Schlager-2
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> - Integrated ProfStef. Again, useful for newcomers.

... and for teachers :)

thanks a lot

Markus