Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

dario trussardi
Hi,

        i work with Pharo1.4 Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.

        I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.

        I load the relative Zodiac  1.0 version

        In the http://zdc.stfx.eu/zodiac-paper.html  i read:
                " Installation instructions can be found there. Note that Zodiac not only requires Smalltalk code but a VM plugin as well, some VMs include the plugin by default. "
        Now when i do https request :
                  ZnEasy get: 'https://www.sandbox.paypal.com'.
                 the system erase the error:
                PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed
        What i need to do ?
        I can download a Pharo image with the relative VM plugin installed ?
        Thanks for any consideration.
        Dario

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Dario,

On 27 Jun 2012, at 15:29, Dario Trussardi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i work with Pharo1.4 Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.
>
> I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.
>
> I load the relative Zodiac  1.0 version
>
> In the http://zdc.stfx.eu/zodiac-paper.html  i read:
> " Installation instructions can be found there. Note that Zodiac not only requires Smalltalk code but a VM plugin as well, some VMs include the plugin by default. "
> Now when i do https request :
>  ZnEasy get: 'https://www.sandbox.paypal.com'.
> the system erase the error:
> PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed
> What i need to do ?
> I can download a Pharo image with the relative VM plugin installed ?
> Thanks for any consideration.
> Dario

Download the latest CogVM from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
at the bottom of the page; that VM should already include the necessary plugin.

Then do

Gofer it
 squeaksource: 'Zodiac';
 package: 'Zodiac-Core';
 package: 'Zodiac-Tests';
 load.

and for some more tests

Gofer it
 squeaksource: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
 package: 'Zinc-Zodiac';
 load.

That should be all to get HTTPS working.

Gofer it
 squeaksource: 'Zodiac';
 package: 'Zodiac-Extra';
 load.

Loads some other examples of TLS usage.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dario Trussardi wrote
        i work with Pharo1.4 Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.

        I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.
Funny, literally 5 minutes ago I was thinking maybe Zodiac should be included in 1.4...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 27.06.2012 15:54, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Dario Trussardi wrote
>> i work with Pharo1.4 Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.
>>
>> I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.
>>
> Funny, literally 5 minutes ago I was thinking maybe Zodiac should be
> included in 1.4...

Are Windows/Linux versions of the plugin supposed to be automatically built?
I seem to be getting the same primitive failures with the Cog-win.zip
from the pharo site...

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 27 Jun 2012, at 15:59, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> Are Windows/Linux versions of the plugin supposed to be automatically built?
> I seem to be getting the same primitive failures with the Cog-win.zip from the pharo site...

Ouch, I only checked the Mac version, that was OK.

Are you sure the plugin is missing ?

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

dario trussardi
Sven,

        i'm not expert about VM.

> Dario,
>
> On 27 Jun 2012, at 15:29, Dario Trussardi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i work with Pharo1.4 Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.
>>
>> I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.
>>
>> I load the relative Zodiac  1.0 version
>>
>> In the http://zdc.stfx.eu/zodiac-paper.html  i read:
>> " Installation instructions can be found there. Note that Zodiac not only requires Smalltalk code but a VM plugin as well, some VMs include the plugin by default. "
>> Now when i do https request :
>>  ZnEasy get: 'https://www.sandbox.paypal.com'.
>> the system erase the error:
>> PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed
>> What i need to do ?
>> I can download a Pharo image with the relative VM plugin installed ?
>> Thanks for any consideration.
>> Dario
>
> Download the latest CogVM from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
> at the bottom of the page; that VM should already include the necessary plugin.

Ok, i download it for MAC and paste it into Pharo-1.4-one-click content.

        ( I do right ? )

After i run Pharo-1.4 and do the following Gofer command:

Now after it the system erase the same error:

        PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed

I wrong something ?

Thank,

        Dario

> HTH,
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 27.06.2012 16:09, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2012, at 15:59, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>
>> Are Windows/Linux versions of the plugin supposed to be automatically built?
>> I seem to be getting the same primitive failures with the Cog-win.zip from the pharo site...
> Ouch, I only checked the Mac version, that was OK.
>
> Are you sure the plugin is missing ?
Well, there's for sure no SqueakSSL so's or dll's in the downloads.
I assumed it might be set to build as internal, in which case it doesn't
seem to be working as intended (at least on Windows)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dario Trussardi wrote
Ok, i download it for MAC and paste it into Pharo-1.4-one-click content.
If you want to use the one-click (which contains the VMs for Windows/Mac/Linux and the image), just download the pre-made one for Pharo 1.4 at https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4-one-click.zip

I just confirmed that it works on Mac Lion - i.e. all the Zodiac tests pass after loading as Sven indicated above.

In the future, for more flexibility, you can download a vm as Sven suggested and use it with your image. You can kind of think of the vm as the application and the image as the document, or if you're familiar with a language like ruby, the vm is something like the ruby interpreter.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 27 Jun 2012, at 16:21, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> Well, there's for sure no SqueakSSL so's or dll's in the downloads.
> I assumed it might be set to build as internal, in which case it doesn't seem to be working as intended (at least on Windows)

It is there the latest Mac OS and Linux VM's, but indeed not in the Windows VM.

Then you just have to add it manually from here as before:

http://code.google.com/p/squeakssl/downloads/list

Sven

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

dario trussardi
Ciao

> Dario Trussardi wrote
>>
>> Ok, i download it for MAC and paste it into Pharo-1.4-one-click content.
>>

> If you want to use the one-click (which contains the VMs for
> Windows/Mac/Linux and the image), just download the pre-made one for Pharo
> 1.4 at
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4-one-click.zip
>
> I just confirmed that it works on Mac Lion - i.e. all the Zodiac tests pass
> after loading as Sven indicated above.
>
> In the future, for more flexibility, you can download a vm as Sven suggested
> and use it with your image. You can kind of think of the vm as the
> application and the image as the document, or if you're familiar with a
> language like ruby, the vm is something like the ruby interpreter.

OK, but how i can integrate the new VM with my hold  image ?

How i can do it?

What file i need to copy in the new VM?

For now i copy the:

        PharoV10.sources
        *.image
        *.change

        into the new CogVM / Contents / Resources

        It's complete or i need to copy more things ?

After i do the command for load  gofer relative to Zinc and Zodiac

        and now all work fine.

        Thanks,

        Dario

> HTH,
> Sean

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dario Trussardi wrote
OK, but how i can integrate the new VM with my hold  image ?
For now i copy the:

        PharoV10.sources
        *.image
        *.change

        into the new CogVM / Contents / Resources
You got it! You actually just need the image and changes files.

If you had used the standalone VM that Sven linked to, you'd hook it up with your image in the standard Mac app ways, e.g.:
* double click on the VM... a window will pop up to select an image
* from the command line
    - /path/to/CogVm (inside the .app) my_image.image
    - open CogWhatever.app ...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Igor Stasenko
On 27 June 2012 16:38, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2012, at 16:21, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>
>> Well, there's for sure no SqueakSSL so's or dll's in the downloads.
>> I assumed it might be set to build as internal, in which case it doesn't seem to be working as intended (at least on Windows)
>
> It is there the latest Mac OS and Linux VM's, but indeed not in the Windows VM.

Right, we got SSL only for mac and linux.
For windows, AFAIK someone told that it has never worked. I think if
you search mailing list archive for "SSL and windows" you will find it
quickly.

The work i did with bundling 3rd party libs with VMs actually opens a
good opportunity to fix that in future
(we could DL/compile windows version of OpenSSL library and then
corresponding plugin)..
but that is something which has to be done in future.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 27 Jun 2012, at 20:37, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Right, we got SSL only for mac and linux.
> For windows, AFAIK someone told that it has never worked. I think if
> you search mailing list archive for "SSL and windows" you will find it quickly.

It does/should work, whether it works headless (whatever that means in Windows) I don't know.

Sven

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 27.06.2012 20:37, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 27 June 2012 16:38, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27 Jun 2012, at 16:21, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>>
>>> Well, there's for sure no SqueakSSL so's or dll's in the downloads.
>>> I assumed it might be set to build as internal, in which case it doesn't seem to be working as intended (at least on Windows)
>> It is there the latest Mac OS and Linux VM's, but indeed not in the Windows VM.
>>
> Right, we got SSL only for mac and linux.
> For windows, AFAIK someone told that it has never worked. I think if
> you search mailing list archive for "SSL and windows" you will find it
> quickly.
The compiled .dll Sven linked worked just fine, so *someone* must have
gotten it working :)
> The work i did with bundling 3rd party libs with VMs actually opens a
> good opportunity to fix that in future
> (we could DL/compile windows version of OpenSSL library and then
> corresponding plugin)..
> but that is something which has to be done in future.
Maybe it's just me, but I find having it available on all platforms is
sort of a nice thing before including it in a release, at least when
there's no non-plugin fallback code.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Pharo 1.4 and Zodiac

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 28, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 27.06.2012 20:37, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> It is there the latest Mac OS and Linux VM's, but indeed not in the Windows VM.
>>>
>> Right, we got SSL only for mac and linux.
>> For windows, AFAIK someone told that it has never worked. I think if
>> you search mailing list archive for "SSL and windows" you will find it
>> quickly.
> The compiled .dll Sven linked worked just fine, so *someone* must have gotten it working :)
>> The work i did with bundling 3rd party libs with VMs actually opens a
>> good opportunity to fix that in future
>> (we could DL/compile windows version of OpenSSL library and then
>> corresponding plugin)..
>> but that is something which has to be done in future.
> Maybe it's just me, but I find having it available on all platforms is sort of a nice thing before including it in a release, at least when there's no non-plugin fallback code.

I included it because I was told that all the VMs contain the plugin.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

On 27.06.2012 15:59, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 27.06.2012 15:54, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>> Dario Trussardi wrote
>>>     i work with     Pharo1.4    Latest update: #14445  on MacBook.
>>>
>>>     I'm interested  to do TLS with  Zodiac.
>>>
>> Funny, literally 5 minutes ago I was thinking maybe Zodiac should be
>> included in 1.4...
>>
>> --
>>
> Are Windows/Linux versions of the plugin supposed to be automatically
> built?
> I seem to be getting the same primitive failures with the Cog-win.zip
> from the pharo site...
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
I'm not saying I don't think "plugin not there" messages couldn't be
clearer, or that I might like to be informed that a plugin relies on 3rd
party libs which aren't available

But when code with no fallback path to the plugin primitives is included
in a released image, I would at least expect that plugin to be included
in/with provided VM's on all platforms.

Cheers,
Henry