Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm seeing ~1-2 second delays on any attempt to browse a class.  Anyone else?

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Camillo Bruni-3
which vm? which browser?

> I'm seeing ~1-2 second delays on any attempt to browse a class.  Anyone else?

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

vonbecmann
which steps to reproduce?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
which vm? which browser?

On 2012-04-04, at 18:32, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I'm seeing ~1-2 second delays on any attempt to browse a class.  Anyone else?

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm using Ubuntu Lucid, and the CogVM.  I downloaded the most recent 1.4 and started looking at the new file list (interest in the grid), and ultimately MorphTreeMorph.  It's not (reliably) reproducible, but something is causing delays in either asking for a new browser or (particularly) references to the currently selected class.  The browser is the only one in the image, which is listed simply as Browser.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Bill

On 2012-04-04, at 18:32, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I'm seeing ~1-2 second delays on any attempt to browse a class.  Anyone else?

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Camillo Bruni-3
that is rather strange :/
we had some issues with the new Nautilus browser some time ago when opening certain classes (Object, Morph...)
but otherwise I cannot remember that this happened to me :).

On 2012-04-04, at 22:09, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu Lucid, and the CogVM.  I downloaded the most recent 1.4 and started looking at the new file list (interest in the grid), and ultimately MorphTreeMorph.  It's not (reliably) reproducible, but something is causing delays in either asking for a new browser or (particularly) references to the currently selected class.  The browser is the only one in the image, which is listed simply as Browser.
>
> Sorry I can't be more specific.
>
> Bill

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
something is causing delays in either asking for a new browser or (particularly) references to the currently selected class.  The browser is the only one in the image, which is listed simply as Browser
Maybe related to http://forum.world.st/The-tools-are-dreadfully-slow-in-1-4-td4173491.html ? I was on Mac OS X (probably Lion at the time...) with the Cog VM (probably carbon)...

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-04-05, at 01:16, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
>>
>> something is causing delays in either asking for a new browser or
>> (particularly) references to the currently selected class.  The browser is
>> the only one in the image, which is listed simply as Browser
>
> Maybe related to
> http://forum.world.st/The-tools-are-dreadfully-slow-in-1-4-td4173491.html ?
> I was on Mac OS X (probably Lion at the time...) with the Cog VM (probably
> carbon)...
>
> Sean

that bug report is in vapor-mode as well...
if you find the time tryout a nautilus image:

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus-Release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Nautilus1.4.zip

cami

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Mariano Martinez Peck
I found myself that Nautilus is slow the first time you open a class. Probablt it needs to cache something...then the second time you open it, it is fast.
I would recommend to fill that cache during ConfigurationOfNautilus to avoid a wrong impression to the final user.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'll have to look around, but that would probably explain what I saw.  I'll play around later to see if it holds up.  I'm not sure about the ID of the browser though: it's listed as Browser, and there are no other choices.

On 2012-04-05, at 01:16, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
>>
>> something is causing delays in either asking for a new browser or
>> (particularly) references to the currently selected class.  The browser is
>> the only one in the image, which is listed simply as Browser
>
> Maybe related to
> http://forum.world.st/The-tools-are-dreadfully-slow-in-1-4-td4173491.html ?
> I was on Mac OS X (probably Lion at the time...) with the Cog VM (probably
> carbon)...
>
> Sean

that bug report is in vapor-mode as well...
if you find the time tryout a nautilus image:

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus-Release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Nautilus1.4.zip

cami

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo 1.4 - browse slow??

Guillermo Polito

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I found myself that Nautilus is slow the first time you open a class. Probablt it needs to cache something...then the second time you open it, it is fast.
I would recommend to fill that cache during ConfigurationOfNautilus to avoid a wrong impression to the final user.

Or having an status bar indicating that it is doing something will be gorgeus :)