Pharo 1.4 -- debugger initialExtent is too wide, centered

Pharo 1.4 -- debugger initialExtent is too wide, centered

Martin McClure-2
In Pharo 1.4, if your Display is not tiny, the initial extent of the
debugger is 2/3 the width and 4/5 the height of Display. For large
screens, this is just too big, especially too wide.

My current Display is 2396x1741x32, and I have to immediately resize any
debugger smaller in order to make it usable. I've experimented with
leaving the height as is and limiting the width to 900 in
Debugger>>initialExtent; this produces a much more usable result.

        ((w - (w // 3)) min: 900) @ (h - (h // 5))

The debugger also always centers its window in Display. Since my Display
is spread across two monitors, this means it always must be moved to be
readable. If I comment out the line

        window center: Display center.

in MorphicUIManager>>openDebugger:fullMorphicLabel:, I'm much happier.

I'd think these changes might be desirable for everyone -- comments?

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Pharo 1.4 -- debugger initialExtent is too wide, centered

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-09-22, at 23:08, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Pharo 1.4, if your Display is not tiny, the initial extent of the debugger is 2/3 the width and 4/5 the height of Display. For large screens, this is just too big, especially too wide.
>
> My current Display is 2396x1741x32, and I have to immediately resize any debugger smaller in order to make it usable. I've experimented with leaving the height as is and limiting the width to 900 in Debugger>>initialExtent; this produces a much more usable result.
>
> ((w - (w // 3)) min: 900) @ (h - (h // 5))

definitely!

> The debugger also always centers its window in Display. Since my Display is spread across two monitors, this means it always must be moved to be readable. If I comment out the line
>
> window center: Display center.
>
> in MorphicUIManager>>openDebugger:fullMorphicLabel:, I'm much happier.

+1

sounds all very reasonable! make a bug entry + a slice :)

On 09/22/2012 02:14 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

>> I'd think these changes might be desirable for everyone -- comments?
>
> sounds all very reasonable! make a bug entry + a slice :)

Thanks, will do -- maybe tomorrow I can figure out how to do that; it's
been a couple of years since my last contribution.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Pharo 1.4 -- debugger initialExtent is too wide, centered

Ben Coman
Same here.  What might also be nice would be a window menu item like
'Remember default debugger window position/size'.  Then its real easy
for anyone to customize on the fly - which might even change from day to
day.

Camillo Bruni wrote:

> On 2012-09-22, at 23:08, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> In Pharo 1.4, if your Display is not tiny, the initial extent of the debugger is 2/3 the width and 4/5 the height of Display. For large screens, this is just too big, especially too wide.
>>
>> My current Display is 2396x1741x32, and I have to immediately resize any debugger smaller in order to make it usable. I've experimented with leaving the height as is and limiting the width to 900 in Debugger>>initialExtent; this produces a much more usable result.
>>
>> ((w - (w // 3)) min: 900) @ (h - (h // 5))
>>

> definitely!
>

>> The debugger also always centers its window in Display. Since my Display is spread across two monitors, this means it always must be moved to be readable. If I comment out the line
>>
>> window center: Display center.
>>
>> in MorphicUIManager>>openDebugger:fullMorphicLabel:, I'm much happier.
>>

> +1
>

>> I'd think these changes might be desirable for everyone -- comments?
>>

> sounds all very reasonable! make a bug entry + a slice :)

Re: Pharo 1.4 -- debugger initialExtent is too wide, centered

> I'd think these changes might be desirable for everyone -- comments?
>>
>> sounds all very reasonable! make a bug entry + a slice :)
>
> Thanks, will do -- maybe tomorrow I can figure out how to do that; it's been a couple of years since my last contribution.

- Open a bug entry
- Take 1.4 or 2.0 latest
- do you change
- bring the monticello browser
- press slice
        select the right dirty packages that will be part of the slice
- commit in the inbox the slice
- mark the bug entry as FixToInclude

Easy :)