Pharo 2.0 BETA, Configs and Seaside

Torsten Bergmann
1. Since NativeBoost is now integrated I removed the config
   from the ConfigurationBrowser - because it makes no
   sense to install when it is already in the image :)

2. Please help to test external packages and if they are known
   to work on Pharo 2.0 please put a copy of ConfigurationOf...
   also into

    https://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.html

   Do not forget to put a symbolic version for #stable
   into the metacello config.

   This way they will show up in and will be loadable from
   the ConfigurationBrowser.

3. I would like to see a config with a recent Seaside for Pharo 2.0
   showing up and putting it into  ConfigurationBrowser too so Seaside is
   easily loadable right from Pharo 2.0.

   It loads well on the BETA when one uses:

     https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside31-pharo2.st

   and

        Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
                "package: 'Zinc-HTTP';"
                package: 'Zinc-Seaside';
                load.

   The only thing I've hit was some deprecation stuff
   #includesSubString: vs. includesSubstring:
   but I did not check all seaside tests.

   @Dale: whats the state of a Seaside config for Pharo 2.0?

Thanks
T.

cbc

Re: Pharo 2.0 BETA, Configs and Seaside

cbc
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
1. Since NativeBoost is now integrated I removed the config
   from the ConfigurationBrowser - because it makes no
   sense to install when it is already in the image :)
Do people only use the ConfigurationBrowser for initial installing of the packages, or does it get used for when the package is updated?  If the former, this makes a lot of sense; if the later, you might want to rethink removing it.

-Chris

Re: Pharo 2.0 BETA, Configs and Seaside

Paul DeBruicker
Torsten Bergmann wrote
3. I would like to see a config with a recent Seaside for Pharo 2.0
   showing up and putting it into  ConfigurationBrowser too so Seaside is
   easily loadable right from Pharo 2.0.

   It loads well on the BETA when one uses:

     https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/seaside31-pharo2.st

   and

        Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
                "package: 'Zinc-HTTP';"
                package: 'Zinc-Seaside';
                load.

   The only thing I've hit was some deprecation stuff
   #includesSubString: vs. includesSubstring:
   but I did not check all seaside tests.

   @Dale: whats the state of a Seaside config for Pharo 2.0?

Thanks
T.
I think the Seaside configs in this issue should work in Pharo 2, for both Seaside 3.0.7 and 3.1 (which is not released) but I'm not positive and plan to spend some time raising my confidence  this weekend.

Re: Pharo 2.0 BETA, Configs and Seaside

Igor Stasenko
On 6 December 2012 22:34, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do people only use the ConfigurationBrowser for initial installing of the
> packages, or does it get used for when the package is updated?  If the
> former, this makes a lot of sense; if the later, you might want to rethink
> removing it.

Since integration, the updates will be automatically handled by pharo team.
 so you just need to click 'update' button.
Using non-stable, non-blessed, bleeding-edge version of config is
another story :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 BETA, Configs and Seaside

EstebanLM
Hi,

NB is in image, yes... but not all.
That means people can still want to load special chunks of it, that will not be around in regular images (for instance Examples, ObjC extension, etc.)
IMO, configuration still has sense and I wouldn't remove it from Configurations Browser.

Esteban