Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Andy Burnett
I am running the Pharo 2.0 beta, and I am getting a lot of System Error Handling Failed events. Is this simply a product of the beta status, or have I somehow enabled some kind of debug switch?

For example, in a workspace I execute a doit on:

fd := FileDialogWindow new.
fn := fd openInWorld.

When I click OK in the dialog box, I get the System Error screen.  On other occasions I get the screen, press space to continue, then I get the debug window, and when attempting to debug it bounces me back to the System Error screen.

Normal behaviour for the beta, or operator error on my part?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Camillo Bruni-3
that is/was a bug:

https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6608

looks like it is still there in a newer image!

On 2013-01-23, at 02:05, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am running the Pharo 2.0 beta, and I am getting a lot of System Error
> Handling Failed events. Is this simply a product of the beta status, or
> have I somehow enabled some kind of debug switch?
>
> For example, in a workspace I execute a doit on:
>
> fd := FileDialogWindow new.
> fn := fd openInWorld.
>
> When I click OK in the dialog box, I get the System Error screen.  On other
> occasions I get the screen, press space to continue, then I get the debug
> window, and when attempting to debug it bounces me back to the System Error
> screen.
>
> Normal behaviour for the beta, or operator error on my part?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I really think that for the process of polishing 2.0 from beta to release we need a new label for issues.

Bugs like the one below are really important, they might be silly or easy to fix, but they leave a bad impression. We want as many people as possible to help, but UX failures like this will scare away many users, most won't be as helpful as Andy to even report the issue. We as developers know that 2.0 is OK because we use it every day, but occasional users who just try 2.0 for the first time can't know that.

So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

On 2013-01-23, at 10:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really think that for the process of polishing 2.0 from beta to release we need a new label for issues.
>
> Bugs like the one below are really important, they might be silly or easy to fix, but they leave a bad impression. We want as many people as possible to help, but UX failures like this will scare away many users, most won't be as helpful as Andy to even report the issue. We as developers know that 2.0 is OK because we use it every day, but occasional users who just try 2.0 for the first time can't know that.

Indeed!

> So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?

=> Pharo20QC ;)

> Sven
>
> On 23 Jan 2013, at 02:43, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> that is/was a bug:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6608
>>
>> looks like it is still there in a newer image!
>>
>> On 2013-01-23, at 02:05, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running the Pharo 2.0 beta, and I am getting a lot of System Error
>>> Handling Failed events. Is this simply a product of the beta status, or
>>> have I somehow enabled some kind of debug switch?
>>>
>>> For example, in a workspace I execute a doit on:
>>>
>>> fd := FileDialogWindow new.
>>> fn := fd openInWorld.
>>>
>>> When I click OK in the dialog box, I get the System Error screen.  On other
>>> occasions I get the screen, press space to continue, then I get the debug
>>> window, and when attempting to debug it bounces me back to the System Error
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> Normal behaviour for the beta, or operator error on my part?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: [Pharo-project] Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really think that for the process of polishing 2.0 from beta to release we need a new label for issues.
>
> Bugs like the one below are really important, they might be silly or easy to fix, but they leave a bad impression. We want as many people as possible to help, but UX failures like this will scare away many users, most won't be as helpful as Andy to even report the issue. We as developers know that 2.0 is OK because we use it every day, but occasional users who just try 2.0 for the first time can't know that.
>
> So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?

:-) yes.

        Marcus

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

camillo may be this was because we had this bug in the method cache. So the extensions may be lost.

Stef

On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> that is/was a bug:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6608
>
> looks like it is still there in a newer image!
>
> On 2013-01-23, at 02:05, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am running the Pharo 2.0 beta, and I am getting a lot of System Error
>> Handling Failed events. Is this simply a product of the beta status, or
>> have I somehow enabled some kind of debug switch?
>>
>> For example, in a workspace I execute a doit on:
>>
>> fd := FileDialogWindow new.
>> fn := fd openInWorld.
>>
>> When I click OK in the dialog box, I get the System Error screen.  On other
>> occasions I get the screen, press space to continue, then I get the debug
>> window, and when attempting to debug it bounces me back to the System Error
>> screen.
>>
>> Normal behaviour for the beta, or operator error on my part?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Camillo Bruni-3 wrote
Indeed!

> So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?

=> Pharo20QC ;)
Since HorribleXxx is unqualified as to the release, why not simply QualityControl?

I've added it as a status to google code: "QualityControl = Leave a bad impression for users, even if easy or silly to fix"
Cheers,
Sean

On 23 Jan 2013, at 14:58, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Camillo Bruni-3 wrote
>> Indeed!
>>
>>> So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe
>>> HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?
>>
>> => Pharo20QC ;)
>
> Since HorribleXxx is unqualified as to the release, why not simply
> QualityControl?
>
> I've added it as a status to google code: "QualityControl = Leave a bad
> impression for users, even if easy or silly to fix"

Yeah, but the label should also convey some sense of urgency.

I also think that UX is an element: it relates to what users (and we too BTW) encounter in the IDE, blocking them (us) from doing normal work.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
Yeah, but the label should also convey some sense of urgency.

I also think that UX is an element: it relates to what users (and we too BTW) encounter in the IDE, blocking them (us) from doing normal work.
PoorUserExperience? or suggestions...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Ben Coman

FirstImpressionsCount :)

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ben Coman wrote
FirstImpressionsCount :)
I actually like that a lot. If there are no objections, I'll change it to that. Also, this and HorribleXyz should be issue types, not statuses; I'll fix that too...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

mmimica
On 23 January 2013 10:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

So not HorribleErrorBlockingEverything but maybe HorribleUXQualityBugScaringAwayNormalPeople as label ?

Seriously, you think chaning the label will help?

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
mmimica wrote
Seriously, you think chaning the label will help?
Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_determinism

I believe that everything counts. If nothing else, a sense of order and beauty will keep me inspired to keep playing and contributing.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
Ben Coman wrote
FirstImpressionsCount :)
I actually like that a lot. If there are no objections, I'll change it to that. Also, this and HorribleXyz should be issue types, not statuses; I'll fix that too...
In the issue tracker:
"Status:QualityControl" is now "Type:FirstImpressionsCount"
and
"Status:HorribleErrorBlockingEverything" is now a type (instead of a status) with the same name as before

I did this because these things are not really statuses and then, for example if the status was HorribleErrorBlockingEverything, we either won't know when it's FixReviewNeeded, or it will be changed to that and maybe we forget how horrible it is :)

All existing issues have been migrated to the new tags

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 2.0 - System Error Handling Failed

Camillo Bruni-3
nice! :)