Pharo 3 beta impressions : SystemBrowser on first visit to new install

Pharo 3 beta impressions : SystemBrowser on first visit to new install

LogiqueWerks
1) on first open after install on Windows, the SystemBrowser shows a list of class names in LastModified classes - but I have modified no classes in this image

2) on Quit no Save, even after selecting not to Save a second time, the pointer flips to show WRITING TO DISK which was surprising and also seemed not quite as one might expect

3) the title bar changes to SystemBrowser seemed more like bread-crumbs ... and displayed previous package name even after a single select in the list even if that previous package had not been entered.  Perhaps this is optional behavior for the browser title bar ?  Loosing one's place in a browser has long been a fact of life, but is this intended to track where I was last ? But I was not THERE ( I had not viewed a single item in that package )

NOTE : to see the browser title changes

 1) select classes last changed ( top item left list )
 2) select a class ( I selected Komiter )
 3) single click elsewhere in the left list ( I selected as AST package )
 4) single click on your "where I intend to view a class package" - but the browser title bar still shows you as in that AST package that you never entered ...

Or I have been on Android and in workbench-ed eclipse-fer-Java too much of late ;-)

robert
Canada

Re: Pharo 3 beta impressions : SystemBrowser on first visit to new install

Nicolai Hess

2014/1/10 Robert Shiplett <[hidden email]>
1) on first open after install on Windows, the SystemBrowser shows a list of class names in LastModified classes - but I have modified no classes in this image

This list is from Recent Messages List (World Menu / Tools / Recent Messages). Not only your changes.

2) on Quit no Save, even after selecting not to Save a second time, the pointer flips to show WRITING TO DISK which was surprising and also seemed not quite as one might expect

This disturbed me too, but I think this was always there, all Pharo versions and even on Squeak.

3) the title bar changes to SystemBrowser seemed more like bread-crumbs ... and displayed previous package name even after a single select in the list even if that previous package had not been entered.  Perhaps this is optional behavior for the browser title bar ?  Loosing one's place in a browser has long been a fact of life, but is this intended to track where I was last ? But I was not THERE ( I had not viewed a single item in that package )

Yes it is a bug in the SystemBrowser (PackageTreeNautilus a subclass of Nautilus). It works in Nautilus ( Try with "Nauilus open" in a workspace).
There are still many little bugs in the SystemBrowser.

Thank you for testing and reporting back.

Nicolai

Re: Pharo 3 beta impressions : SystemBrowser on first visit to new install

Marcus Denker-4

On 10 Jan 2014, at 14:33, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

2014/1/10 Robert Shiplett <[hidden email]>
1) on first open after install on Windows, the SystemBrowser shows a list of class names in LastModified classes - but I have modified no classes in this image

This list is from Recent Messages List (World Menu / Tools / Recent Messages). Not only your changes.

This is because I disabled image cleanUp last week for checking if that was the source for the crash… It is on my TODO to add this again.

Marcus

Re: Pharo 3 beta impressions : SystemBrowser on first visit to new install

Marcus Denker-4

2) on Quit no Save, even after selecting not to Save a second time, the pointer flips to show WRITING TO DISK which was surprising and also seemed not quite as one might expect

This disturbed me too, but I think this was always there, all Pharo versions and even on Squeak.

I fixed it…

The reason was that it has

Cursor write showWhile: [
Smalltalk
snapshot: save
andQuit: true.
]

so it uses the write hand even when save is false.

Marcus

On 10 Jan 2014, at 14:46, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 Jan 2014, at 14:33, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

2014/1/10 Robert Shiplett <[hidden email]>
1) on first open after install on Windows, the SystemBrowser shows a list of class names in LastModified classes - but I have modified no classes in this image

This list is from Recent Messages List (World Menu / Tools / Recent Messages). Not only your changes.

This is because I disabled image cleanUp last week for checking if that was the source for the crash… It is on my TODO to add this again.

I committed a new ScriptLoader that does it… it will be picked up next some an update is prepared.

Marcus