Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I know our policy is to only backport severe bug fixes, but I have one method I'd like added to 5.0 which would make my life a lot easier. Since NBMacShell has been removed, there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to send simple shell commands, which has broken all my project/image load scripts. I propose the following addition which will restore that basic functionality:

    LibC class>>system: command
        ^ self ffiCall: #(#int #system #(#char #* #command)) module: self

It doesn't change any existing behavior, so seems relatively risk-free. What do you think?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Max Leske
Why don’t you use OSSubprocess?

Cheers,
Max

> On 18 Jun 2016, at 16:24, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I know our policy is to only backport severe bug fixes, but I have one method
> I'd like added to 5.0 which would make my life a lot easier. Since
> NBMacShell has been removed, there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to send
> simple shell commands, which has broken all my project/image load scripts. I
> propose the following addition which will restore that basic functionality:
>
>    LibC class>>system: command
> ^ self ffiCall: #(#int #system #(#char #* #command)) module: self
>
> It doesn't change any existing behavior, so seems relatively risk-free. What
> do you think?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Max Leske wrote
Why don’t you use OSSubprocess?
My scripts require this functionality to be pre-loaded in a vanilla image. Also, on a minor note, some projects use OSProcess and I thought OSSP and OSP are incompatible.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Max Leske

> On 19 Jun 2016, at 01:44, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Max Leske wrote
>> Why don’t you use OSSubprocess?
>
> My scripts require this functionality to be pre-loaded in a vanilla image.

Ok, just wanted to check.

> Also, on a minor note, some projects use OSProcess and I thought OSSP and
> OSP are incompatible.

Not as far as I know. OSSubProcess uses the OSProcess VM plugin but is otherwise independent.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

stepharo
open a bug entry.

Stef

Le 19/6/16 à 01:44, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> Max Leske wrote
>> Why don’t you use OSSubprocess?
> My scripts require this functionality to be pre-loaded in a vanilla image.
> Also, on a minor note, some projects use OSProcess and I thought OSSP and
> OSP are incompatible.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Peter Uhnak
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 10:05:45AM +0200, Max Leske wrote:

> > On 19 Jun 2016, at 01:44, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Max Leske wrote
> >> Why don’t you use OSSubprocess?
> >
> > My scripts require this functionality to be pre-loaded in a vanilla image.
>
> Ok, just wanted to check.
>
> > Also, on a minor note, some projects use OSProcess and I thought OSSP and
> > OSP are incompatible.
>
> Not as far as I know. OSSubProcess uses the OSProcess VM plugin but is otherwise independent.

They should be incompatible at the moment. There was a discussion about this some time ago in regards to Moose where you couldn't load & run OSSubprocess because OSProcess was already installed.
It was solved by replacing OSProcess with this system call Sean is proposing to have in Pharo.

Peter

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
stepharo wrote
open a bug entry.
Done:
18757 Simple Shell Command Eval for 5.0
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18757/Simple-Shell-Command-Eval-for-5-0

But I'm not sure how to commit it. It changes UFFI which has a configuration. What do I commit (package, slice, config(s))? And to where (UFFI repo, inbox)?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
But I'm not sure how to commit it. It changes UFFI which has a configuration. What do I commit (package, slice, config(s))? And to where (UFFI repo, inbox)?
Bump :) How is it possible that there's not a simple answer to how to commit a small fix to core?!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

EstebanLM
Hi Sean,

just submit an SLICE, for now… I will sync the repository.

Esteban

> On 16 Jul 2016, at 04:42, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>> But I'm not sure how to commit it. It changes UFFI which has a
>> configuration. What do I commit (package, slice, config(s))? And to where
>> (UFFI repo, inbox)?
>
> Bump :) How is it possible that there's not a simple answer to how to commit
> a small fix to core?!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
just submit an SLICE, for now… I will sync the repository.
Great. Done. Slice in inbox: SLICE-Issue-18757-Simple-Shell-Command-Eval-for-50-SeanDeNigris.1
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
Great. Done. Slice in inbox: SLICE-Issue-18757-Simple-Shell-Command-Eval-for-50-SeanDeNigris.1
Reviewed by the monkey. Please integrate at your earliest convenience :)
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18757/Simple-Shell-Command-Eval-for-5-0
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
Reviewed by the monkey. Please integrate at your earliest convenience :)
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18757/Simple-Shell-Command-Eval-for-5-0
Bump :)
[waiting patiently while all my build scripts are broken in Pharo 5.0]
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
Bump :)
[waiting patiently while all my build scripts are broken in Pharo 5.0]
So close! Marked "Fix to include". Who can integrate it?!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 5.0 Tiny Feature Request

EstebanLM