Pharo 5 on FreeBSD - no luck

Petr Fischer
Hello, trying to install Pharo on my FreeBSD (11-CURRENT 64bit) with no luck :(

Facts:

1) I can run Linux (even 64bit Linux ELF) binaries on FreeBSD

2) but I can't use precompiled Linux 32binaries from Pharo.org, because there is no 32libs (32bit linux libs) support on 64bit FreeBSD

3) tried build from https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm - no luck, because newImage script downloads 5.0 image and Linux VM (!) for intermediate VMMaker build (I can't build Pharo without working Pharo)

4) tried latest prebuild 64 bit Cog Spur Linux VM from http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/downloads/ (cogspur64linuxht) - no luck - I don't know what the "squeak" start SH script is doing and it's intended for Linux

Is actual build documentation for latest 64 bit Cog-Spur-something-something-VM somewhere?
Will be FFI (New-Native-something-something-FFI) working fine under FreeBSD (another unix), or will be some low-level core C porting needed?

I can help with adapting build scrits also for FreeBSD - this OS is small, fast, robust and secure (there is ZFS, Jails for isolation, everything is simple etc etc) - perfect for running Pharo images on server side - I really like this combo (BSD+Smalltalk).

Thanks, Petr Fischer

Re: Pharo 5 on FreeBSD - no luck

EstebanLM
Hi,

On 15 Jun 2016, at 00:40, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, trying to install Pharo on my FreeBSD (11-CURRENT 64bit) with no luck :(

Facts:

1) I can run Linux (even 64bit Linux ELF) binaries on FreeBSD

interesting, I didn’t know.

2) but I can't use precompiled Linux 32binaries from Pharo.org, because there is no 32libs (32bit linux libs) support on 64bit FreeBSD

mmm… but you still need 32bits binaries to run Pharo.

one possibility is to used the pre-generated sources: http://files.pharo.org/vm/src/spur/

4) tried latest prebuild 64 bit Cog Spur Linux VM from http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/downloads/ (cogspur64linuxht) - no luck - I don't know what the "squeak" start SH script is doing and it's intended for Linux

this will not work because:

1) you are downloading a 64bits vm, then you need a 64bits image: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-64.zip
2) since is 64bits who is work in progress it will still have some important problems (missing plugins, missing UFFI correct implementation, etc.)
3) I also don’t know what the “ht” part means…

Is actual build documentation for latest 64 bit Cog-Spur-something-something-VM somewhere?
Will be FFI (New-Native-something-something-FFI) working fine under FreeBSD (another unix), or will be some low-level core C porting needed?

once UFFI it works in 64bits, there is no reason why it will not work on FreeBSD

I can help with adapting build scrits also for FreeBSD - this OS is small, fast, robust and secure (there is ZFS, Jails for isolation, everything is simple etc etc) - perfect for running Pharo images on server side - I really like this combo (BSD+Smalltalk).

is not a problem (for now) of scripts… the problem is that you are trying to build a 64bits environment and we are not yet there. Pharo is still 32bits…

now, I’m working on this and it should be ready in a couple of months, but for now you are more or less restricted to two options:

1) install 32bits dependences
2) use the *very experimental* 64bits image along with Eliot 64bits spur, who should be this one: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/latest/cogspur64linux-16.21.3732.tgz

Thanks, Petr Fischer

cheers!
Esteban

Re: Pharo 5 on FreeBSD - no luck

Ben Coman
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 15 Jun 2016, at 00:40, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello, trying to install Pharo on my FreeBSD (11-CURRENT 64bit) with no luck
> :(
>
> Facts:
>
> 1) I can run Linux (even 64bit Linux ELF) binaries on FreeBSD
>
> interesting, I didn’t know.
>
> 2) but I can't use precompiled Linux 32binaries from Pharo.org, because
> there is no 32libs (32bit linux libs) support on 64bit FreeBSD

Maybe for a few months until the Image is ready for 64-bit you could
run Pharo on 32bit FreeBSD with 32bit linux libs ??

cheers -ben