Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

Ricardo Pacheco
I have been trying to run the AthensFlakeDemo in Pharo 6, updated as of today, in Windows 10 using this command:

AthensFlakeDemo new openInWorld.

Every time I run it, Pharo crashes.

It looks to me like a bug, but before reporting a bug I want to ask you if I need to install/do something else prior to trying to run this demo.

Thanks

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

EstebanLM
it works for me (on Win7) so the rigor questions:

1) VM version?
2) Image version?

If is not the same, can you try with this one: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-win-latest.zip and latest 6.0 image and tell me what happens?

thanks!
Esteban

> On 15 Apr 2017, at 17:50, Ricardo Pacheco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been trying to run the AthensFlakeDemo in Pharo 6, updated as of
> today, in Windows 10 using this command:
>
> AthensFlakeDemo new openInWorld.
>
> Every time I run it, Pharo crashes.
>

> It looks to me like a bug, but before reporting a bug I want to ask you if I
> need to install/do something else prior to trying to run this demo.
>
> Thanks

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

Ricardo Pacheco
Esteban,

My computer is using Windows 10.

I'm using the Pharo Launcher 0.2.11-2016.09.22 (as indicated in the README.txt or 3.0.20131220 as indicated in the Control panel's Programs and characteristics).
(http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-0.2.11.exe)

The image I was using was the latest Pharo 6.0 (Beta) downloaded today.
http://files.pharo.org/image/60/latest.zip

With that combination I got the crash while trying to run: AthensFlakeDemo new openInWorld.

As an additional test, I downloaded the VM version that you included (http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-win-latest.zip) with the latest image as of today (60465), but got the following errors:
First it complained abut the missing PharoV50.cources, but loaded Pharo.
Then I tried to run the demo, but got the following error: Could not find accessor for variable named "aFormat"

FFICallout>>loaderForArgNamed:
FFICallout>>loaderForArgNamed:indirectIndex:
FFICallout>>argName:indirectIndex:type:ptrArity:
FFIFunctionParser>>parseArgument
FFIFunctionParser>>parseArguments
FFIFunctionParser>>parseNamedFunction:
FFICalloutMethodBuilder>>parseSignature:
FFICalloutMethodBuilder>>generate
FFICalloutMethodBuilder>>build:
FFICalloutAPI>>function:module:
AthensCairoSurface class(Object)>>nbCall:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:format:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:
AthensFlakeDemo>>initialize
AthensFlakeDemo class(Behavior)>>new
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
OpalCompiler>>evaluate
RubSmalltalkEditor>>evaluate:andDo:
RubSmalltalkEditor>>highlightEvaluateAndDo:
[ textMorph textArea editor highlightEvaluateAndDo: arg1 action.
textMorph shoutStyler style: textMorph text ] in [ textMorph textArea
        handleEdit: [ textMorph textArea editor highlightEvaluateAndDo: arg1 action.
                textMorph shoutStyler style: textMorph text ] ] in GLMMorphicPharoScriptRenderer(GLMMorphicPharoCodeRenderer)>>actOnHighlightAndEvaluate:
RubEditingArea(RubAbstractTextArea)>>handleEdit:
[ textMorph textArea
        handleEdit: [ textMorph textArea editor highlightEvaluateAndDo: arg1 action.
                textMorph shoutStyler style: textMorph text ] ] in GLMMorphicPharoScriptRenderer(GLMMorphicPharoCodeRenderer)>>actOnHighlightAndEvaluate:
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
WorldMorph class>>doOneCycle
[ [ WorldMorph doOneCycle.
Processor yield.
false ] whileFalse: [  ] ] in MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess
[ self value.
Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

Please let me know if you need me to do some other test or if you want I can give you access t my computer using TeamViewer.

Regards.

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

EstebanLM
you need to also download the sources:

http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/sources.zip

and put them aside of the image (or the vm), otherwise it will not work.

cheers,
Esteban

ps: PharoLauncher is shipping with an old VM and most probably many things on Pharo 6.0 will not work. Hopefully there will be an update of the launcher after release...

> [...]
> action.
> textMorph shoutStyler style: textMorph text ] ] in
> GLMMorphicPharoScriptRenderer(GLMMorphicPharoCodeRenderer)>>actOnHighlightAndEvaluate:
> WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
> WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
> WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
> WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
> WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
> WorldMorph class>>doOneCycle
> [ [ WorldMorph doOneCycle.
> Processor yield.
> false ] whileFalse: [  ] ] in MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess
> [ self value.
> Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
>
> Please let me know if you need me to do some other test or if you want I can
> give you access t my computer using TeamViewer.
>
> Regards.

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

Thanks a lot Esteban. This time everything worked OK and the demo run without a problem.

So the crash I was facing must be related to the VM included in the PharoLauncher.

Should I report it or do something about that?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

EstebanLM

> On 15 Apr 2017, at 23:50, Ricardo Pacheco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot Esteban. This time everything worked OK and the demo run without
> a problem.
>
> So the crash I was facing must be related to the VM included in the
> PharoLauncher.
>
> Should I report it or do something about that?

no, is a known issue, then.
maybe some launcher user can tell you how to update the vm?

Esteban

> Thanks,
>
> Ricardo

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

CyrilFerlicot
On 16/04/2017 00:11, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> no, is a known issue, then.
> maybe some launcher user can tell you how to update the vm?
>
> Esteban

Hi, Launcher user here!

Download the latest vm, put it were you can execute it (mine is in
C:\Program Files(x86)\Pharo\vmSpur for example, because I wanted it to
be in the same place than the launcher).

Then in PharoLauncher open the settings (button at the bottom right),
and you'll have a setting to set the vm path for spur images (Spur vm
full path). Select the .exe of the vm.

Don't forget to save your image (ctrl/alt + shift + s).

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Pharo 6.0 On windows crash while trying to run AthensFlakeDemo

Ricardo Pacheco
Thanks a lot Cyril. Worked very well!!

Regards,

Ricardo