Pharo 6.0 crashes a lot (so far) on my windows 10

Pharo 6.0 crashes a lot (so far) on my windows 10

Fuhrmanator
Hi all,

I started a new visualisation project using the latest moose image and Pharo 6.0. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a lot of crashes in RTMondrian after importing CSV files with neocsv.

They are Windows 10 crashes, where Windows tells you that pharo has crashed, sometimes when I run a program, sometimes when I return to the Pharo vm after browsing a web page. I have started over my project image a few times already, since I suspect the corruption of memory remains in the VM.

I'm wondering how to find out more information about why the crash is occurring, so I can provide info to the Pharo or Moose teams. The debug log that I found in the folder where I have the images just refers to errors in my Pharo code. How can I find more information about the crashes?

What environment is most stable for Pharo 6? OSX, Linux? I wondered since there are no 64-bit VMs for Windows.

I tried to go back to Pharo 5, but neocsv complains it was not tested for it, so I didn't pursue that option.

I like the new dark look!

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

Re: Pharo 6.0 crashes a lot (so far) on my windows 10

abergel
Hi Cris,

We indeed have a problem causing frequent crashes. However, it was addressed a couple of months ago.

Are you sure to use the latest VM ?
This one is the latest: https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_win32x86_pharo.cog.spur_201706061627.zip

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:54 AM, Cris Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I started a new visualisation project using the latest moose image and Pharo 6.0. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a lot of crashes in RTMondrian after importing CSV files with neocsv.
>
> They are Windows 10 crashes, where Windows tells you that pharo has crashed, sometimes when I run a program, sometimes when I return to the Pharo vm after browsing a web page. I have started over my project image a few times already, since I suspect the corruption of memory remains in the VM.
>
> I'm wondering how to find out more information about why the crash is occurring, so I can provide info to the Pharo or Moose teams. The debug log that I found in the folder where I have the images just refers to errors in my Pharo code. How can I find more information about the crashes?
>
> What environment is most stable for Pharo 6? OSX, Linux? I wondered since there are no 64-bit VMs for Windows.
>
> I tried to go back to Pharo 5, but neocsv complains it was not tested for it, so I didn't pursue that option.
>
> I like the new dark look!
>
> Cheers,
>
> C. Fuhrman

Re: Pharo 6.0 crashes a lot (so far) on my windows 10

Fuhrmanator
Hi Alexandre,

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are you sure to use the latest VM ?
This one is the latest: https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_win32x86_pharo.cog.spur_201706061627.zip

Indeed, I was not using it. But all weekend I have now been. Not a single crash and project moving forward! Thanks!

Perhaps it's a good idea to fix the VM that gets downloaded from http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install (it's where I started)? Otherwise, lots of potential newcomers are going to be somewhat disappointed by the crashing, and may not know to look here for the answer.

C. Fuhrman

Re: Pharo 6.0 crashes a lot (so far) on my windows 10

abergel
Indeed, I was not using it. But all weekend I have now been. Not a single crash and project moving forward! Thanks!

Excellent news!!!

Perhaps it's a good idea to fix the VM that gets downloaded from http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install (it's where I started)? Otherwise, lots of potential newcomers are going to be somewhat disappointed by the crashing, and may not know to look here for the answer.

Indeed… But I am not in charge of the moose website…
Can this be updated?

Alexandre