Pharo 6.1 debugger - suggestions break once, does funny things?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo 6.1 debugger - suggestions break once, does funny things?

Tim Mackinnon
While I’m on a debugger trip… anyone else also notice that the Suggestions, Break once debug option acts weirdly? I seem to get a debugger but it halts several lines after where I have said, and if I start stepping the debugger seems to jump to funny places and show values that don’t line up with what I know is happening? If I use Suggestions, Break it seems to work correctly (apart from the Step Through I mentioned in another thread).

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo 6.1 debugger - suggestions break once, does funny things?

Nicolai Hess-3-2

2017-09-11 1:26 GMT+02:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
While I’m on a debugger trip… anyone else also notice that the Suggestions, Break once debug option acts weirdly? I seem to get a debugger but it halts several lines after where I have said, and if I start stepping the debugger seems to jump to funny places and show values that don’t line up with what I know is happening? If I use Suggestions, Break it seems to work correctly (apart from the Step Through I mentioned in another thread).

Tim

Thats because the "Break once" creates a MetaLink that when executing this Metalink it removes itself from the methode prior to the break-command. If now  the debugger opens the method, it executes a context to a method that already had changed. (the actual method bytecode only exists in the current context).

You can see the "real" bytecode of the contexts method if you select GTs bytecode view.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
That makes sense - but in a practical usability sense its broken - it doesn’t give me a useful breakpoint to step through code where I expect. Should I raise a Fogbugz for this?

Or should we just remove this feature if we can’t do it right?

Tim

On 12 Sep 2017, at 11:09, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

2017-09-11 1:26 GMT+02:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

Tim

Thats because the "Break once" creates a MetaLink that when executing this Metalink it removes itself from the methode prior to the break-command. If now  the debugger opens the method, it executes a context to a method that already had changed. (the actual method bytecode only exists in the current context).

You can see the "real" bytecode of the contexts method if you select GTs bytecode view.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

> On 12 Sep 2017, at 12:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That makes sense - but in a practical usability sense its broken - it doesn’t give me a useful breakpoint to step through code where I expect. Should I raise a Fogbugz for this?
>
Yes, please add an issue. I wanted to see if I can improve the debugger  for this…

Marcus