Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

webwarrior
LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

)

Windows 10.

Win32 built on May 31 2017 03:09:04 GMT Compiler: 5.4.0
VMMaker versionString VM: 201705310241

Tried latest stable VM - same error.

Pharo 7 works normally.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Ben Coman
Seems similar...
http://forum.world.st/Win10-Launcher-Pharo7-1122-ZdcPluginMissing-SSL-TLS-plugin-initailization-failed-VM-plugin-missing-O-tp5081539p5081573.html

cheers -ben

On 13 July 2018 at 03:09, webwarrior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.
>
> )
>
> Windows 10.
>
> Win32 built on May 31 2017 03:09:04 GMT Compiler: 5.4.0
> VMMaker versionString VM: 201705310241
>
> Tried latest stable VM - same error.
>
> Pharo 7 works normally.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Peter Kenny
Hello

This seems exactly like a problem I reported almost exactly a year ago - 15 July 2017. Peter Uhnak reported then that he saw it regularly. The only sure remedy we found is to reboot the machine - occasionally reboot twice. I am using Pharo 6.1 on Windows 10. Since that report, I have seen it very rarely. Most recently I found that the Pharo window appearance was distorted - wrong font size etc - but I did not see the debug console error message.

Advice to Webwarrior - reboot machine and see if it goes away.

HTH

Peter Kenny

On 13 July 2018 at 03:09, webwarrior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> LoadLibrary(FT2Plugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.
>
> )
>
> Windows 10.
>
> Win32 built on May 31 2017 03:09:04 GMT Compiler: 5.4.0 VMMaker
> versionString VM: 201705310241
>
> Tried latest stable VM - same error.
>
> Pharo 7 works normally.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

hernanmd
Hi,

I've seen the FT distorted fonts when launched several images at the
same time. It could be a way to reproduce it.
Cheers,

Hernán

> Hello
>
> This seems exactly like a problem I reported almost exactly a year ago - 15 July 2017. Peter Uhnak reported then that he saw it regularly. The only sure remedy we found is to reboot the machine - occasionally reboot twice. I am using Pharo 6.1 on Windows 10. Since that report, I have seen it very rarely. Most recently I found that the Pharo window appearance was distorted - wrong font size etc - but I did not see the debug console error message.
>
> Advice to Webwarrior - reboot machine and see if it goes away.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter Kenny

Peter Kenny wrote

> Hello
>
> This seems exactly like a problem I reported almost exactly a year ago -
> 15 July 2017. Peter Uhnak reported then that he saw it regularly. The only
> sure remedy we found is to reboot the machine - occasionally reboot twice.
> I am using Pharo 6.1 on Windows 10. Since that report, I have seen it very
> rarely. Most recently I found that the Pharo window appearance was
> distorted - wrong font size etc - but I did not see the debug console
> error message.
>
> Advice to Webwarrior - reboot machine and see if it goes away.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter Kenny

Rebooted, and the problem did go away.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Peter Uhnak
This is not FT plugin problem. This is Windows failing to load a proper dll for Pharo. Happens regularly at least with FT and Cairo.

Peter

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM, webwarrior <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter Kenny wrote
> Hello
>
> This seems exactly like a problem I reported almost exactly a year ago -
> 15 July 2017. Peter Uhnak reported then that he saw it regularly. The only
> sure remedy we found is to reboot the machine - occasionally reboot twice.
> I am using Pharo 6.1 on Windows 10. Since that report, I have seen it very
> rarely. Most recently I found that the Pharo window appearance was
> distorted - wrong font size etc - but I did not see the debug console
> error message.
>
> Advice to Webwarrior - reboot machine and see if it goes away.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter Kenny

Rebooted, and the problem did go away.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Peter Kenny

More specifically, it was suggested (by Herby, I think) that it is a timing problem with Windows loading several .dll files at the same time. If the loads complete in the right order, all is well; but in some cases, loading one .dll takes a bit longer, and it is not available when called by another. If correct, this explains why it happens intermittently. It also explains why it is so difficult to debug.

Peter Kenny

This is not FT plugin problem. This is Windows failing to load a proper dll for Pharo. Happens regularly at least with FT and Cairo.

Peter

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM, webwarrior <[hidden email]> wrote:

Peter Kenny wrote

> Hello
>
> This seems exactly like a problem I reported almost exactly a year ago -
> 15 July 2017. Peter Uhnak reported then that he saw it regularly. The only
> sure remedy we found is to reboot the machine - occasionally reboot twice.
> I am using Pharo 6.1 on Windows 10. Since that report, I have seen it very
> rarely. Most recently I found that the Pharo window appearance was
> distorted - wrong font size etc - but I did not see the debug console
> error message.
>
> Advice to Webwarrior - reboot machine and see if it goes away.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter Kenny

Rebooted, and the problem did go away.

Re: Pharo 6 Freetype plugin stopped working after Windows update

Jan Blizničenko
Agreed, it's not just FT. And it happens to me very often. Rebooting PC works
every time (well, since it seems random-ish, MOST of the times), but to
close all my work just to reboot PC for Pharo is quite annoying.

Jan

Peter Uhnák wrote