classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo 6 / VM crashes

Volkert

Dear all,

from time to time i trying the lastest Pharo 6 (curl get.pharo.org/60+vm | bash) and i am always
a bit scarred about its stability. I mainly use Roassal and Athens and after a few minutes the VM crashes. The
the same happens with Pharo 5, but less often ... i am using Linux Ubuntu 16.04 ...

What is the best way to help you to improve the situation?

Volkert

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo 6 / VM crashes

Oleksandr Zaitsev
Hello,

The same happened to me about a week ago. Apparently, the latest 'stable' (Feb 22) version of VR has some compactor bug which makes it crash.

Try this:
curl get.pharo.org/60+vmLatest | bash
It should download the latest (Apr 18) VM, which works just fine.

Oleks
Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
Hi,

About the best way to help...

A reproducible case that we (VM developers) can reproduce easily is the best way to help. If we do not have a way to reproduce your bug, we cannot do anything about it. The best is an image which crashes immediately after start-up or a do-it that reliably crash the system, combined with all the version numbers (OS version, vm version, pharo version) or a crash dump file which includes all those version numbers.

Trying another version of Pharo (like 5 instead of 6 like you did) and the latest VM over the stable is another thing you can do. If you can prove that the bug comes from recent images or recent VMs it helps us as we know where to look (in the VM or in the image).

As Oleks said the bug you mentioned should be fixed in the latest VM. The latest VM will be promoted to stable in the incoming weeks for the Pharo 6 release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Oleks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

The same happened to me about a week ago. Apparently, the latest 'stable'
(Feb 22) version of VR has some compactor bug which makes it crash.

Try this:

Oleks

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-VM-crashes-tp4944939p4944946.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Volkert
In reply to this post by Oleksandr Zaitsev
Oleks,

much better :-)

Thank you,
Volkert

Am 30.04.2017 um 13:10 schrieb Oleks:

> Hello,
>
> The same happened to me about a week ago. Apparently, the latest 'stable'
> (Feb 22) version of VR has some compactor bug which makes it crash.
>
> Try this:
> curl get.pharo.org/60+vmLatest | bash
> It should download the latest (Apr 18) VM, which works just fine.
>
> Oleks
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-VM-crashes-tp4944939p4944946.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by Oleksandr Zaitsev

On 30 Apr 2017, at 13:10, Oleks <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Try this:

this is correct :)
in particular, in linux we recommend to use curl get.pharo.org/60+vmTLatest (the threaded hearbeat)

Esteban

Oleks

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-VM-crashes-tp4944939p4944946.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Volkert
In reply to this post by Clément Béra

ok. when the next crash happens i try to create a reproducible case and will open in case the pharo issue tracker.

thanks for all the valuable work on the VM ...

Volkert

Am 30.04.2017 um 14:00 schrieb Clément Bera:
Hi,

A reproducible case that we (VM developers) can reproduce easily is the best way to help. If we do not have a way to reproduce your bug, we cannot do anything about it. The best is an image which crashes immediately after start-up or a do-it that reliably crash the system, combined with all the version numbers (OS version, vm version, pharo version) or a crash dump file which includes all those version numbers.

Trying another version of Pharo (like 5 instead of 6 like you did) and the latest VM over the stable is another thing you can do. If you can prove that the bug comes from recent images or recent VMs it helps us as we know where to look (in the VM or in the image).

As Oleks said the bug you mentioned should be fixed in the latest VM. The latest VM will be promoted to stable in the incoming weeks for the Pharo 6 release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Hello,

Try this:

Oleks

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Clément Béra

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The *known* buggy "stable-VM" really needs to be replaced ASAP.  I've counted half a dozen reports of people burnt by it and stability concerns can only discourage more people from testing Pharo 6 beta.  

The answer ever time has been to use vmLatest, so why not someone just log onto the files server and manually rename the current "-latest" to "-stable".  Don't take time to determine which "latest" is most stable.  Any seems a better choice than the VM with *known* compactor bug.  We need a stable-Pre-Release-VM for final beta testing.

cheers -ben

Best,

Hello,

Try this:

Oleks

--