Quantcast

Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

in preparation of upcoming Pharo 6 release we already should do a pass on
all our external loadable projects:

 - load them into Pharo 6 to see if they could be loaded cleanly
   (due to automatic transformation of deprecated messages your packages
    get dirty when converted)
 - check if they are already/still working in Pharo 6 by using them
 - check that the tests are running in Pharo 6
 - check that we have a proper config with catalog methods and
   that the latest config is in the MetaRepoForPharo60 repository
   http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo60

I did a pass over most projects I implemented or contributed to
and we now have much more Pharo 6 based projects in catalog:

 - Units, Artefact
 - EventRecorder, Bugzilla, PunQlite, HubCap, VistaCursors, INIFile
 - Pomodoro, DesktopManager, QuickAccess, WebBrowser, MessageFlowBrowser
 - ScriptManager (now with icons)
 - Tealight, Teapot, Nginx, NPMJS, GitHubAPI, FogBugz
 - OSWindows, OSOSX, OSUnix, OSLinuxCentOS, OSLinuxUbuntu, OSRaspbian
 - ...

You should do the same with your projects!

Also if you have a project on SqueakSource, STHub or GitHub that
is not yet in the catalog it would be good to provide a ConfigurationOf...
with a catalog description. Using Versionner it is easy to create one
or generate the required catalog methods.

This would give more visibility to your projects!

Thanks
T.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

stepharong
+1
Argh I should do mine :)


> Hi,
> in preparation of upcoming Pharo 6 release we already should do a pass on
> all our external loadable projects:
> - load them into Pharo 6 to see if they could be loaded cleanly
>    (due to automatic transformation of deprecated messages your packages
>     get dirty when converted)
>  - check if they are already/still working in Pharo 6 by using them
>  - check that the tests are running in Pharo 6
>  - check that we have a proper config with catalog methods and
>    that the latest config is in the MetaRepoForPharo60 repository
>    http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo60
> I did a pass over most projects I implemented or contributed to
> and we now have much more Pharo 6 based projects in catalog:
> - Units, Artefact
>  - EventRecorder, Bugzilla, PunQlite, HubCap, VistaCursors, INIFile
>  - Pomodoro, DesktopManager, QuickAccess, WebBrowser, MessageFlowBrowser
>  - ScriptManager (now with icons)
>  - Tealight, Teapot, Nginx, NPMJS, GitHubAPI, FogBugz
>  - OSWindows, OSOSX, OSUnix, OSLinuxCentOS, OSLinuxUbuntu, OSRaspbian
>  - ...
> You should do the same with your projects!
> Also if you have a project on SqueakSource, STHub or GitHub that
> is not yet in the catalog it would be good to provide a  
> ConfigurationOf...
> with a catalog description. Using Versionner it is easy to create one
> or generate the required catalog methods.
> This would give more visibility to your projects!
> Thanks
> T.


--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Pierce Ng-3
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:44:04AM +0100, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> in preparation of upcoming Pharo 6 release we already should do a pass on
> all our external loadable projects:
>
> You should do the same with your projects!

Updated ConfigOfGlorp and ConfigOfGlorpSQLite for Pharo 6. Tested on 60365, all
tests pass. Thanks for the push.

Pierce

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

SergeStinckwich
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
I update PolyMath for Pharo 6.0.
All tests are green: https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in preparation of upcoming Pharo 6 release we already should do a pass on
> all our external loadable projects:
>
>  - load them into Pharo 6 to see if they could be loaded cleanly
>    (due to automatic transformation of deprecated messages your packages
>     get dirty when converted)
>  - check if they are already/still working in Pharo 6 by using them
>  - check that the tests are running in Pharo 6
>  - check that we have a proper config with catalog methods and
>    that the latest config is in the MetaRepoForPharo60 repository
>    http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo60
>
> I did a pass over most projects I implemented or contributed to
> and we now have much more Pharo 6 based projects in catalog:
>
>  - Units, Artefact
>  - EventRecorder, Bugzilla, PunQlite, HubCap, VistaCursors, INIFile
>  - Pomodoro, DesktopManager, QuickAccess, WebBrowser, MessageFlowBrowser
>  - ScriptManager (now with icons)
>  - Tealight, Teapot, Nginx, NPMJS, GitHubAPI, FogBugz
>  - OSWindows, OSOSX, OSUnix, OSLinuxCentOS, OSLinuxUbuntu, OSRaspbian
>  - ...
>
> You should do the same with your projects!
>
> Also if you have a project on SqueakSource, STHub or GitHub that
> is not yet in the catalog it would be good to provide a ConfigurationOf...
> with a catalog description. Using Versionner it is easy to create one
> or generate the required catalog methods.
>
> This would give more visibility to your projects!
>
> Thanks
> T.
>



--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
Good idea, Torsten!

I updated the following (with new #stable releases and catalog configs for Pharo 3,4,5 & 6):

- NeoCSV
- NeoJSON
- Ston
- ZTimestamp
- Stamp
- ZincHTTPComponents
- Zodiac
- WebSockets
- Zinc SSO

These were already running 6.0 builds on the CI servers.

Sven

> On 31 Jan 2017, at 10:44, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> in preparation of upcoming Pharo 6 release we already should do a pass on
> all our external loadable projects:
>
> - load them into Pharo 6 to see if they could be loaded cleanly
>   (due to automatic transformation of deprecated messages your packages
>    get dirty when converted)
> - check if they are already/still working in Pharo 6 by using them
> - check that the tests are running in Pharo 6
> - check that we have a proper config with catalog methods and
>   that the latest config is in the MetaRepoForPharo60 repository
>   http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo60
>
> I did a pass over most projects I implemented or contributed to
> and we now have much more Pharo 6 based projects in catalog:
>
> - Units, Artefact
> - EventRecorder, Bugzilla, PunQlite, HubCap, VistaCursors, INIFile
> - Pomodoro, DesktopManager, QuickAccess, WebBrowser, MessageFlowBrowser
> - ScriptManager (now with icons)
> - Tealight, Teapot, Nginx, NPMJS, GitHubAPI, FogBugz
> - OSWindows, OSOSX, OSUnix, OSLinuxCentOS, OSLinuxUbuntu, OSRaspbian
> - ...
>
> You should do the same with your projects!
>
> Also if you have a project on SqueakSource, STHub or GitHub that
> is not yet in the catalog it would be good to provide a ConfigurationOf...
> with a catalog description. Using Versionner it is easy to create one
> or generate the required catalog methods.
>
> This would give more visibility to your projects!
>
> Thanks
> T.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

CyrilFerlicot
On 02/02/2017 17:18, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Good idea, Torsten!
>
> I updated the following (with new #stable releases and catalog configs for Pharo 3,4,5 & 6):
>
> - NeoCSV
> - NeoJSON
> - Ston
> - ZTimestamp
> - Stamp
> - ZincHTTPComponents
> - Zodiac
> - WebSockets
> - Zinc SSO
>
> These were already running 6.0 builds on the CI servers.
>
> Sven
>
>
Hi Sven,

There is an error for the ZincHTTPComponents one in
ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents>>#version281:

`package: 'Zinc-Seaside' with: 'Zinc-Seaside-JohanBrichau.46'`

should be

`package: 'Zinc-Seaside' with: 'Zinc-Seaside-SvenVanCaekenberghe.46'`


It breaks Seaside of Pharo 5-6.

Thank you for the updates!

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France


signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Thanks for report this, Cyril, it should be fixed in version 2.8.2

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 13:36, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02/02/2017 17:18, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Good idea, Torsten!
>>
>> I updated the following (with new #stable releases and catalog configs for Pharo 3,4,5 & 6):
>>
>> - NeoCSV
>> - NeoJSON
>> - Ston
>> - ZTimestamp
>> - Stamp
>> - ZincHTTPComponents
>> - Zodiac
>> - WebSockets
>> - Zinc SSO
>>
>> These were already running 6.0 builds on the CI servers.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>>
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> There is an error for the ZincHTTPComponents one in
> ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents>>#version281:
>
> `package: 'Zinc-Seaside' with: 'Zinc-Seaside-JohanBrichau.46'`
>
> should be
>
> `package: 'Zinc-Seaside' with: 'Zinc-Seaside-SvenVanCaekenberghe.46'`
>
>
> It breaks Seaside of Pharo 5-6.
>
> Thank you for the updates!
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

CyrilFerlicot
On 03/02/2017 13:41, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Thanks for report this, Cyril, it should be fixed in version 2.8.2
>
>

That was fast, thank you.

I confirm it work now.

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France


signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 13:48, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 03/02/2017 13:41, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Thanks for report this, Cyril, it should be fixed in version 2.8.2
>
> That was fast, thank you.

Well, the bug report was very clear, it even included the solution, and I know I can trust you, so basically did what you said ;-)

> I confirm it work now.

Excellent.

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

kilon.alios
All my projects must be Pharo 6 ready because most of them were created inside Pharo 6 anyway. But thanks for the reminder . Time to make sure they work as expected.
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 at 15:06, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 13:48, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 03/02/2017 13:41, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Thanks for report this, Cyril, it should be fixed in version 2.8.2
>
> That was fast, thank you.

Well, the bug report was very clear, it even included the solution, and I know I can trust you, so basically did what you said ;-)

> I confirm it work now.

Excellent.

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
Time to make sure they work as expected.
And tag them #'Pharo6.0' once it's released. In the process of loading ChronosManager from the Catalog in Pharo 5, I got a warning that it was not marked as safe (sorry I forgot to tell you!). It ended up loading and working AFAICT.
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 4 Feb 2017, at 16:24, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> kilon.alios wrote
>> Time to make sure they work as expected.
>
> And tag them #'Pharo6.0' once it's released. In the process of loading
> ChronosManager from the Catalog in Pharo 5, I got a warning that it was not
> marked as safe (sorry I forgot to tell you!). It ended up loading and
> working AFAICT.

Euh, no, the configs must be copied into MetaRepoForPharo60, this is the way they are 'blessed', AFAIU.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-update-catalog-entries-tp4932354p4932978.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
the configs must be copied into MetaRepoForPharo60, this is the way they are 'blessed', AFAIU.
Ah, interesting! I wonder if this represents a bug then, because ChronosManager is in the metarepos for both Pharo 5 and 6, but in Pharo 5 loads the config from the meta-repo-for-6, not 5...
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Pierce Ng-3
On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 03:51:43PM -0800, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Ah, interesting! I wonder if this represents a bug then, because
> ChronosManager is in the metarepos for both Pharo 5 and 6, but in Pharo 5
> loads the config from the meta-repo-for-6, not 5...

ConfigOfGlorpSQLite is in both Pharo 5 and 6 meta repos, and 5's catalog
browser currently warns that it is unknown.

I modified CatalogProject class:

    createRepositoryURLtoNameMappings
        "Return a mapping between repositories URLs and their user names"

        ^ Dictionary new
            "Added the 6.0 line below."
            at: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo60/main' put: 'Pharo6.0';
            at: self pharoDistributionRepository put: self pharoCurrentDottedName;
            "at: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo50/main' put: 'Pharo5.0';"
            at: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo40/main' put: 'Pharo4.0';
            at: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo30/main' put: 'Pharo3.0';
            at: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' put: 'Unsorted';
            yourself

Also created this convenience method in CatalogProject class side:

    reset
        repositoryURLToNamMappings := nil

After which, sent #reset to CatalogProject, then (don't remember whether any
other steps here in between) clicked refresh in the catalog browser, and now
GlorpSQLite shows up as "Pharo 6.0" in my modified Pharo 5 image.

(And there's somebody on a Hacker News topic about Cuis yesterday freely
sharing their opinion that Pharo is not discoverable...)



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
The release what marked #common with the initial intention to make it compatible with Squeak too since it relies only on Morphic but I never actually bothered testing it, I have marked it #pharo now and it seems to install fine on my end.

I see little reason to support individual pharo versions because I focus always on the latest version. Ephestos projects like ChronosManager are made for personal reasons and are not intended for public consumption though I encourage it I do not have the time or motivation to make it work well for everyone. Including supporting older Pharo versions.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2017, at 16:24, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> kilon.alios wrote
>> Time to make sure they work as expected.
>
> And tag them #'Pharo6.0' once it's released. In the process of loading
> ChronosManager from the Catalog in Pharo 5, I got a warning that it was not
> marked as safe (sorry I forgot to tell you!). It ended up loading and
> working AFAICT.

Euh, no, the configs must be copied into MetaRepoForPharo60, this is the way they are 'blessed', AFAIU.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-update-catalog-entries-tp4932354p4932978.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
I see little reason to support individual pharo versions because I focus
always on the latest version.
I'm not suggesting that you maintain compatibility ongoingly with various versions, but if you mark compatible versions as such in the catalog, users won't get an unnecessary warning. Either way, thanks for the tool! I happily use it daily :)
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo 6 update catalog entries

kilon.alios
Fair point, I will make the changes.

Glad you find it useful, is there any new feature you want ?

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 at 18:05, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
kilon.alios wrote
> I see little reason to support individual pharo versions because I focus
> always on the latest version.

I'm not suggesting that you maintain compatibility ongoingly with various
versions, but if you mark compatible versions as such in the catalog, users
won't get an unnecessary warning. Either way, thanks for the tool! I happily
use it daily :)



-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-update-catalog-entries-tp4932354p4933169.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Loading...