Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Hey all,
Apologies if this one has been done to death.
I am on windows 10. Just downloaded a fresh image, 7.0.3 and tried loading
Seaside 3 from the catalogue browser. I get the 'Seaside 3 has not been
marked as tested for Pharo 7.0.3' dialog but press Yes to continue. It looks
like it starts to load packages (I get a progress bar flashing up) but then
Pharo just closes.
I can't see any error log. Is there another way to load Seaside or do I just
need to wait for Seaside testing to complete?
Thanks.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

CyrilFerlicot
Le 26/05/2019 à 01:24, Jeff Gray a écrit :

> Hey all,
> Apologies if this one has been done to death.
> I am on windows 10. Just downloaded a fresh image, 7.0.3 and tried loading
> Seaside 3 from the catalogue browser. I get the 'Seaside 3 has not been
> marked as tested for Pharo 7.0.3' dialog but press Yes to continue. It looks
> like it starts to load packages (I get a progress bar flashing up) but then
> Pharo just closes.
> I can't see any error log. Is there another way to load Seaside or do I just
> need to wait for Seaside testing to complete?
> Thanks.

Hi,

You can load Seaside via Iceberg by cloning the project then installing
it (right click on the Seaside name -> Metacello -> install) or by
executing the code you find here:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside#load-seaside

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
I'll try iceberg later but I just tried this:

Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 load

Similar to the browser Pharo just closes.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

CyrilFerlicot
Le 26/05/2019 à 02:03, Jeff Gray a écrit :
> I'll try iceberg later but I just tried this:
>
> Metacello new
>  baseline:'Seaside3';
>  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>  load
>
> Similar to the browser Pharo just closes.

Hum. I think I already got the problem before. IIRC the problem was that
my port 8080 was already used and Seaside launch an adaptor on this port
at installation.

Can you try to check if your port 8080 is used?

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Nothing showed up running netstat, and I tried rebooting just in case
something in memory but no, 8080 is not being used.
I have checked that I can get other packages. Garage loaded with no problem.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
This post was updated on .
As I'd not used Netstat before I tried an experiment. I fired up a Pharo
6 image which has seaside installed and serving content. Ran Netstat and saw
the line for port 8080. Then closed that image and ran netstat again and the
8080 line was gone. So I think I'm safe - 8080 not being used.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Just tried an experiment as I haven't used netstat before. I opened a Pharo 6
image with seaside running. Netstat showed a line for 8080. I closed that
image, ran netstat again and the 8080 line was gone. So, I'm fairly certain
that 8080 isn't being used.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

CyrilFerlicot
Le 26/05/2019 à 02:41, Jeff Gray a écrit :
> Nothing showed up running netstat, and I tried rebooting just in case
> something in memory but no, 8080 is not being used.
> I have checked that I can get other packages. Garage loaded with no problem.

Just to be sure can you try to execute:

Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 get.

#BaselineOfSeaside3 asClass compile: 'startWelcomeSeasideAdaptorInPharo
'.

Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 load

This script will load the baseline (configuration) of the Seaside
project, remove the part launching le adaptor and then load the project.
If it works it means there is a bug in the post load action of the
baseline, else we will need to dig up a little more.

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Same result with that script. Pharo just closes

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
And you are sure that you can load simpler/smaller projects from GitHub using Metacello and a BaselineOf ?

For example,

Metacello new
  baseline: 'ZTimestamp';
  repository: 'github://svenvc/ztimestamp';
  load.

If so (you said you were also able to load Garage), that means there is something not working for you specifically in Seaside. Maybe some filename that is too long ?

> On 26 May 2019, at 04:25, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In fact, if I just do the first statement:
>
> Metacello new
> baseline:'Seaside3';
> repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
> get.
>
> Pharo closes

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Same problem with ZTimestamp.
However, I tried Complex and that worked ok

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Johan Brichau-2
Before loading, try first disabling the Iceberg Metacello integration in the system settings.
I believe this can also be done by evaluating:
Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: false.

Also, if you are on windows, do not load the master branch but load the tonel branch of Seaside.
So:

Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: false.
Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: '<a href="github://SeasideSt/Seaside:tonel/repository" class="">github://SeasideSt/Seaside:tonel/repository';
 load

Although the Iceberg integration works just fine for me, I do recall issues with crashing images similarly in the past.

Let us know what happens..

Cheers
Johan

On 26 May 2019, at 11:04, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Same problem with ZTimestamp.
However, I tried Complex and that worked ok

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 26 May 2019, at 11:04, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same problem with ZTimestamp.
> However, I tried Complex and that worked ok

You probably loaded that using the Catalog Browser.

In the case of the Complex project, that means doing

Metacello new
  smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'MetaRepoForPharo70';
  configuration: 'Complex';
  version: #stable;
  load.

Which is quite different:

- it uses a ConfigurationOf instead of a BaselineOf
- it loads code using classic HTTP Monticello instead of GitHub/Iceberg
- it uses class Monticello source packages instead of Filetree or Tonel

You need help from other Windows users I guess.

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
Turning off iceberg integration gets me further. If I then load the tonal
branch I get an error: ZnUnknownScheme

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Jeff Gray
I should have mentioned I was running the 64 bit version. I just downloaded
the version 7 32 bit image and vm and Seaside downloaded fine

Re: Pharo 7.0.3 Seaside 3

Tim Mackinnon
You should log an issue on the Pharo github - with the simplest reproducible case (I think I understand it was loading Ztimestamp in a fresh image via Monticello on 64bit windows?

It’s been tricky having a good test on 64bit windows, so would be good if you’ve found something reproducible.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone