Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Following the contribution instructions on the website [1] to review the PR
for issue 15230 [2], I downloaded the build artifact [3] from the validation
[4]. When I tried to launch it a few times (Mac 10.13.2), it showed in the
app list, but never opened a window. I did a force quit and found a debug
log [5], which shows a few errors from different startup attempts which all
seem to trace back to Freetype. The latest was "Could not find accessor for
variable named "'dest'"" from "FFICallout>>loaderForArgNamed:", and further
down I found "FreeTypeExternalMemory>>primCopyToExternalMemory:"

1. https://pharo.org/review-fix
2. https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1383
3.
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-ci-jenkins2/job/Test%20pending%20pull%20request%20and%20branch%20Pipeline/job/PR-1383/3/artifact/bootstrap-cache/Pharo7.0-32bit-b901561.zip
4.
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-ci-jenkins2/blue/organizations/jenkins/Test%20pending%20pull%20request%20and%20branch%20Pipeline/detail/PR-1383/3/artifacts/
5. https://gist.github.com/seandenigris/d153ff4757f681c5169a29cf832ca31a

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Guillermo Polito
I'd say it looks more like an FFI bug than a Freetype bug, but we should investigate it...

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Guillermo Polito
Hi Sean,

I've just downloaded the image in [3] and was able to open it with some old vm and with a freshly downloaded stable vm

$ pharo-ui --version
5.0 5.0.201708271955 Mac OS X built on Aug 27 2017 20:27:09 UTC Compiler: 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.53) [Production Spur VM]
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2265 uuid: 76b62109-629a-4c39-9641-67b53321df9a Aug 27 2017
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2262 uuid: 8b531242-de02-48aa-b418-8d2dde0bec6c Aug 27 2017
VM: 201708271955 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $ Date: Sun Aug 27 21:55:26 2017 +0200 $

$ pharo-ui --version
5.0 5.0.201805090836 Mac OS X built on May  9 2018 08:46:37 UTC Compiler: 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31) [Production Spur VM]
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2380 uuid: c76d37e1-445c-4e34-9796-fc836dfd50c9 May  9 2018
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2380 uuid: c76d37e1-445c-4e34-9796-fc836dfd50c9 May  9 2018

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Guillermo Polito wrote
> I've just downloaded the image in [3] and was able to open it with some
> old
> vm and with a freshly downloaded stable vm

Weird. If I open it via CLI with either a fresh stable VM or the one for
Pharo 7 that launcher dl-ed, it works fine, but if I drop the image file
onto the same VM (which is what I did in my OP), it doesn't open. Anyway, no
big deal if I can open it somehow - just strange!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Pharo 7 Launch Failure - Freetype Problem?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Sean,

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:53 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guillermo Polito wrote
> I've just downloaded the image in [3] and was able to open it with some
> old
> vm and with a freshly downloaded stable vm

Weird. If I open it via CLI with either a fresh stable VM or the one for
Pharo 7 that launcher dl-ed, it works fine, but if I drop the image file
onto the same VM (which is what I did in my OP), it doesn't open. Anyway, no
big deal if I can open it somehow - just strange!

So this could be a current directory problem.  When one launches from the CLI the VM is in the current directory that the shell is in.  When one drops an image onto a VM one is in whatever directory the GUI launches desktop apps in.  These differ and hence that may cause problems.

best, Eliot