Pharo 7 RC - Changing to larger font breaks scrolling in code browsers

Pharo 7 RC - Changing to larger font breaks scrolling in code browsers

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Here is an annoying usability bug that I am experiencing and that sometimes drives me nuts. It has been there a while.

Take a stock Pharo 7 RC image and don't change any setting. Browse the method #testAsDateAndTime as implemented by DateAndTimeTest. This is a (too) long (test) method. Any long method will do.

You can scroll it fine in both the implementors and well as in the full browser.

Now switch to 'Medium' sized 'predefined style' Standard Fonts using the Settings Browser.

It is now close to impossible to scroll in the implementors or the full browser: not using the scroll bar arrows, not dragging the scroll bar, not clicking above/below the scroll bar, not using the scroll gesture (track pad, mouse pad, wheel), not using cursor keys inside the editor. Scrolling seems to happen automatically and goes on until the top or bottom.

Can anyone replicate this ?

Sven

Re: Pharo 7 RC - Changing to larger font breaks scrolling in code browsers

alistairgrant
Hi Sven,

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 17:08, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is an annoying usability bug that I am experiencing and that sometimes drives me nuts. It has been there a while.
>
> Take a stock Pharo 7 RC image and don't change any setting. Browse the method #testAsDateAndTime as implemented by DateAndTimeTest. This is a (too) long (test) method. Any long method will do.
>
> You can scroll it fine in both the implementors and well as in the full browser.
>
> Now switch to 'Medium' sized 'predefined style' Standard Fonts using the Settings Browser.
>
> It is now close to impossible to scroll in the implementors or the full browser: not using the scroll bar arrows, not dragging the scroll bar, not clicking above/below the scroll bar, not using the scroll gesture (track pad, mouse pad, wheel), not using cursor keys inside the editor. Scrolling seems to happen automatically and goes on until the top or bottom.
>
> Can anyone replicate this ?

On Ubuntu 16.04 with recent images I can reproduce the behaviour, with
the following additional observations:

- It doesn't seem to matter whether true type fonts are enabled or not.
- After increasing the font size to medium and opening the browser:
-- The (vertical) scroll bar isn't visible, it is possible to scroll
using the mouse wheel or cursor keys.
-- Increasing the width of the browser so the scroll bar is visible,
but not clicking on the scroll bar, scrolling using the mouse wheel or
cursor keys still works.
-- Once the scroll bar has been clicked on it fails as you describe.

HTH,
Alistair.

Re: Pharo 7 RC - Changing to larger font breaks scrolling in code browsers

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I am still having this issue in Pharo 7.0.1 as released and downloaded today.

The top menu bar also does not listen to font changes.