Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Pharo7 has proven to be a reliable host for Dr. Geo, and thank you for
your advices and helps. In the past weeks several screenshots  were
posted on DrGeo twitter, all based on P7 built. Many notable tools or
frameworks like Tonel, Glamour tool kit, Calypso, Metacello, VM builts
have proven to be reliable.

I  am now at the point where I am thinking about a new public release.
Before that I want to squeeze a bit more the image. It is now about
36MB, and I am looking at some advices to shrink it a bit more. What is
done is described there[1]. For example is it possible to remove Nautilus?

A temporary built can be fetched from there[2], tests and feedbacks are
also greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hilaire

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/DrGeoII-Installer/

[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

CyrilFerlicot
Le 28/04/2018 à 11:16, Hilaire a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Pharo7 has proven to be a reliable host for Dr. Geo, and thank you for
> your advices and helps. In the past weeks several screenshots  were
> posted on DrGeo twitter, all based on P7 built. Many notable tools or
> frameworks like Tonel, Glamour tool kit, Calypso, Metacello, VM builts
> have proven to be reliable.
>
> I  am now at the point where I am thinking about a new public release.
> Before that I want to squeeze a bit more the image. It is now about
> 36MB, and I am looking at some advices to shrink it a bit more. What is
> done is described there[1]. For example is it possible to remove Nautilus?
>
> A temporary built can be fetched from there[2], tests and feedbacks are
> also greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1]
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/DrGeoII-Installer/
>

> [2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0

Hi Hilaire,

Nautilus was removed 7days ago:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1231

Versionner and Kommiter 4days ago:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1245

So if you use a more recent Pharo 7 image it'll be smaller :)

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes
I have a 6 days old image.

Aha, so it explained why the image suddenly get smaller.

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 28/04/2018 à 11:20, Cyril Ferlicot D. a écrit :
> Nautilus was removed 7days ago:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1231
>
> Versionner and Kommiter 4days ago:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1245
>
> So if you use a more recent Pharo 7 image it'll be smaller:)

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

philippeback

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Very interesting to read that code. (There is a typo in workstation at one point).

[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0

Trying it out :-)

Phil

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes
Le 28/04/2018 à 12:11, [hidden email] a
écrit :

> Very interesting to read that code. (There is a typo in workstation at
> one point).
Thanks, fixed.

>     [2]
>     https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0
>     <https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0>
>

> Trying it out :-)

Cool

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 28/04/2018 à 12:11, [hidden email] a écrit :

Very interesting to read that code. (There is a typo in workstation at one point).
Thanks, fixed.

    [2]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wb7c6od4fdl9k/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0>

Trying it out :-)

Cool

Basic features seem to work nicely on my Windows 8.1 box.
I like the dark theme :-)

I would love to be able to select another palette than the existing one for figures and points etc.
Something somewhat more subtle instead of 255,255,0 variations.

Check this out https://terminal.sexy/

Phil

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes

Le 29/04/2018 à 12:52, [hidden email] a
écrit :
> Basic features seem to work nicely on my Windows 8.1 box.
> I like the dark theme :-)

So far I only see one usability issue with the Dark theme: the tooltips,
the contrast is two low with the surrounding area, we hardly see it when
it pop up: The tooltips will be better with a pale yellow background and
black text for example. It does not seem possible to easily adjust it in
the Drak Theme though

> I would love to be able to select another palette than the existing
> one for figures and points etc.
> Something somewhat more subtle instead of 255,255,0 variations.
>
> Check this out https://terminal.sexy/

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes
I would love to be able to select another palette than the existing one
for figures and points etc.
> Something somewhat more subtle instead of 255,255,0 variations.

For what kind of usage will you want to switch palette?

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would love to be able to select another palette than the existing one for figures and points etc.
Something somewhat more subtle instead of 255,255,0 variations.

For what kind of usage will you want to switch palette?

First these colors are killing my eyes for one.

Second, presentations look better with less garish/childish colors.

Phil

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

HilaireFernandes
Yes, these colours contrast a lot with each other, the idea is to paint
object and distinguish easily from each other.

If you can propose me a collection of colours to substitute one by one
to the current colours, I can take a look.

Hilaire

Le 01/05/2018 à 14:02, [hidden email] a
écrit :

> First these colors are killing my eyes for one.
>
> Second, presentations look better with less garish/childish colors.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

Marcus Denker-4

> On 28 Apr 2018, at 11:16, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Pharo7 has proven to be a reliable host for Dr. Geo, and thank you for your advices and helps. In the past weeks several screenshots  were posted on DrGeo twitter, all based on P7 built. Many notable tools or frameworks like Tonel, Glamour tool kit, Calypso, Metacello, VM builts have proven to be reliable.
>
> I  am now at the point where I am thinking about a new public release. Before that I want to squeeze a bit more the image. It is now about 36MB, and I am looking at some advices to shrink it a bit more.

We should analyse a bit better where the space is going… I wonder if there are more cases of initialisation data that we could move out of the image (e.g. like the truetype fonts in #fontContents).

        Marcus

Re: Pharo 7 image, some more size reducation

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 2 May 2018, at 13:47, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Apr 2018, at 11:16, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pharo7 has proven to be a reliable host for Dr. Geo, and thank you for your advices and helps. In the past weeks several screenshots  were posted on DrGeo twitter, all based on P7 built. Many notable tools or frameworks like Tonel, Glamour tool kit, Calypso, Metacello, VM builts have proven to be reliable.
>>
>> I  am now at the point where I am thinking about a new public release. Before that I want to squeeze a bit more the image. It is now about 36MB, and I am looking at some advices to shrink it a bit more.
>
> We should analyse a bit better where the space is going… I wonder if there are more cases of initialisation data that we could move out of the image (e.g. like the truetype fonts in #fontContents).
>
> Marcus

We could easily make a couple of things lazy loading over the internet.

Sadly, we are not allowed to do this in the 21st century. Sorry, can't resist.