Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

with some tweaks mostly related to FFI and fonts, we are able to run Pharo 7 on SqueakJS VM.

Do not expect blazing performance. Currently, it is about two orders of magnitude slower than the native VM.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Stephan Eggermont-3
Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with some tweaks mostly related to FFI and fonts, we are able to run Pharo
> 7 on SqueakJS VM.
>
> Do not expect blazing performance. Currently, it is about two orders of
> magnitude slower than the native VM.
>
> https://pavel-krivanek.github.io/pharo/pharo.html
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Cool. It works on my phone.

Stephan

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Tudor Girba-2
Great work!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

> On 21 May 2018, at 13:16, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> with some tweaks mostly related to FFI and fonts, we are able to run Pharo
>> 7 on SqueakJS VM.
>>
>> Do not expect blazing performance. Currently, it is about two orders of
>> magnitude slower than the native VM.
>>
>> https://pavel-krivanek.github.io/pharo/pharo.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>>

> Cool. It works on my phone.
>
> Stephan

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 21 May 2018, at 12:01, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> with some tweaks mostly related to FFI and fonts, we are able to run Pharo 7 on SqueakJS VM.
>
> Do not expect blazing performance. Currently, it is about two orders of magnitude slower than the native VM.
>
> https://pavel-krivanek.github.io/pharo/pharo.html
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Cool.

I had to use Ctrl-Click to get a menu. Keyboard shortcuts also don't seem to work (Ctrl based).

GT Inspectors also fail.

Sven

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
Nice work!

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:41 AM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 May 2018, at 12:01, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> with some tweaks mostly related to FFI and fonts, we are able to run Pharo 7 on SqueakJS VM.
>
> Do not expect blazing performance. Currently, it is about two orders of magnitude slower than the native VM.
>
> https://pavel-krivanek.github.io/pharo/pharo.html
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Cool.

I had to use Ctrl-Click to get a menu. Keyboard shortcuts also don't seem to work (Ctrl based).

GT Inspectors also fail.

Sven

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Esteban A. Maringolo
Nice experiment!
The fact that it works it's a feat itself.

Maybe in the future with WebAssembly and a lighter/core image it will
became a viable alternative.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Pharo 7 on SqueakJS (demo)

Tim Mackinnon
Interestingly - its faster on my iPhoneX than on my 2015 MacBook Pro - shows how much the processor speeds are advancing.