Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

Santiago Bragagnolo
Hi guys, i am just releasing SimpleDDS.

In order to connect into ROS world i had to implement a DDS support (Publisher/subscriber).

For achieving this i did  MetaDDS, a library that defines basic objects, announcements, event related mechanisms and data encoding formats, and on top of it SimpleDDS, which is ROS based.

SimpleDDS Has a package of examples highly commented for learning how to use it.

The comments are also in the Github wiki, as wiki pages:

Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'sbragagnolo' project: 'SimpleDDS'; configuration; loadVersion: #stable

Here some links about

Thats it. Enjoy.

Santiago

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

philippeback
Wow, impressive.​

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

Ben Coman
Santiago Bragagnolo wrote:

> Hi guys, i am just releasing SimpleDDS.
>
> In order to connect into ROS world i had to implement a DDS support
> (Publisher/subscriber).
>
> For achieving this i did  MetaDDS, a library that defines basic objects,
> announcements, event related mechanisms and data encoding formats, and
> on top of it SimpleDDS, which is ROS based.
>
> SimpleDDS Has a package of examples highly commented for learning how to
> use it.
>
> The comments are also in the Github wiki, as wiki pages:
>
> https://github.com/sbragagnolo/SimpleDDS/wiki
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'sbragagnolo' project: 'SimpleDDS';
> configuration; loadVersion: #stable
>

> Here some links about
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publish%E2%80%93subscribe_pattern
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Distribution_Service
>

> Thats it. Enjoy.
>
> Santiago

I haven't heard of DDS, but this seems really significant!

 From wikipedia... "DDS addresses the needs of applications like
financial trading, air-traffic control, smart grid management, and other
Big data applications. The standard is used in applications such as
smartphone operating systems,[1] transportation systems and vehicles,[2]
software-defined radio, and by healthcare providers."

This could be a nice lead into these application domains.

If this got to a sufficient level of features, maybe Santiago could even
be sponsored to attend an interoperability meeting? "DDS vendors
participated in _Interoperability demonstrations_ at the Object
Management Group (OMG) Spring Technical Meeting.[7] During the demo,
each vendor publishes and subscribes to each other's topics using a test
suite called the Shapes Demo." Such might be a good place to network and
demo general use of Pharo.

cheers -ben

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

Luc Fabresse

This is great.
Fo info, DDS is a standardized MOM middleware heavily used in industrial apps with multiple concrete implementations such as http://www.prismtech.com/opensplice.
And one of these implementations will be the next backend of ROS and therefore needed in PhaROS.
Thx Santiago!

#Luc

Santiago Bragagnolo wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia... "DDS addresses the needs of applications like financial trading, air-traffic control, smart grid management, and other Big data applications. The standard is used in applications such as smartphone operating systems,[1] transportation systems and vehicles,[2] software-defined radio, and by healthcare providers."

This could be a nice lead into these application domains.

If this got to a sufficient level of features, maybe Santiago could even be sponsored to attend an interoperability meeting? "DDS vendors participated in _Interoperability demonstrations_ at the Object Management Group (OMG) Spring Technical Meeting.[7] During the demo, each vendor publishes and subscribes to each other's topics using a test suite called the Shapes Demo." Such might be a good place to network and demo general use of Pharo.

cheers -ben

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

cedreek
This is excellent :)

I just wonder how it compare to DDP (Data Distribution Protocol) wich seems

Thans by the way, I’ll try Simple DDS.

Cheers,

Cédrick

Santiago Bragagnolo wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia... "DDS addresses the needs of applications like financial trading, air-traffic control, smart grid management, and other Big data applications. The standard is used in applications such as smartphone operating systems,[1] transportation systems and vehicles,[2] software-defined radio, and by healthcare providers."

This could be a nice lead into these application domains.

If this got to a sufficient level of features, maybe Santiago could even be sponsored to attend an interoperability meeting? "DDS vendors participated in _Interoperability demonstrations_ at the Object Management Group (OMG) Spring Technical Meeting.[7] During the demo, each vendor publishes and subscribes to each other's topics using a test suite called the Shapes Demo." Such might be a good place to network and demo general use of Pharo.

cheers -ben

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

S Krish

Nice work.. !

DDS = Corba repackaged. Hopefully for the better... need to dig in to see how easy it is now.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys, i am just releasing SimpleDDS.

In order to connect into ROS world i had to implement a DDS support (Publisher/subscriber).

For achieving this i did  MetaDDS, a library that defines basic objects, announcements, event related mechanisms and data encoding formats, and on top of it SimpleDDS, which is ROS based.

SimpleDDS Has a package of examples highly commented for learning how to use it.

The comments are also in the Github wiki, as wiki pages:

Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'sbragagnolo' project: 'SimpleDDS'; configuration; loadVersion: #stable

Here some links about

Thats it. Enjoy.

Santiago

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

Santiago Bragagnolo
Hi Cedric, thanks.

As far as i know, (im not quite versed on DDP), DDP starts with the base that you have data distributed, and that you have kind of actors or RPC arhitecture.

 That means that you will call methods to remote servers, and that may cause changes.
 That changes will be notified to subscriptors, like this you can replicate the data or do what ever you want with the changes.

In the design of an application, your services interact by sending messages, and everyone can be noticed by the notifications.

In DDS you send, commonly, the output of your processing, hoping someone will use it for something. No one needs to understand anything about your implementation and the system keeps working with your process or without (meanwhile is not the master, weakpoint).

A cool metaphor may be that DDP is like a ford assembly line, DDS is like a powerline or network.

i hope it helps you

Santiago Bragagnolo wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia... "DDS addresses the needs of applications like financial trading, air-traffic control, smart grid management, and other Big data applications. The standard is used in applications such as smartphone operating systems,[1] transportation systems and vehicles,[2] software-defined radio, and by healthcare providers."

This could be a nice lead into these application domains.

If this got to a sufficient level of features, maybe Santiago could even be sponsored to attend an interoperability meeting? "DDS vendors participated in _Interoperability demonstrations_ at the Object Management Group (OMG) Spring Technical Meeting.[7] During the demo, each vendor publishes and subscribes to each other's topics using a test suite called the Shapes Demo." Such might be a good place to network and demo general use of Pharo.

cheers -ben

Re: Pharo - [ANN] SimpleDDS v1.0 released.

cedreek
Thanks Santiago, I think this is a decent comparison. I also found these bits of information regarding the question:

Now time to try out :)

Cheers,

Cédrick

Le 2 déc. 2014 à 00:44, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Santiago Bragagnolo wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia... "DDS addresses the needs of applications like financial trading, air-traffic control, smart grid management, and other Big data applications. The standard is used in applications such as smartphone operating systems,[1] transportation systems and vehicles,[2] software-defined radio, and by healthcare providers."