Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
Hi all,

I struggled with the fact that the PBE2 book was in tex format and not
all chapters were together in a single PDF.

So, I ran the scripts in order to get a version with all the parts put together.

This should be made into a Jenkins job I think so that we can have the
PBE2 and other books in PDF form for easier dissemination.

Here is the current assembly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8pesgxsovy61k5/PBE2-Assembled-20130213.pdf

412 pages of Pharo explanations. How lovely!

Enjoy,

Phil

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This should be made into a Jenkins job I think so that we can have the
> PBE2 and other books in PDF form for easier dissemination.

you are right. Here is one:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/DeepIntoPharo/

the only missing piece is the automated upload to GForge
(http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/). I'm
working on it.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
I am eager to see the full thing! Thanks for the CI job.

2013/2/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This should be made into a Jenkins job I think so that we can have the
>> PBE2 and other books in PDF form for easier dissemination.
>

> you are right. Here is one:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/DeepIntoPharo/
>
> the only missing piece is the automated upload to GForge
> (http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/). I'm
> working on it.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
Please generate the full book instead of the individual chapters. Or
do both, I do not mind, but the former is much more interesting to
carry around (on my tablet for example).

Phil

2013/2/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This should be made into a Jenkins job I think so that we can have the
>> PBE2 and other books in PDF form for easier dissemination.
>

> you are right. Here is one:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/DeepIntoPharo/
>
> the only missing piece is the automated upload to GForge
> (http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/). I'm
> working on it.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/2/19 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

> 2013/2/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This should be made into a Jenkins job I think so that we can have the
>>> PBE2 and other books in PDF form for easier dissemination.
>>

>> you are right. Here is one:
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/DeepIntoPharo/
>>
>> the only missing piece is the automated upload to GForge
>> (http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/). I'm
>> working on it.

It would be great to have something like
https://github.com/danchoi/kindlefodder in the book CI pipeline... :D

I know I'm asking without giving anything back, but at least that way
I'd read it! :)
(and Kindles/ebook readers are more common every day).

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
I tried http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

but what comes out is pretty crappy since we do lose a lot of
formatting in an epub format.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwreegtgx7ptrpp/PBE2_Assembled_20130213.epub

Phil

2013/2/19 Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

> 2013/2/19 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> you are right. Here is one:
>>>
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/DeepIntoPharo/
>>>
>>> the only missing piece is the automated upload to GForge
>>> (http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/). I'm
>>> working on it.
>
> It would be great to have something like
> https://github.com/danchoi/kindlefodder in the book CI pipeline... :D
>
> I know I'm asking without giving anything back, but at least that way
> I'd read it! :)
> (and Kindles/ebook readers are more common every day).
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 19 Feb 2013, at 15:34, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub
>
> but what comes out is pretty crappy since we do lose a lot of
> formatting in an epub format.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwreegtgx7ptrpp/PBE2_Assembled_20130213.epub

Too bad.

Although it is possible to read books, articles, and so on from formatted PDF's on tablets and computers, it is definitively *not* the future of online reading.

Well done epub is already a lot better, but even that leaves lots of room for improvement. (Is something as fundamental as a page even a valid concept ?)

In the end, it is all just a huge amount of work.

> Phil
>

> 2013/2/19 Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

>> It would be great to have something like
>> https://github.com/danchoi/kindlefodder in the book CI pipeline... :D
>>
>> I know I'm asking without giving anything back, but at least that way
>> I'd read it! :)
>> (and Kindles/ebook readers are more common every day).
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
I read a ton of PDFs on my iPad with GoodReader. It works perfectly
well and can do text reflowing.

ePub is fine for fiction books or books without too many graphics but
for technical documents, I find it just sucks big time.

Phil

2013/2/19 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> On 19 Feb 2013, at 15:34, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I tried http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub
>>
>> but what comes out is pretty crappy since we do lose a lot of
>> formatting in an epub format.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwreegtgx7ptrpp/PBE2_Assembled_20130213.epub
>
> Too bad.
>
> Although it is possible to read books, articles, and so on from formatted PDF's on tablets and computers, it is definitively *not* the future of online reading.
>
> Well done epub is already a lot better, but even that leaves lots of room for improvement. (Is something as fundamental as a page even a valid concept ?)
>
> In the end, it is all just a huge amount of work.
>
>> Phil

>>> It would be great to have something like
>>> https://github.com/danchoi/kindlefodder in the book CI pipeline... :D
>>>
>>> I know I'm asking without giving anything back, but at least that way
>>> I'd read it! :)
>>> (and Kindles/ebook readers are more common every day).
>>>
>>> Regards!
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be great to have something like
> https://github.com/danchoi/kindlefodder in the book CI pipeline... :D

do you have any recipe on how to convert from LaTeX to this format?

Winston Churchill

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please generate the full book instead of the individual chapters. Or
> do both, I do not mind, but the former is much more interesting to
> carry around (on my tablet for example).

ok, the job now builds the whole book as well as individual chapters +
upload everything to
http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/latest/.

Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

philippeback
Got it. Sweet!

2013/2/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please generate the full book instead of the individual chapters. Or
>> do both, I do not mind, but the former is much more interesting to
>> carry around (on my tablet for example).
>

> ok, the job now builds the whole book as well as individual chapters +
> upload everything to
> http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/latest/.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo By Example 2 Book - Assembled Files in PDF form.

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
ok, the job now builds the whole book as well as individual chapters +
upload everything
Cool!! Thanks :)
Cheers,
Sean