Pharo Command Line

Torsten Bergmann
Sven wrote:
>The last couple of days I have been using the new command line tools and zero conf scripts for real and I must say that I am >truly impressed and happy.
>
>The save, printVersion, eval, st, config and test handlers are a joy to work with. The terminal colours add a nice polish.

Any documentation on it, blog posts or pharocasts available?

Thx
Torsten

Re: Pharo Command Line

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 08 Mar 2013, at 14:50, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven wrote:
>> The last couple of days I have been using the new command line tools and zero conf scripts for real and I must say that I am >truly impressed and happy.
>>
>> The save, printVersion, eval, st, config and test handlers are a joy to work with. The terminal colours add a nice polish.
>
> Any documentation on it, blog posts or pharocasts available?
>
> Thx
> Torsten

It is self-documenting ;-)

$ ./vm.sh Pharo.image --help

Usage: [<subcommand>] [--help] [--copyright] [--version] [--list]
        --help       print this help message
        --copyright  print the copyrights
        --version    print the version for the image and the vm
        --list       list a description of all active command line handlers
        <subcommand> a valid subcommand in --list

Documentation:
A DefaultCommandLineHandler handles default command line arguments and options.
The DefaultCommandLineHandler is activated before all other handlers.
It first checks if another handler is available. If so it will activate the found handler.

$ ./vm.sh Pharo.image --list

Currently installed Command Line Handlers:
    st              Loads and executes .st source files
    Fuel            Loads fuel files
    config          Install and inspect Metacello Configurations from the command line
    save            Rename the image and changes file
    test            A command line test runner
    update          Load updates
    printVersion    Print image version
    eval            Directly evaluates passed in one line scripts

$ ./vm.sh Pharo.image save --help

Usage: save <imageBaseName> [--delete-old]
  <imageName>     a base name for the image
        --delete-old    remove the old image and changes file

Documentation:
Saves the image and changes file under a new name.

Examples:
        # create a 'bar.image' and 'foo.changes'
        $PHAROVM Foo.image saveAs bar
        # create the same file as in the previous example but delete Foo.image and Foo.changes
        $PHAROVM Foo.image saveAs bar --delete-old
ubuntu@ip-10-32-48-109:~/t3-push$

And so on...

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Pharo Command Line

Camillo Bruni-3
or simply read the Class comments in the image, that's basically the content
shown by all the --help stuff ;)

And yes it will be announced in the 2.0 release message :)

On 2013-03-08, at 14:57, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08 Mar 2013, at 14:50, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sven wrote:
>>> The last couple of days I have been using the new command line tools and zero conf scripts for real and I must say that I am >truly impressed and happy.
>>>
>>> The save, printVersion, eval, st, config and test handlers are a joy to work with. The terminal colours add a nice polish.
>>
>> Any documentation on it, blog posts or pharocasts available?
>>
>> Thx
>> Torsten
>
> It is self-documenting ;-)
>
> $ ./vm.sh Pharo.image --help
>
> Usage: [<subcommand>] [--help] [--copyright] [--version] [--list]
> --help       print this help message
> --copyright  print the copyrights
> --version    print the version for the image and the vm
> --list       list a description of all active command line handlers
> <subcommand> a valid subcommand in --list
>
> Documentation:
> A DefaultCommandLineHandler handles default command line arguments and options.
> The DefaultCommandLineHandler is activated before all other handlers.
> It first checks if another handler is available. If so it will activate the found handler.
>

> $ ./vm.sh Pharo.image --list
>
> Currently installed Command Line Handlers:
>    st              Loads and executes .st source files
>    Fuel            Loads fuel files
>    config          Install and inspect Metacello Configurations from the command line
>    save            Rename the image and changes file
>    test            A command line test runner
>    update          Load updates
>    printVersion    Print image version
>    eval            Directly evaluates passed in one line scripts
>

> $ ./vm.sh Pharo.image save --help
>
> Usage: save <imageBaseName> [--delete-old]
> <imageName>     a base name for the image
> --delete-old    remove the old image and changes file
>
> Documentation:
> Saves the image and changes file under a new name.
>
> Examples:
> # create a 'bar.image' and 'foo.changes'
> $PHAROVM Foo.image saveAs bar
> # create the same file as in the previous example but delete Foo.image and Foo.changes
> $PHAROVM Foo.image saveAs bar --delete-old
> ubuntu@ip-10-32-48-109:~/t3-push$
>

> And so on...
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Pharo Command Line

Because in Pharo we are doing more than talking and we value documentation ……
Yes guys you can twitt that one!

:)

On Mar 8, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven wrote:
>> The last couple of days I have been using the new command line tools and zero conf scripts for real and I must say that I am >truly impressed and happy.
>>
>> The save, printVersion, eval, st, config and test handlers are a joy to work with. The terminal colours add a nice polish.
>
> Any documentation on it, blog posts or pharocasts available?
>
> Thx
> Torsten

ZeroConf.pdf (447K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo Command Line

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-03-08, at 22:14, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because in Pharo we are doing more than talking and we value documentation ……
> Yes guys you can twitt that one!

thanks stef.

though something to nag about... :P why is code not in a fixed-width font in the
pdf? :D It breaks all the formatting for the help comments.

Re: Pharo Command Line

stephane ducasse

On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-03-08, at 22:14, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Because in Pharo we are doing more than talking and we value documentation ……
>> Yes guys you can twitt that one!
>
> thanks stef.
>
> though something to nag about... :P why is code not in a fixed-width font in the
> pdf? :D It breaks all the formatting for the help comments.

Because I ***HATE*** \tt in pdf because it slows reading :)
This is like that in all the books I wrote.

Re: Pharo Command Line

Camillo Bruni-3
On 2013-03-09, at 13:52, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2013-03-08, at 22:14, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Because in Pharo we are doing more than talking and we value documentation ……
>>> Yes guys you can twitt that one!
>>
>> thanks stef.
>>
>> though something to nag about... :P why is code not in a fixed-width font in the
>> pdf? :D It breaks all the formatting for the help comments.
>

> Because I ***HATE*** \tt in pdf because it slows reading :)
> This is like that in all the books I wrote.

it's called source code, not english prose text or a roman.
and in this particular case you broke readability 100% because my help output was aligned.

Re: Pharo Command Line

Igor Stasenko
@Stef in the attached.. conclusion seems highly unrelated to zero conf :)

--