Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

Stéphane Ducasse
Dear Pharo Friends and Supporters

We worked a lot with INRIA lawyers and tried a lot of different scenarios. We arrived to a setup that make sense
now we would like to get your input. Please have a look at the following powerpoint presentation and feel free to comment!

We provide some sketches for the consortium fees and benefits for you. But we need your input!
If you are not in the mailing-list: send us a mail to [hidden email].

Remember that what we want to achieve is to be able to pay one (or more) full time engineer to help us improving
our system and making that our future is bright.

Since it may be difficult to follow closely our vision, dreams and current development efforts you can read the Pharo vision document.

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30436/PHARO-ENG-V4.2.pdf

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30434/PharoVision.pdf

The Pharo Team

                        Remember: The best way to predict the future is to invent it. A. Kay
                        And we want to do it :)

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for

tallman@inbox.ru
I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood something...but where is this "following powerpoint presentation"?

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:19:12 +0100 от Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Pharo Friends and Supporters
>
> We worked a lot with INRIA lawyers and tried a lot of different scenarios. We
> arrived to a setup that make sense
> now we would like to get your input. Please have a look at the following
> powerpoint presentation and feel free to comment!
>
> We provide some sketches for the consortium fees and benefits for you. But we
> need your input!
> If you are not in the mailing-list: send us a mail to [hidden email].
>
> Remember that what we want to achieve is to be able to pay one (or more) full
> time engineer to help us improving
> our system and making that our future is bright.
>
> Since it may be difficult to follow closely our vision, dreams and current
> development efforts you can read the Pharo vision document.
>

> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30436/PHARO-ENG-V4.2.pdf
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30434/PharoVision.pdf
>
> The Pharo Team
>
> Remember: The best way to predict the future is to invent it. A. Kay
> And we want to do it :)

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for

Damien Cassou
2012/3/21 Юрий Мироненко <[hidden email]>:
> I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood something...but where is this "following powerpoint presentation"?

It is a pdf file :
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30436/PHARO-ENG-V4.2.pdf

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

tallman@inbox.ru
You will probably want to add something special for self-employed - like me.

Let me explain. I'm self-employed and I making pharo-based solutions. So my interest in pharo is somewhat stronger than just "hey, it's cool and I just like smalltalk". At the same time I'm not (hopefully yet) reached the size of "small firm". I can't afford 2000 euro/year - it's my income for several months (3 to 5 depend on my luck). But I definetely can afford more than 40 euro/year.

I have a feeling that my case is not unique, especially in Argentina. You see, smalltalk is not mainstream, and neither Pharo. So it's natural to start as an self-employed. And it takes considerably big time to reach "small firm" size. Maybe some argentinians (or russians, or anybody else) can confirm (or decline) this?

Of course, it is possible to make donations without be involved into Consortium. But it's much...mmm...pleasant to be "involved". I expect that more (and more regularly) funds will be collected if invite self-employed to join the consortium rather than just propose to make donations.

P.S. Sorry for such a long waiting before answering: you know, GSoC...

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:19:12 +0100 от Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Pharo Friends and Supporters
>
> We worked a lot with INRIA lawyers and tried a lot of different scenarios. We arrived to a setup that make sense
> now we would like to get your input. Please have a look at the following powerpoint presentation and feel free to comment!
>
> We provide some sketches for the consortium fees and benefits for you. But we need your input!
> If you are not in the mailing-list: send us a mail to [hidden email].
>
> Remember that what we want to achieve is to be able to pay one (or more) full time engineer to help us improving
> our system and making that our future is bright.
>
> Since it may be difficult to follow closely our vision, dreams and current development efforts you can read the Pharo vision document.
>

> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30436/PHARO-ENG-V4.2.pdf
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30434/PharoVision.pdf
>
> The Pharo Team
>
> Remember: The best way to predict the future is to invent it. A. Kay
> And we want to do it :)

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

stephane ducasse-2

On Apr 30, 2012, at 9:58 PM, Yuriy Mironenko wrote:

> You will probably want to add something special for self-employed - like me.
>
> Let me explain. I'm self-employed and I making pharo-based solutions. So my interest in pharo is somewhat stronger than just "hey, it's cool and I just like smalltalk". At the same time I'm not (hopefully yet) reached the size of "small firm". I can't afford 2000 euro/year - it's my income for several months (3 to 5 depend on my luck).

I imagine and I hope you will get better and make more money.

> But I definetely can afford more than 40 euro/year.

:)
Thank

> I have a feeling that my case is not unique, especially in Argentina. You see, smalltalk is not mainstream, and neither Pharo. So it's natural to start as an self-employed. And it takes considerably big time to reach "small firm" size. Maybe some argentinians (or russians, or anybody else) can confirm (or decline) this?
>
> Of course, it is possible to make donations without be involved into Consortium. But it's much...mmm...pleasant to be "involved". I expect that more (and more regularly) funds will be collected if invite self-employed to join the consortium rather than just propose to make donations.
>
> P.S. Sorry for such a long waiting before answering: you know, GSoC…

Thanks for your feedback. We are trying to find a solution that works but this is not easy.
I think that the donation is a good way to work. Because if we have 500 Euros as starter fee then may be nobody will give 2000
and our goal is really to make sure that smart guys like igor can push the infrastructure. Because we can deal well with image side
abstractions but for VM, C interactions… and others we need super good people and they are rare.

Stef

> Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:19:12 +0100 от Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear Pharo Friends and Supporters
>>
>> We worked a lot with INRIA lawyers and tried a lot of different scenarios. We arrived to a setup that make sense
>> now we would like to get your input. Please have a look at the following powerpoint presentation and feel free to comment!
>>
>> We provide some sketches for the consortium fees and benefits for you. But we need your input!
>> If you are not in the mailing-list: send us a mail to [hidden email].
>>
>> Remember that what we want to achieve is to be able to pay one (or more) full time engineer to help us improving
>> our system and making that our future is bright.
>>
>> Since it may be difficult to follow closely our vision, dreams and current development efforts you can read the Pharo vision document.
>>

>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30436/PHARO-ENG-V4.2.pdf
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30434/PharoVision.pdf
>>
>> The Pharo Team
>>
>> Remember: The best way to predict the future is to invent it. A. Kay
>> And we want to do it :)

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

Stan Shepherd
Just a small correction:
• You can use, modify, merge… PHARO for
create your own application and commercialize

->

• You can use, modify, merge… PHARO to
create your own application and commercialize

...Stan

Re: Pharo Consortium Important Documents and Request for Feedback

Marcus Denker-4

On May 8, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Stan Shepherd wrote:

> Just a small correction:
> • You can use, modify, merge… PHARO for
> create your own application and commercialize
>
> ->
>
> • You can use, modify, merge… PHARO to
> create your own application and commercialize

Thank you, we will fix it.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de