Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello everybody

We got a final discussion with INRIA representatives and we will now set up a consortium for pharo.
INRIA will support the consortium by funding on advanced engineer for a year (may be two if the
consortium work well). So this is quite good around 55Keuros on consortium.

There some strings attached: We will not be able to pay remote development since this is regulated under the public market french laws
but we will be able to hire people (on french rate if they work in France).  We will have to see the legal period to spent the money.

The general idea is to see how the consortium evolves: ideally we would like to see if we can get it outside inria within a five years
period.

Now what we plan to do:
        - We would like to make the list of companies that sign the agreement letter public.
        Because this is important that other companies joins the consortium.

        - We will offer a free participation to any individual.

        - We are wondering if we could have a academic fee for the institution that want it:
        we have to discuss the fee. Any suggestions would be good: I was thinking that 500 Euros would be good for rich countries
        and 200 for the other ones. Now tell us.

        - We could also have way to pay a license or a way to give money to the consortium.

Now the complex part:
        - we would like to collect money from companies and again we will need your help
        to understand what is the correct model.
                We are thinking:
                        single person company: starting at 300 Euros
                        "small company": starting at 2500 Euros
                        large companies: starting at 5000 Euros.

        We would like to keep the model really simple and transparent.

Now our goal is to be able to pay an engineer like igor full time because there is so much to do.
But each day we get closer to what we want.

Stef and Marcus.

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

Luc Fabresse
Hi Guys,

2011/10/10 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hello everybody
>
> We got a final discussion with INRIA representatives and we will now set up a consortium for pharo.
> INRIA will support the consortium by funding on advanced engineer for a year (may be two if the
> consortium work well). So this is quite good around 55Keuros on consortium.

 That is a really good news!
 Thanks Guys to keep pushing in this direction.

Luc

> There some strings attached: We will not be able to pay remote development since this is regulated under the public market french laws
> but we will be able to hire people (on french rate if they work in France).  We will have to see the legal period to spent the money.
>
> The general idea is to see how the consortium evolves: ideally we would like to see if we can get it outside inria within a five years
> period.
>
> Now what we plan to do:
>        - We would like to make the list of companies that sign the agreement letter public.
>        Because this is important that other companies joins the consortium.
>
>        - We will offer a free participation to any individual.
>
>        - We are wondering if we could have a academic fee for the institution that want it:
>        we have to discuss the fee. Any suggestions would be good: I was thinking that 500 Euros would be good for rich countries
>        and 200 for the other ones. Now tell us.
>
>        - We could also have way to pay a license or a way to give money to the consortium.
>
> Now the complex part:
>        - we would like to collect money from companies and again we will need your help
>        to understand what is the correct model.
>                We are thinking:
>                        single person company: starting at 300 Euros
>                        "small company": starting at 2500 Euros
>                        large companies: starting at 5000 Euros.
>
>        We would like to keep the model really simple and transparent.
>
> Now our goal is to be able to pay an engineer like igor full time because there is so much to do.
> But each day we get closer to what we want.
>
> Stef and Marcus.

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

abergel
> - We are wondering if we could have a academic fee for the institution that want it:
> we have to discuss the fee. Any suggestions would be good: I was thinking that 500 Euros would be good for rich countries
> and 200 for the other ones. Now tell us.

As you can imagine, pulling out some money is not easy for a University. However, what can be done (at least for me), is to allocate money to invite a PhD holder to stay at the Uni of Chile and work on a topic. I should also be able to buy books (why not a special edition of Pharo by Example at 80 euros?)

> - We could also have way to pay a license or a way to give money to the consortium.

+1

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> - We are wondering if we could have a academic fee for the institution that want it:
>> we have to discuss the fee. Any suggestions would be good: I was thinking that 500 Euros would be good for rich countries
>> and 200 for the other ones. Now tell us.
>
> As you can imagine, pulling out some money is not easy for a University. However, what can be done (at least for me), is to allocate money to invite a PhD holder to stay at the Uni of Chile and work on a topic. I should also be able to buy books (why not a special edition of Pharo by Example at 80 euros?)

but you can buy software?
So you should be able to pay a license. We will work out of that.

>> - We could also have way to pay a license or a way to give money to the consortium.
>
> +1
>
> Alexandre
>

>> Now the complex part:
>> - we would like to collect money from companies and again we will need your help
>> to understand what is the correct model.
>> We are thinking:
>> single person company: starting at 300 Euros
>> "small company": starting at 2500 Euros
>> large companies: starting at 5000 Euros.
>>
>> We would like to keep the model really simple and transparent.
>>
>> Now our goal is to be able to pay an engineer like igor full time because there is so much to do.
>> But each day we get closer to what we want.
>>
>> Stef and Marcus.

Re: Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

abergel
> but you can buy software?
> So you should be able to pay a license. We will work out of that.

Only if I get some funding. And it will not be every year.

Alexandre

>>> - We could also have way to pay a license or a way to give money to the consortium.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>>> Now the complex part:
>>> - we would like to collect money from companies and again we will need your help
>>> to understand what is the correct model.
>>> We are thinking:
>>> single person company: starting at 300 Euros
>>> "small company": starting at 2500 Euros
>>> large companies: starting at 5000 Euros.
>>>
>>> We would like to keep the model really simple and transparent.
>>>
>>> Now our goal is to be able to pay an engineer like igor full time because there is so much to do.
>>> But each day we get closer to what we want.
>>>
>>> Stef and Marcus.
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Pharo Consortium News: let's make it real.

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
we will now set up a consortium for pharo.
Very cool. I'm in!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean