Pharo Custom Menus

Rob Rothwell
One of the things I like about the standard Squeak World menu is the "do..." menu--particularly when paired with "edit this list."

What do you think about having some core functionality for creating your own menu entries in Pharo?

Unless, of course, it's already there and I just can't find it!

Rob

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Adrian Lienhard
We removed this menu a couple of weeks ago. Many of the menu items did
not work anymore and I just moved the seemingly only useful entry,
"Close all debuggers", over to the menu where it belongs to.

I never found custom menu items useful because they can't easily be
moved between images. Since I often start over from a fresh image
adding custom entries to the menu makes no sense. If a lot of people
really need this feature, we can put it back.

Adrian

On Mar 18, 2009, at 13:22 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Yes!!!! I find that very very useful. I put lots of doIts or
> snippets of
> code I usually use.
>
> Greetins,
>
> Mariano
>
> 2009/3/17 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>
>
>> One of the things I like about the standard Squeak World menu is the
>> "do..." menu--particularly when paired with "edit this list."
>>
>> What do you think about having some core functionality for creating
>> your
>> own menu entries in Pharo?
>>
>> Unless, of course, it's already there and I just can't find it!
>>
>> Rob

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Alexandre Bergel
I agree with you Adrian.
However, I would love to see the registration mechanism. If I create a
new browser, I would like to see it appear in the menu.
Any though about this? I can work on it if some of you agree.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 18 Mar 2009, at 13:54, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> We removed this menu a couple of weeks ago. Many of the menu items did
> not work anymore and I just moved the seemingly only useful entry,
> "Close all debuggers", over to the menu where it belongs to.
>
> I never found custom menu items useful because they can't easily be
> moved between images. Since I often start over from a fresh image
> adding custom entries to the menu makes no sense. If a lot of people
> really need this feature, we can put it back.
>
> Adrian
>
> On Mar 18, 2009, at 13:22 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes!!!! I find that very very useful. I put lots of doIts or
>> snippets of
>> code I usually use.
>>
>> Greetins,
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> 2009/3/17 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> One of the things I like about the standard Squeak World menu is the
>>> "do..." menu--particularly when paired with "edit this list."
>>>
>>> What do you think about having some core functionality for creating
>>> your
>>> own menu entries in Pharo?
>>>
>>> Unless, of course, it's already there and I just can't find it!
>>>
>>> Rob

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Lukas Renggli
> I never found custom menu items useful because they can't easily be
> moved between images. Since I often start over from a fresh image
> adding custom entries to the menu makes no sense. If a lot of people
> really need this feature, we can put it back.

What would be cool is a more convenient menu registration mechanism
that gives control over where, when and how a menu item is displayed.
I guess method annotations would be a nice solution again.

Like this a tool such as "Seaside 2.9 Control Panel" [1] could appear
slightly more prominent than it does today. The menu item is currently
nested within a sub-sub-menu and that is far from optimal. When people
load this extension package, they very likely would also be able to
open this tool conveniently.

Furthermore such an approach would solve the problem of Rob and
Mariano cleanly. They could just bundle their scripts in a special
package and register them to appear in a custom sub-menu.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Lukas Renggli
And here is the missing reference of the famous but lost in a deep
menu tree "Seaside Control Panel":

[1] http://blog.fitzell.ca/2009/03/seaside-server-adaptors.html

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, that would be cool. Much more useful than the custom menu editing
since you can store your own menu items in code (rather than as
objects in the image).

Adrian

On Mar 18, 2009, at 14:04 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I never found custom menu items useful because they can't easily be
>> moved between images. Since I often start over from a fresh image
>> adding custom entries to the menu makes no sense. If a lot of people
>> really need this feature, we can put it back.
>
> What would be cool is a more convenient menu registration mechanism
> that gives control over where, when and how a menu item is displayed.
> I guess method annotations would be a nice solution again.
>
> Like this a tool such as "Seaside 2.9 Control Panel" [1] could appear
> slightly more prominent than it does today. The menu item is currently
> nested within a sub-sub-menu and that is far from optimal. When people
> load this extension package, they very likely would also be able to
> open this tool conveniently.
>
> Furthermore such an approach would solve the problem of Rob and
> Mariano cleanly. They could just bundle their scripts in a special
> package and register them to appear in a custom sub-menu.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with you Adrian.
> However, I would love to see the registration mechanism. If I create a
> new browser, I would like to see it appear in the menu.
> Any though about this? I can work on it if some of you agree.

It was not the purpose of old Romain's services ?

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo Custom Menus

Alexandre Bergel
>> I agree with you Adrian.
>> However, I would love to see the registration mechanism. If I
>> create a
>> new browser, I would like to see it appear in the menu.
>> Any though about this? I can work on it if some of you agree.
>
> It was not the purpose of old Romain's services ?

Could be, but Romain's services should not be used only for the
registration of application

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu