Pharo Kernel OSProcess evaluator

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I created a new job on CI server that creates a Pharo Kernel image
with OSProcess loaded and simple console based evaluator. Of course
something like Coral would be better ;-)

Cheers
-- Pavel

Re: Pharo Kernel OSProcess evaluator

Pavel Krivanek-3
link: https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo-Kernel/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20OSProcess%20evaluator/

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created a new job on CI server that creates a Pharo Kernel image
> with OSProcess loaded and simple console based evaluator. Of course
> something like Coral would be better ;-)
>
> Cheers
> -- Pavel

Re: Pharo Kernel OSProcess evaluator

Igor Stasenko
Pavel, could you provide some details, about where and how it could be
used. And maybe some examples.
Because its not clear , what is it.
Because i think that most people get used to having an UI and using
headless images is something
much more complicated (since you cannot see what happens).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo Kernel OSProcess evaluator

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

the main task of this build is to ensure that we can load OSProcess
and provide a pattern for the user jobs that want to use OSProcess.

https://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel/OSProcessEvaluator.st

The next purpose of this image is to enable an interactive
communication with the image and make the development of headless
images easier. What you get is something similar to irb or interactive
python interpreter.

And of course it may be used for simple Smalltalk scripts. For example
the command:

squeakvm -headless PharoKernel-OSProcessEvaluator.image < script > out.txt

where the script file looks like this:

20000 factorial
Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true

(ending with lf)

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel, could you provide some details, about where and how it could be
> used. And maybe some examples.
> Because its not clear , what is it.
> Because i think that most people get used to having an UI and using
> headless images is something
> much more complicated (since you cannot see what happens).
>
> On 10 August 2011 23:28, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> link: https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo-Kernel/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20OSProcess%20evaluator/
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Pavel Krivanek
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I created a new job on CI server that creates a Pharo Kernel image
>>> with OSProcess loaded and simple console based evaluator. Of course
>>> something like Coral would be better ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> -- Pavel
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo Kernel OSProcess evaluator

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23:51PM +0200, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the main task of this build is to ensure that we can load OSProcess
> and provide a pattern for the user jobs that want to use OSProcess.
>
> https://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel/OSProcessEvaluator.st
>
> The next purpose of this image is to enable an interactive
> communication with the image and make the development of headless
> images easier. What you get is something similar to irb or interactive
> python interpreter.
>
> And of course it may be used for simple Smalltalk scripts. For example
> the command:
>
> squeakvm -headless PharoKernel-OSProcessEvaluator.image < script > out.txt
>
> where the script file looks like this:
>
> 20000 factorial
> Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true
>
> (ending with lf)
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Cool :))

Here is another read-eval interpreter that you may want to look at
just for fun:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6023

I think your simple interpreter is better for what what you are doing
here, but it's interesting to experiment with Squeak/Pharo as a /bin/sh
replacement too.

Dave

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23:51PM +0200, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the main task of this build is to ensure that we can load OSProcess
>> and provide a pattern for the user jobs that want to use OSProcess.
>>
>> https://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel/OSProcessEvaluator.st
>>
>> The next purpose of this image is to enable an interactive
>> communication with the image and make the development of headless
>> images easier. What you get is something similar to irb or interactive
>> python interpreter.
>>
>> And of course it may be used for simple Smalltalk scripts. For example
>> the command:
>>
>> squeakvm -headless PharoKernel-OSProcessEvaluator.image < script > out.txt
>>
>> where the script file looks like this:
>>
>> 20000 factorial
>> Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true
>>
>> (ending with lf)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>
> Cool :))
>
> Here is another read-eval interpreter that you may want to look at
> just for fun:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6023
>
> I think your simple interpreter is better for what what you are doing
> here, but it's interesting to experiment with Squeak/Pharo as a /bin/sh
> replacement too.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I know about it and I looked at it to see if it could be used for
Pharo Kernel. Currently it has many Morphic dependencies and it was
easier to write the simple evaluator loop ;-)

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:19:05PM +0200, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23:51PM +0200, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> the main task of this build is to ensure that we can load OSProcess
> >> and provide a pattern for the user jobs that want to use OSProcess.
> >>
> >> https://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel/OSProcessEvaluator.st
> >>
> >> The next purpose of this image is to enable an interactive
> >> communication with the image and make the development of headless
> >> images easier. What you get is something similar to irb or interactive
> >> python interpreter.
> >>
> >> And of course it may be used for simple Smalltalk scripts. For example
> >> the command:
> >>
> >> squeakvm -headless PharoKernel-OSProcessEvaluator.image < script > out.txt
> >>
> >> where the script file looks like this:
> >>
> >> 20000 factorial
> >> Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true
> >>
> >> (ending with lf)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> -- Pavel
> >
> > Cool :))
> >
> > Here is another read-eval interpreter that you may want to look at
> > just for fun:
> >
> > ?http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6023
> >
> > I think your simple interpreter is better for what what you are doing
> > here, but it's interesting to experiment with Squeak/Pharo as a /bin/sh
> > replacement too.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I know about it and I looked at it to see if it could be used for
> Pharo Kernel. Currently it has many Morphic dependencies and it was
> easier to write the simple evaluator loop ;-)

Hi Pavel,

Yes, you did the right thing :)

Dave