Pharo Launcher & Stored Settings

Evan Donahue
Is there a way to handle settings that should be different for every image when using Pharo Launcher?

In particular, Settings > Software Configuraiton > Monticello > Default Local Repository & Local Cache Directory should be specific to the new image, but if I ever store settings for any reason, they get saved and incorrectly propagate to fresh images. Also, they are initialized wrong in the first place.

How can I avoid this issue without manually adjusting these paths every time I make a new image?

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Pharo Launcher & Stored Settings

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Evan Donahue wrote
> Is there a way to handle settings that should be different for every
> image…

Startup script?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Pharo Launcher & Stored Settings

Evan Donahue
Hmm, the only things I'm trying to accomplish are 1) use Pharo Launcher and
2) have each new image keep its repositories separate, as advised by others
on the list, so that different images can check out different branches. Does
that set up require custom scripting to adjust the repo path?

The cache path does seem to do the required adjusting on its own, but the
'metacello default directory' path defaults to that crazy thing that's not a
path on my computer:

/builds/workspace/Pharo-6.0-Update-Step-1-Tracker

PS, Is the 'store settings' button in the settings menu the standard way to
configure cross-image preferences, because that seems to also save things
like these paths that should be generated anew with each new image. Maybe I
should stick with one single place for repos and just configure these paths
to be global?

Thanks

Re: Pharo Launcher & Stored Settings

Tim Mackinnon
The settings that you save will apply to all images - so you need to clear out those settings for shared repo’s etc.

I think what is confusing is that using the  Save button - means apply the settings to all images. If you change the setting locally in your image and don’t press save, it persists just in that image (is you can try something out).

If you want most images to share a setting and just a few to not do it - then you would save the main setting - and just adjust locally when needed - or could have some startup script that recognised certain image names and applied something programmatically.

Tim

> On 7 Aug 2018, at 02:03, Evan Donahue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm, the only things I'm trying to accomplish are 1) use Pharo Launcher and
> 2) have each new image keep its repositories separate, as advised by others
> on the list, so that different images can check out different branches. Does
> that set up require custom scripting to adjust the repo path?
>
> The cache path does seem to do the required adjusting on its own, but the
> 'metacello default directory' path defaults to that crazy thing that's not a
> path on my computer:
>
> /builds/workspace/Pharo-6.0-Update-Step-1-Tracker
>
> PS, Is the 'store settings' button in the settings menu the standard way to
> configure cross-image preferences, because that seems to also save things
> like these paths that should be generated anew with each new image. Maybe I
> should stick with one single place for repos and just configure these paths
> to be global?
>
> Thanks

Re: Pharo Launcher & Stored Settings

wernerk
On 08/07/2018 02:15 AM, Evan Donahue wrote:
> Yes, that's right. As long as I don't "store settings" everything is
> ok, but if I do find myself wanting to change a global setting of some
> kind, and I hit "store," it /also/ stores the metacello paths, which
> will then be incorrect for the next new image I create. Also, even if
> I delete them, it seems to autogenerate one (but not both) of the
> paths incorrectly (with that crazy /build) path.
>
> More generally though, all I was trying to do was use Pharo launcher
> and keep repositories separate, which I was advised to do by the list.
Hi Evan,
yes exactly. the default  if i dont change & _store_ settings is: i make
via launcher a pharo6.1blabla, it has its own repository-directory; i
make the next one, pharo6.1blabla-01, open monticello and it has another
package-cache. i did not test this, but i guess it could be possible
that if you store settings just once even _without_ changing anything,
the local cache directory will be stored, as the class-var-accessor
produced a valid path, and from then on this setting will not change
anymore for new builds via launcher.

you either reset the settings via deleting the monticello records in the
settings file found via StartupPreferencesLoader
preferencesVersionFolder. or if you need to store changed settings in a
general way eg for all 6.1 versions, you do that deleting afterwards.

i agree that the 2 monticello-settings behave differently and that this
is either irritating or probably a bug (because the second behaviour can
make storing other settings difficult), but then <shrugging shoulders> i
have to admit i was never bothered by this behaviour.
werner