Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

Gour
Hello,

I was playing with Pharo some time ago, but postponed it a bit until
seeing 64bit version...on Slack got info that 64bit VM is "very usable
(as far as you do not use athens)" so I'd appreciate if someone can
point me to some clear instructions how to install it (I'm on Fedora
Linux)?

Is it possible to have PharoLaucnher along with 64bit VM?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

kilon.alios
why you care about 64 bit ?
I dont think Pharo is 64 bit ready but it should be soon

The big advantage that 64 bit gives is more memory access , 32 bit has access to 2 GBs of memory. Even in memory its not such a big deal because you can launch multiple instances of pharo and take advantage of your entire memory , the advantage also doing like this  is that will give you the ability to run pharo on multiple cores something that a 64 bit VM by itself cannot do anyway, pharo / python / ruby etc.

Lack of 64 bit is definetly not a good reason not to use pharo, there are good reasons not to use pharo, but this one is not one of them.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 3:05 PM Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was playing with Pharo some time ago, but postponed it a bit until
seeing 64bit version...on Slack got info that 64bit VM is "very usable
(as far as you do not use athens)" so I'd appreciate if someone can
point me to some clear instructions how to install it (I'm on Fedora
Linux)?

Is it possible to have PharoLaucnher along with 64bit VM?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free
from attachment, fear and anger, is called a sage of steady mind.

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Gour,

See this thread:

http://forum.world.st/Breaking-the-4GB-barrier-with-Pharo-6-64-bit-tt4922305.html

There are some download links in the first post.

Remember, it is not yet finished, there will be issues.

Regards,

Sven

> On 4 Dec 2016, at 14:04, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was playing with Pharo some time ago, but postponed it a bit until
> seeing 64bit version...on Slack got info that 64bit VM is "very usable
> (as far as you do not use athens)" so I'd appreciate if someone can
> point me to some clear instructions how to install it (I'm on Fedora
> Linux)?
>
> Is it possible to have PharoLaucnher along with 64bit VM?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
> miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free
> from attachment, fear and anger, is called a sage of steady mind.

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

Gour
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 07:43:51 +0100
Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are some download links in the first post.
>
> Remember, it is not yet finished, there will be issues.

Thank you...Esteban Lorenzano helped me on the Slack...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction,
is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position,

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

Gour
On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:08:20 +0000
Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> why you care about 64 bit ?

I'm using 64bit OS for quite some time (aka years) and consider it's
good sign of some technology to help me avoding fiddling with 32bit
setup.

> I dont think Pharo is 64 bit ready but it should be soon

OK.

> The big advantage that 64 bit gives is more memory access , 32 bit has
> access to 2 GBs of memory. Even in memory its not such a big deal
> because you can launch multiple instances of pharo and take advantage
> of your entire memory , the advantage also doing like this  is that
> will give you the ability to run pharo on multiple cores something
> that a 64 bit VM by itself cannot do anyway, pharo / python / ruby
> etc.

I admit that I was not thinking about those advantages...

> Lack of 64 bit is definetly not a good reason not to use pharo,

I agree...it is just curiosity if it is ready for 64bit...

> there are good reasons not to use pharo, but this one is not one of
> them.

Do you mind to list some?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for
everyone follows the nature he has acquired from the three modes.

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

jtuchel
Dimitris,

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:08:20 +0000

> Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The big advantage that 64 bit gives is more memory access , 32 bit has
>> access to 2 GBs of memory. Even in memory its not such a big deal
>> because you can launch multiple instances of pharo and take advantage
>> of your entire memory , the advantage also doing like this  is that
>> will give you the ability to run pharo on multiple cores something
>> that a 64 bit VM by itself cannot do anyway, pharo / python / ruby
>> etc.

I never heard of this disadvantage of 64 bits before. Are you basically
saing you can't run multiple instances of a 64-bit VM/Image on a
multicore machine?
Can you elaborate?

Joachim

Re: Pharo Launcher and 64bit VM

kilon.alios

I'm using 64bit OS for quite some time (aka years) and consider it's
good sign of some technology to help me avoding fiddling with 32bit
setup.

Yeap no doubt there, 64 bit programming languages are pretty much the standard. I am definitely a supporter of moving to 64 bit and from the looks of it , maybe I should give 64 bit pharo a try myself, I thought it was not quite ready yet. Glad I am wrong.

Do you mind to list some?

Well the ones I care is lack for documentation or outdated documentation, lack of class method comments and lack of libraries which are the usual problems for small communities like pharo. I am coming from common lisp which was not very different. But then there are always pros and cons with every choice and nonetheless coding in pharo is still a joy for me :)

"
I never heard of this disadvantage of 64 bits before. Are you basically
saing you can't run multiple instances of a 64-bit VM/Image on a
multicore machine?
Can you elaborate?

Joachim
"

Yeah I should have been more clear, no I am not saying that 64-bit VM cannot do this. I was talking about multiple 32 bit pharo instances against a single 64 bit pharo instance. A unfair comparison but I was just trying to make a point.

This ability of multiple instances running on multiple cores is not even a VM feature, its just normal process handling of the OS. The OS assign each process to a different core to take better advantage of the processing power of the CPU.