[Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

[Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

demarey
Hi,

Regarding the various problems Pharo Launchers had on Windows, we worked on a new installer based on Advanced Installer [1] to avoid UAC (User Account Control) and write permissions problems. This new installer now installs Pharo Launcher in the user’s local app data folder (where for sure, he has write permissions). Pharo Launcher also now have its own icon and use its own name instead of Pharo. Also, the uninstaller now works as expected. Last but not least, the installer is now signed to avoid warning of Windows Defender.
Thanks to Ben Coman who did the first version of the packaging using Advanced Installer (was NSIS).
This version should also improve the launch of Pharo images on Windows.

So, please could you install and test this new version: and report any problem with it? http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/win-alpha/
We do not have windows users around so it’s hard to know if it works outside our tests boxes.

Thanks,
Christophe

[1] https://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I ran the launcher against my Windows 7 office computer and have created an issue with my feedback.
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/93

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul DeBruicker
Microsoft allows devs to download VMs for Windows 7, 8, & 10 that work with
VirtualBox, Vagrant, VmWare, Parallels, & HyperV here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

They last 90 days and you can install Pharo on them.  Their real purpose is
to test websites on IE.

demarey wrote

> Hi,
>
> Regarding the various problems Pharo Launchers had on Windows, we worked
> on a new installer based on Advanced Installer [1] to avoid UAC (User
> Account Control) and write permissions problems. This new installer now
> installs Pharo Launcher in the user’s local app data folder (where for
> sure, he has write permissions). Pharo Launcher also now have its own icon
> and use its own name instead of Pharo. Also, the uninstaller now works as
> expected. Last but not least, the installer is now signed to avoid warning
> of Windows Defender.
> Thanks to Ben Coman who did the first version of the packaging using
> Advanced Installer (was NSIS).
> This version should also improve the launch of Pharo images on Windows.
>
> So, please could you install and test this new version: and report any
> problem with it? http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/win-alpha/
> We do not have windows users around so it’s hard to know if it works
> outside our tests boxes.
>
> Thanks,
> Christophe
>
> [1] https://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 16/04/2018 11:13, Christophe Demarey wrote:

> So, please could you install and test this new version: and report any problem with it? http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/win-alpha/

I'm downloading it, but something is wrong with that fileserver, it's
downloading at veeeery slow speeds.

Can't we use something like AWS S3 to store the files of files.pharo.org?

> We do not have windows users around so it’s hard to know if it works outside our tests boxes.

Once it finishes I'll let you know. I'm one the few out there still
using Windows 7 Pro.

Regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo