Pharo Launcher name

ghoetker
I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a launcher.  It is also very confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app” next to one called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very different things (at least from a users perspective).

Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever been considered?

Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.

Glenn
Glenn Hoetker
ghoetker@me.com
http://hoetker.faculty.asu.edu

Re: Pharo Launcher name

CyrilFerlicot
Le 17/12/2017 à 00:32, Glenn Hoetker a écrit :

> I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an
> application called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a
> launcher.  It is also very confusing to have an application called
> “Pharo.app” next to one called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very
> different things (at least from a users perspective).
>
> Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever
> been considered?
>
> Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.
>
> Glenn
Hi,

I agree. I found it confusing on linux to have a "pharo" script to
launch the pharo launcher.

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/59

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Pharo Launcher name

abergel
+1

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 16 déc. 2017 à 20:32, Glenn Hoetker <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a launcher.  It is also very confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app” next to one called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very different things (at least from a users perspective).

Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever been considered?

Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.

Glenn

Re: Pharo Launcher name

Stephane Ducasse-3
I agree with you and we should rename it PharoLauncher.

Stef

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Glenn Hoetker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an application
> called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a launcher.  It is
> also very confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app” next to one
> called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very different things (at least from a
> users perspective).
>
> Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever been
> considered?
>
> Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.
>
> Glenn

Re: Pharo Launcher name

Mariano Martinez Peck
I also find having it called Pharo quite disturbing. PharoLauncher should be much better. Something that also disturbing is to see the same icon as all my pharo images / VMs. It would be much better if aside from having a different name, it could have a different icon.

Cheers,

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with you and we should rename it PharoLauncher.

Stef

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Glenn Hoetker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an application
> called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a launcher.  It is
> also very confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app” next to one
> called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very different things (at least from a
> users perspective).
>
> Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever been
> considered?
>
> Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.
>
> Glenn

Re: Pharo Launcher name

abergel
+1

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 17 déc. 2017 à 15:01, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I also find having it called Pharo quite disturbing. PharoLauncher should be much better. Something that also disturbing is to see the same icon as all my pharo images / VMs. It would be much better if aside from having a different name, it could have a different icon.

Cheers,

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with you and we should rename it PharoLauncher.

Stef

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Glenn Hoetker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I love the Pharo Launcher.  But, I find it confusing to have an application
> called “Pharo.app”. Nothing in that name suggests it is a launcher.  It is
> also very confusing to have an application called “Pharo.app” next to one
> called “Pharo6.1.app” when they are very different things (at least from a
> users perspective).
>
> Has changing the name of the Pharo Launcher to “Pharo Launcher” ever been
> considered?
>
> Just a thought. Most of all, thanks for the wonderful tool.
>
> Glenn

Re: Pharo Launcher name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> I also find having it called Pharo quite disturbing. PharoLauncher should
> be much better…

+1. IIRC the original idea was that the launcher would be *the* way new
users would experience Pharo, so it should simply be called "Pharo", but the
term already has a meaning to many people, so IMHO it created more confusion
than anything.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Pharo Launcher name

demarey
I agree. We should rename it PharoLauncher.