Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

philippeback
I wanted to try Pharo Laucher before the tech talk

But I get this when asking for an image

I do not even know what is going on and I am an "experienced user".

The impression this gives to a newcomer is utterly disastrous.

We are really on a bad path on this.

I'd like to get through this with some Launcher expert and fix this for good.

Phil

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

Vincent.Blondeau

Hi Phil,

I can help you to fix this issue. Can you tell me the list of the files in the folder that is designed by the error?

And in the parent folder, there should be a zip file with the same name, can you check if Pharo.exe is here and if the file list is the same?

It will be nice if you can serialize the stack and send it to me / post it in a new github issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues .

Thanks,

Vincent

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

Vincent.Blondeau

Thx for the issue :)

Ps: the fuel out is here:

Vincent

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

Ben Coman
When did you install it?
And what link?
What OS?
Is the VM named "pharo.exe" ?
I had a similar problem when I tried renaming the VM to "PharoLauncher.exe"
since PharoLauncher's VM-version-seach code was searching exactly for "pharo.exe"

cheers -ben

On 12 April 2018 at 22:57, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to try Pharo Laucher before the tech talk

But I get this when asking for an image

I do not even know what is going on and I am an "experienced user".

The impression this gives to a newcomer is utterly disastrous.

We are really on a bad path on this.

I'd like to get through this with some Launcher expert and fix this for good.

Phil

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

philippeback
Direct download from pharo.org / Windows.

Installed in C:\PharoLauchner20180412

Phil

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
When did you install it?
And what link?
What OS?
Is the VM named "pharo.exe" ?
I had a similar problem when I tried renaming the VM to "PharoLauncher.exe"
since PharoLauncher's VM-version-seach code was searching exactly for "pharo.exe"

cheers -ben

On 12 April 2018 at 22:57, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to try Pharo Laucher before the tech talk

But I get this when asking for an image

I do not even know what is going on and I am an "experienced user".

The impression this gives to a newcomer is utterly disastrous.

We are really on a bad path on this.

I'd like to get through this with some Launcher expert and fix this for good.

Phil

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

philippeback
Stack added.

Thx for the pointer. I actually never fueled out since that "new" debugger (and was using the old one due to stepping errors in the GTDebugger for tests. I think 6.x has solved that, this was in 5.0).

Phil

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thx for the issue :)

Ps: the fuel out is here:

Vincent

Re: Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Downloaded PharoLauncher (the latest installer at http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/win-alpha/, bleedingedge and signed).

Installed it without problem in the directory I wanted (as opposed to defaulting to my Documents folder as it was previously). I installed PL in a directory without "funky" characters.

But it bombs when PL (class PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository) assumes my images are located in C:\Users\BenoîSt-Jean\Documents\Pharo\images

The path is not correctly encoded (the î) and it breaks.

No window opens, I get a blank screen and a debugger.

Screenshot & fuel stack attached.

Reported the issue on GitHub: #92

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
Instagram: Chef_Benito
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

On Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:19:44 a.m. EDT, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Phil,

I can help you to fix this issue. Can you tell me the list of the files in the folder that is designed by the error?

And in the parent folder, there should be a zip file with the same name, can you check if Pharo.exe is here and if the file list is the same?

It will be nice if you can serialize the stack and send it to me / post it in a new github issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues .

PharoLauncherBleedingEdgeLastInstaller.JPG (173K) Download Attachment
Debugger-Stack-WindowsStore-2018-04-16-12370.fuel (1M) Download Attachment