Pharo Launcher

demarey
Hi,

I just updated Pharo Launcher. A new version 0.2.11 is available.
Here are the change log:
  • move Pharo Launcher to the latest stable pharo image: pharo 5.0. It implies That Pharo Launcher is now shipped with Spur VM.
  • allow an easy download of the new beta image: pharo 6.0
  • the Launcher now comes with 2 VMs:
    • Spur VM (pharo 5.0 and Pharo 6.0)
    • Non-Spur VM (to be able to run old images)
  • the Launcher is now shipped with a default template that is the current default Pharo image. It can be found in local templates.
  • there is a new OS bundle for linux: we now ship more files with the launcher and it was needed to have a bundle.
  • update of the default name propose when you create an image from a template: the default name will be the project name.

If you want to give it a try, executables are there:
Christophe.

Re: Pharo Launcher

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated Pharo Launcher. A new version 0.2.11 is available.
> Here are the change log:

Great ! Thank you for the update.

> move Pharo Launcher to the latest stable pharo image: pharo 5.0. It implies
> That Pharo Launcher is now shipped with Spur VM.
> allow an easy download of the new beta image: pharo 6.0
> the Launcher now comes with 2 VMs:
>
> Spur VM (pharo 5.0 and Pharo 6.0)
> Non-Spur VM (to be able to run old images)

I dl the mac version. I was not able to run non-spur VM images: the
launcher crash or do nothing ...

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo Launcher

demarey

> Le 17 juin 2016 à 12:00, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Demarey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just updated Pharo Launcher. A new version 0.2.11 is available.
>> Here are the change log:
>
> Great ! Thank you for the update.
>
>> move Pharo Launcher to the latest stable pharo image: pharo 5.0. It implies
>> That Pharo Launcher is now shipped with Spur VM.
>> allow an easy download of the new beta image: pharo 6.0
>> the Launcher now comes with 2 VMs:
>>
>> Spur VM (pharo 5.0 and Pharo 6.0)
>> Non-Spur VM (to be able to run old images)
>
> I dl the mac version. I was not able to run non-spur VM images: the
> launcher crash or do nothing ...

Indeed, I think it’s a side effect of latest changes I did after testing on Windows.
I take a look at it now

Re: Pharo Launcher

demarey
Now fixed. I replaced the DMG on files.pharo.org.
Thanks for the report

> Le 17 juin 2016 à 13:34, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>> Le 17 juin 2016 à 12:00, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Demarey
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just updated Pharo Launcher. A new version 0.2.11 is available.
>>> Here are the change log:
>>
>> Great ! Thank you for the update.
>>
>>> move Pharo Launcher to the latest stable pharo image: pharo 5.0. It implies
>>> That Pharo Launcher is now shipped with Spur VM.
>>> allow an easy download of the new beta image: pharo 6.0
>>> the Launcher now comes with 2 VMs:
>>>
>>> Spur VM (pharo 5.0 and Pharo 6.0)
>>> Non-Spur VM (to be able to run old images)
>>
>> I dl the mac version. I was not able to run non-spur VM images: the
>> launcher crash or do nothing ...
>
> Indeed, I think it’s a side effect of latest changes I did after testing on Windows.
> I take a look at it now

Re: Pharo Launcher

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Christophe ! Works now.

But I have some stability problems, after launching some images,
PharoLauncher freeze ...
But this is not a new problems. I had the same issue before.

Regards

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo Launcher

Tim Mackinnon
Hi guys - I finally got some free time to take a look at Pharo-5 and wanted Launcher back as well - I just downloaded it on my mac and I’m wondering if something is wrong?

The UI doesn’t look right (compared to the older 4.x version) - the top panel is white, and there is a grey run button next to the green one (the triangle) that seems to be missing transparency - so it all looks quite ugly. Have I downloaded something that is wrong?

I also notice, that when I go to create a new image from a template - the name prompt isn’t as good as the old version which used to include the parent node in the suggested name so you got something like “Pharo 6.0 (beta) 123455” as a descriptive name - it now just seems to offer “1234456” as the name now?

I don’t understand the how the paths work now - it seems that my old images launch fine, but a 5.x image doesn’t? Do I set the spur path for this - or is it the other way around (vm-path should be the new vm)? The floating help isn’t very descriptive on this.

Thanks,

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Jun 2016, at 13:10, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now fixed. I replaced the DMG on files.pharo.org.
> Thanks for the report
>
>>> Le 17 juin 2016 à 13:34, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>

>>> Le 17 juin 2016 à 12:00, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>>> Great ! Thank you for the update.

>>> I dl the mac version. I was not able to run non-spur VM images: the
>>> launcher crash or do nothing ...
>>
>> Indeed, I think it’s a side effect of latest changes I did after testing on Windows.
>> I take a look at it now

Re: Pharo Launcher

demarey
Hi Tim,

> Le 27 juin 2016 à 22:12, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi guys - I finally got some free time to take a look at Pharo-5 and wanted Launcher back as well - I just downloaded it on my mac and I’m wondering if something is wrong?
>
> The UI doesn’t look right (compared to the older 4.x version) - the top panel is white, and there is a grey run button next to the green one (the triangle) that seems to be missing transparency - so it all looks quite ugly. Have I downloaded something that is wrong?

No, is the current state of Pharo Launcher UI. I did not touch to this part but, yes, could be improved.

> I also notice, that when I go to create a new image from a template - the name prompt isn’t as good as the old version which used to include the parent node in the suggested name so you got something like “Pharo 6.0 (beta) 123455” as a descriptive name - it now just seems to offer “1234456” as the name now?

I did this change after a small survey on pharo launcher users that were, like me, bothered with previous proposed names: in most cases, they only want the name of their project. That could be discussed but now, in your example, you get 60121 that is still descriptive. Here, we should find the best proposition for most users, will not for to all.

> I don’t understand the how the paths work now - it seems that my old images launch fine, but a 5.x image doesn’t? Do I set the spur path for this - or is it the other way around (vm-path should be the new vm)? The floating help isn’t very descriptive on this.

Pharo launcher is now shipped with both vm (pre-spur and spur). The cog-spur vm now powered PharoLauncher and should be used to run spur images. If not, maybe you have a wrong setting for it. If you remove settings for both VM it should work. Maybe I should remove these settings since both VMs are now shipped with the launcher app. I do not know if it is relevant to some of you to use another VM than the default ones.

Thanks for the feedback.
Christophe

> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 17 Jun 2016, at 13:10, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Now fixed. I replaced the DMG on files.pharo.org.
>> Thanks for the report

>>> Indeed, I think it’s a side effect of latest changes I did after testing on Windows.
>>> I take a look at it now

Re: Pharo Launcher

Damien Cassou-2
Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> writes:
> Pharo launcher is now shipped with both vm (pre-spur and spur). The
> cog-spur vm now powered PharoLauncher and should be used to run spur
> images. If not, maybe you have a wrong setting for it. If you remove
> settings for both VM it should work. Maybe I should remove these
> settings since both VMs are now shipped with the launcher app. I do
> not know if it is relevant to some of you to use another VM than the
> default ones.

it is at least relevant for me because I cannot use the shipped VMs: I
have to use the ones of my Linux distribution.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Pharo Launcher

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - thanks of the detailed answer, I had to take a break from my investigation but I am keen to get it working again.

Its a shame I didn’t spot the survey on the name nomenclature because I liked the old system as it makes it much more obvious from the name exactly what you are getting - e.g. a Moose Build XXXX, vs Pharo 4.0 - YYYY (I would say this, as I implemented it). Its a shame you didn’t make it a feature switchable thing as I think you’ve lost useful functionality.  I will probably put it back and propose it as an option (if it’s veto’d I’ll maintain my own version - but a switch should hopefully satisfy everyone).

I’ll also see if we can make it look nice again - as Launcher used to be a good showcase of how to make a Pharo app look beautiful.

Tim

> On 28 Jun 2016, at 13:59, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>> Le 27 juin 2016 à 22:12, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi guys - I finally got some free time to take a look at Pharo-5 and wanted Launcher back as well - I just downloaded it on my mac and I’m wondering if something is wrong?
>>
>> The UI doesn’t look right (compared to the older 4.x version) - the top panel is white, and there is a grey run button next to the green one (the triangle) that seems to be missing transparency - so it all looks quite ugly. Have I downloaded something that is wrong?
>
> No, is the current state of Pharo Launcher UI. I did not touch to this part but, yes, could be improved.
>
>> I also notice, that when I go to create a new image from a template - the name prompt isn’t as good as the old version which used to include the parent node in the suggested name so you got something like “Pharo 6.0 (beta) 123455” as a descriptive name - it now just seems to offer “1234456” as the name now?
>
> I did this change after a small survey on pharo launcher users that were, like me, bothered with previous proposed names: in most cases, they only want the name of their project. That could be discussed but now, in your example, you get 60121 that is still descriptive. Here, we should find the best proposition for most users, will not for to all.
>
>> I don’t understand the how the paths work now - it seems that my old images launch fine, but a 5.x image doesn’t? Do I set the spur path for this - or is it the other way around (vm-path should be the new vm)? The floating help isn’t very descriptive on this.
>
> Pharo launcher is now shipped with both vm (pre-spur and spur). The cog-spur vm now powered PharoLauncher and should be used to run spur images. If not, maybe you have a wrong setting for it. If you remove settings for both VM it should work. Maybe I should remove these settings since both VMs are now shipped with the launcher app. I do not know if it is relevant to some of you to use another VM than the default ones.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
> Christophe
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On 17 Jun 2016, at 13:10, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now fixed. I replaced the DMG on files.pharo.org.
>>> Thanks for the report

Re: Pharo Launcher

Tim Mackinnon
I also recall that on OSX (at least some later versions), Apple introduced a change whereby if you try and launch another vm from the same vm, it wouldn’t open. You had to have a different vm on a different path for it to work correctly.

I will try and resolve my original problem and see if this is still the case.

Tim