Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Michel Marinier

I am an absolute beginner at Pharo and Im working my way through Pharo by Example as well as the MOOC online. While coding the TinyBlog example in the MOOC, I got stuck until I kind of guessed the difference between TBPost >> methodName and TBPost class >> methodName. I didnt know I had to click on the Class button to access the class methods and coded all the methods as instance methods. As a result, the system complained when the code tried create a new instance from a method such as title: text:.

I suppose I might have missed the place where this was explained in the MOOC, although Im not sure it was emphasized early on in the lessons. However, a suggestion would be that if you ever update the exercises that a notice be added warning students of the difference, at least in the first few exercises where there is so much to learn and remember. Im doing it in French, so it might look like this:

N’oubliez pas la différence entre ‘TBPost >>’ et ‘TBPost class >>’. Le premier indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode d’instance. Le second indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode de classe. Vous devez cliquer le bouton ‘Class’ pour accéder à la section correspondante. Dans la section pour l’instance, la définition débute par ‘Object subclass: #TBPost’ alors que dans la section pour la classe, la définition débute par ‘TBPost class’.

By the way, congrats on the great work providing those resources. I love the advice to poke around the system with the Browser and the Finder to find out stuff.  Thanks.

Re: Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hello Michel

did you have a look at the mooc videos?

C019-W3S06-BasicClassMethods.pdf
and
W5S02-UnderstandingClassMethods.pdf

In Pharo there is only one method lookup.
a method is looked up in the class of the receiver and if not found up
in superclass hierarchy.

This exactly the same for class methods:

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am an absolute beginner at Pharo and I’m working my way through Pharo by
> Example as well as the MOOC online. While coding the TinyBlog example in the
> MOOC, I got stuck until I kind of “guessed” the difference between “TBPost
>>> methodName” and “TBPost class >> methodName”. I didn’t know I had to
> click on the Class button to access the class methods and coded all the
> methods as instance methods. As a result, the system complained when the
> code tried create a new instance from a method such as “title: text:”.
>

> I suppose I might have missed the place where this was explained in the
> MOOC, although I’m not sure it was emphasized early on in the lessons.
> However, a suggestion would be that if you ever update the exercises that a
> notice be added warning students of the difference, at least in the first
> few exercises where there is so much to learn and remember. I’m doing it in
> French, so it might look like this:
>

> “
>
> N’oubliez pas la différence entre ‘TBPost >>’ et ‘TBPost class >>’. Le
> premier indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode d’instance. Le second indique
> qu’il s’agit d’une méthode de classe. Vous devez cliquer le bouton ‘Class’
> pour accéder à la section correspondante. Dans la section pour l’instance,
> la définition débute par ‘Object subclass: #TBPost’ alors que dans la
> section pour la classe, la définition débute par ‘TBPost class’.
>
> ”
>

> By the way, congrats on the great work providing those resources. I love the
> advice to poke around the system with the Browser and the Finder to find out
> stuff.  Thanks.

Re: Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Stephane Ducasse-3
- class methods are sent to class
- the corresponding method is lookup in the class of the receiver

for example

Date now

now is looked up in the class of Date => Date class

Stef

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Michel
>
> did you have a look at the mooc videos?
>

> C019-W3S06-BasicClassMethods.pdf
> and
> W5S02-UnderstandingClassMethods.pdf
>
> In Pharo there is only one method lookup.
> a method is looked up in the class of the receiver and if not found up
> in superclass hierarchy.
>
> This exactly the same for class methods:
>

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am an absolute beginner at Pharo and I’m working my way through Pharo by
>> Example as well as the MOOC online. While coding the TinyBlog example in the
>> MOOC, I got stuck until I kind of “guessed” the difference between “TBPost
>> click on the Class button to access the class methods and coded all the
>> methods as instance methods. As a result, the system complained when the
>> code tried create a new instance from a method such as “title: text:”.
>>

>> I suppose I might have missed the place where this was explained in the
>> MOOC, although I’m not sure it was emphasized early on in the lessons.
>> However, a suggestion would be that if you ever update the exercises that a
>> notice be added warning students of the difference, at least in the first
>> few exercises where there is so much to learn and remember. I’m doing it in
>> French, so it might look like this:
>>

>> “
>>
>> N’oubliez pas la différence entre ‘TBPost >>’ et ‘TBPost class >>’. Le
>> premier indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode d’instance. Le second indique
>> qu’il s’agit d’une méthode de classe. Vous devez cliquer le bouton ‘Class’
>> pour accéder à la section correspondante. Dans la section pour l’instance,
>> la définition débute par ‘Object subclass: #TBPost’ alors que dans la
>> section pour la classe, la définition débute par ‘TBPost class’.
>>
>> ”
>>

>> By the way, congrats on the great work providing those resources. I love the
>> advice to poke around the system with the Browser and the Finder to find out
>> stuff.  Thanks.

Re: Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Michel Marinier
Not yet. I'll start on week 3 today.

The lessons you mentioned are in week 3 and week 5 I believe (the W3 and W5 in the PDF file names). However, the exercises I am referring to are in week 1 and week 2, possibly before the concept has been explained?

In Pharo there is only one method lookup.
a method is looked up in the class of the receiver and if not found up in superclass hierarchy.

This exactly the same for class methods:

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am an absolute beginner at Pharo and I’m working my way through
> Pharo by Example as well as the MOOC online. While coding the TinyBlog
> example in the MOOC, I got stuck until I kind of “guessed” the
> difference between “TBPost
>>> methodName” and “TBPost class >> methodName”. I didn’t know I had to
> click on the Class button to access the class methods and coded all
> the methods as instance methods. As a result, the system complained
> when the code tried create a new instance from a method such as “title: text:”.
>

> I suppose I might have missed the place where this was explained in
> the MOOC, although I’m not sure it was emphasized early on in the lessons.
> However, a suggestion would be that if you ever update the exercises
> that a notice be added warning students of the difference, at least in
> the first few exercises where there is so much to learn and remember.
> I’m doing it in French, so it might look like this:
>

> “
>
> N’oubliez pas la différence entre ‘TBPost >>’ et ‘TBPost class >>’. Le
> premier indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode d’instance. Le second
> indique qu’il s’agit d’une méthode de classe. Vous devez cliquer le bouton ‘Class’
> pour accéder à la section correspondante. Dans la section pour
> l’instance, la définition débute par ‘Object subclass: #TBPost’ alors
> que dans la section pour la classe, la définition débute par ‘TBPost class’.
>
> ”
>

> By the way, congrats on the great work providing those resources. I
> love the advice to poke around the system with the Browser and the
> Finder to find out stuff.  Thanks.

Re: Pharo MOOC: Difference between class methods and instance methods

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ok I see. We were struggling with order and may be we should remove
the class methods in the exercise.

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not yet. I'll start on week 3 today.
>
> The lessons you mentioned are in week 3 and week 5 I believe (the W3 and W5 in the PDF file names). However, the exercises I am referring to are in week 1 and week 2, possibly before the concept has been explained?

I checked and we introduced them (without explaining them) in W1S6

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok I see. We were struggling with order and may be we should remove
> the class methods in the exercise.
>
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not yet. I'll start on week 3 today.
>>
>> The lessons you mentioned are in week 3 and week 5 I believe (the W3 and W5 in the PDF file names). However, the exercises I am referring to are in week 1 and week 2, possibly before the concept has been explained?

The TinyBlog example would still be very useful without. In TBPost, you have class methods only as shortcuts to create instances with data (TBPost class >> title: text: for instance). In TBBlog, you implemented the notion of 'single instance' in week2, which required the class methods. You could just push that later, after the appropriate lessons.  Everything else is excellent without the class methods.

Oh, and in passing, I'd like to say how much I appreciate the fact that testing is shown to be an integral part of the process (TDD). The MOOC shows us how we can write  tests before the actual methods being tested and how we can then use the debugger's  Create button to create the wished-for method. I love that.

Ok I see. We were struggling with order and may be we should remove the class methods in the exercise.

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not yet. I'll start on week 3 today.
>
> The lessons you mentioned are in week 3 and week 5 I believe (the W3 and W5 in the PDF file names). However, the exercises I am referring to are in week 1 and week 2, possibly before the concept has been explained?
>
> (for example:
> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-W2-TinyBlog-M
> odelExtensionTests-FR.pdf )

You're right. I forgot between the lesson and the exercise. My bad.

I checked and we introduced them (without explaining them) in W1S6

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok I see. We were struggling with order and may be we should remove
> the class methods in the exercise.
>
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Michel Marinier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not yet. I'll start on week 3 today.
>>
>> The lessons you mentioned are in week 3 and week 5 I believe (the W3 and W5 in the PDF file names). However, the exercises I am referring to are in week 1 and week 2, possibly before the concept has been explained?
>>
>> (for example:
>> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-W2-TinyBlog-
>> ModelExtensionTests-FR.pdf )

Thanks
I love so much test first and creating everything automatically from
there. We should continue to build on that.

I'm working on
- a new version of the mooc and may be I will change this.
- a new book on Object-Oriented Programming with TDD
if you want to read it I will restart to work on it as soon as I
finish the lecture slides.

Stef