Pharo: Reinventing Smalltalk

horrido
FYI, reader comments to my interview with Stef:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7a30vx/pharo_reinventing_smalltalk/

If you can respond, that would be great.

Re: Pharo: Reinventing Smalltalk

kilon.alios
Well I rather not reply because I am a huge hater of multi window GUIs . Thank god Pharo is not.

Seriously how on earth someone can find convenient multiple windows is beyond my understanding . It was a terrible idea in 90s , it’s still a terrible idea.
On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 at 23:05, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI, reader comments to my interview with Stef:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7a30vx/pharo_reinventing_smalltalk/

If you can respond, that would be great.

Re: Pharo: Reinventing Smalltalk

kilon.alios
Should pretty standard even for Java using a debugger

I mean I have done this with Visual Studio and its debugger with C++. It even allows you to inspect the machine code or see the memory in raw bits formats. So I find it hard to believe that Eclipse cannot do that with Java.

There is even a feature which is called watching a variable that pops the debugger only when a specific variable changes value. The functionality is there , the terminology is different.

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 at 01:12, henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

aglynn42

How many development environments use single document windows?  Off the top of my head, Dolphin and … er, Dolphin.  That the person thinks it’s supposed to be an end user application says it al, really.

I don’t hate SDI’s. they work ok for word processors.

Re: Pharo: Reinventing Smalltalk

aglynn42

There is a basic difference between debugging compiled code using debug symbols, debugging a live environment that’s represented as if it isn’t,  and debugging a live environment that’s represented as if it is.

In general Java is represented the same way as C/C++, although Eclipse is somewhat better than other Java IDE’s when it comes to debugging, mainly because it tries to be somewhat like VisualAge for Java, which was written in Smalltalk.

XCode represents MacOS similarly to the way Eclipse represents Java.   F-Script, on the other hand, allows you to debug MacOS / iOS in the same manner Smalltalk environments do.

But then, F-Script is Smalltalk by any other name.