Pharo Sound of Silence

Evan Donahue
Hello,

I'm trying to get sounds working in Pharo and I seem to be unable to locate a combination of PharoExtras/Sound and image/vm version that add up to audible sound.

The best I've done so far is pharo3/sound6.1, which lets me beep, and write sounds to wav files, but the primitive for playing sounds fails silently. The pharo4/sound6 combination seems not to have a SoundService object that Beeper depends on, so I don't even get beeps.

If anyone could help me figure out which version of what code is best supported right now, or why the sound playing primitive is failing, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Evan

Evan

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Evan Donahue
64-bit Arch linux 3.17.6-1-ARCH

I seem to be running pulse-audio with alsa, and I believe I have all the 32-compadibility libraries installed, but my experience with linux sound is limited. What is Pharo expecting?

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Nicolai Hess
I don't know exaclty why we don't build the pulse audio plugin for pharo. But you can
take a squeak vm (Squeak-4.3-all-in-one) for example and copy the
Squeak-4.3-All-in-One/Contents/Linux-i686/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/so.vm-sound-pulse
in your pharo-vm directory
pharo-vm/vm-sound-pulse

after that, sound works at least on ubuntu 14.04 with latest pharo vm and image and pharoextras/sound package

64-bit Arch linux 3.17.6-1-ARCH

I seem to be running pulse-audio with alsa, and I believe I have all the
32-compadibility libraries installed, but my experience with linux sound is
limited. What is Pharo expecting?

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Evan Donahue
That did the trick. Thanks.

Evan

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Xavier MESSNER

I have written a chapter which explain how to have sound in Pharo.
You can read it here.

In fact all you have to do is to disable pulse-audio to make it work.
I have tested it with ubuntu 14.04 64, ubuntu 12.04 64, OpenSuse 13.2 64, sabayon 64 (don't remember the version) and should work for every distributions.

I think that should work for Pharo 4, but no time to test at the moment.

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Nicolai Hess

<https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoReadyForReviews/tree/master/Sound>
.

In fact all you have to do is to disable pulse-audio to make it work.
I have tested it with ubuntu 14.04 64, ubuntu 12.04 64, OpenSuse 13.2 64,
sabayon 64 (don't remember the version) and should work for every
distributions.

Thank you xavier.

We should discuss how to solve this. Neither "copy the squeak plugin", nor "disabe pulse-audio",
is a good solution.

nicolai

I think that should work for Pharo 4, but no time to test at the moment.

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Xavier MESSNER
Hi,

We should discuss how to solve this. Neither "copy the squeak plugin", nor "disabe pulse-audio",
is a good solution.
The two methods can be used. But I think the best is not to use the plugin.
If the plugin is changing and is no longer compatible with Pharo or conversely you can no longer use this method. At the moment this is not the case.

While there, disable pulse-audio allows you to use Pharo with no change in its basic version. What seems to me to be less complicated in case of bugs on the sound system.

When writing the article for Linux Magazine (a French magazine) I asked myself this question. Should I write to use the Squeak's plugin or simply stop Pulse-Audio?

I put myself in the place of a newcomer in Pharo who wants to use the sound system. Install a plugin from elsewhere to run Pharo could give the image of a not finished tool. While there, the plugin does not exist and it does not matter because the sound works with a clear and simple method. It works out of the box.

After that, in a near future we should have a plugin for Pulse-Audio or best, Linux should have only one method to access sound, but it's another story :)

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Nicolai Hess

> We should discuss how to solve this. Neither "copy the squeak plugin", nor
> "disabe pulse-audio",
> is a good solution.

The two methods can be used. But I think the best is not to use the plugin.
If the plugin is changing and is no longer compatible with Pharo or
conversely you can no longer use this method. At the moment this is not the
case.

But I don't understand why we do not use the pulse plugin with pharo.
( vm-sound-OSS is working too, and the source is already in the source tree)

While there, disable pulse-audio allows you to use Pharo with no change in
its basic version. What seems to me to be less complicated in case of bugs
on the sound system.

"Hey, if you want to use pharo sound on linux, you have to change your sound config
and kill the sound server"

No, this isn't better :)

When writing the article for Linux Magazine (a French magazine) I asked
myself this question. Should I write to use the Squeak's plugin or simply
stop Pulse-Audio?

I put myself in the place of a newcomer in Pharo who wants to use the sound
system. Install a plugin from elsewhere to run Pharo could give the image of
a not finished tool. While there, the plugin does not exist and it does not
matter because the sound works with a clear and simple method. It works out
of the box.

After that, in a near future we should have a plugin for Pulse-Audio or
best, Linux should have only one method to access sound, but it's another
story :)

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Evan Donahue wrote
I'm trying to get sounds working in Pharo
If it helps, I started a minimal wrapper of the cross-platform FMOD library at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SeanDeNigris/FMOD . I did enough to play mp3s.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Xavier MESSNER

Nicolai Hess wrote

But I don't understand why we do not use the pulse plugin with pharo.
( vm-sound-OSS is working too, and the source is already in the source tree)
OSS is just a pain to use today. Some apps doesn't even support it anymore. And if we want to use it with Alsa, an emulation layer must be installed. But it's not the point.

Nicolai Hess wrote
"Hey, if you want to use pharo sound on linux, you have to change your
sound config
and kill the sound server"

No, this isn't better :)
I'm agree, it's not that way it should be done. But it's for me better than downloading another component to make it work, we could not know if it's fully supported or buggy.

In fact, there is a good way. Having a third part of drivers that are validated with Pharo. In that way, Pharo comes with just basic drivers to make it work and in another package we could have drivers that are validated with the stable version. If they don't work, we just have to email the contributor.

Pulse plugin will be in that last repo and if one day someone have some times to spend to include it in the source tree it will be great :)

We could have a documentation that explain how to include others drivers and let the user choice what is best for him. It's a good start to make Pharo even better :)

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

Xavier MESSNER
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
Evan Donahue wrote
I'm trying to get sounds working in Pharo
If it helps, I started a minimal wrapper of the cross-platform FMOD library at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SeanDeNigris/FMOD . I did enough to play mp3s.
Really great ! i will try this on my linux box, thanks !

Xavier.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

nacho
Sean,
Could please indicate me how I have to do to play a mp3 inside Pharo?
I loaded FMOD from your repo, but I don't know if I have to install something else, or where the mp3 file has to be or what class use.
I'm running Pharo 3 and 4 under Win 8.1
Thanks in advance!
best
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
Prosavic SRL

Tel: (011) 4542-6714

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Pharo Sound of Silence

stepharo

> But I don't understand why we do not use the pulse plugin with pharo.
> (vm-sound-OSS is working too, and the source is already in the source
> tree)

I do not know either.

Stef