Pharo-Sound

Russ Whaley
I'm using Pharo 8 stable (64bit) version.

I pulled PharoSound from the Catalog and installed.  Installed fine, no errors.

I went to the comments on the abstract class.  Copied the examples to the Playground, ran them - worked fine (although I don't know how to stop the dang PluckedString example!!)... I digress  :)

I created my own subclass to play specific sounds at certain events in my application.  Worked well.  A day later - I have no sound in my image at all now.  Nothing works.  I reinstalled from the Catalog. Ran the code listed in the AbstractSound comments - nothing.

I installed a new Pharo 8 stable 64-bit image - pulled PharoSound in, copied the sampe code from AbstractSound comments... and it worked just fine.

Any ideas how I can get sound to work again on my original image?  For me, it is a real pain to try and migrate all my code over to a new image.  It is apparently a character flaw on my part, but it takes me hours to get Git/Iceberg working properly on a new image. (yes, I'm ashamed).  I see a new book on the topic, but I had been following that book while it was wip, and Git/Iceberg just whips my butt.  But if going to a new image is the solution, I'll try, try again.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Russ

Russ Whaley

Re: Pharo-Sound

Ben Coman

On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 02:50, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry I don't the answer Russ, but just to piggy-back your query...
@all, is sound something that we should now be starting to do via FFI rather than existing plugins? [but pls prioritize Russ's question]
cheers -ben

Re: Pharo-Sound

VERHAEGHE Benoit

Hello,

I don't know what is exactly your problem.
If you want I have developed a FFI binding to VLC. (https://github.com/badetitou/Pharo-LibVLC)
So you can play any kind of audio file (or stream) from pharo.

If you need help you can send me a direct message.

Cheers,
Benoît

Le 14/05/2020 à 11:39, Ben Coman a écrit :

[...]

Benoît Verhaeghe
badetitou.github.io

[hidden email]
R&D Engineer at Berger-Levrault
[hidden email]
PHD student at Inria-Lille--Nord-Europe

Re: Pharo-Sound

Hi russ

I do not know if the catalog is referring the latest version but in anycase the plugins are all using old libraries and do not really work anymore (because not
available anymore).

We were discussing monday about it and to propose a binding to more recent libraries such as openAV
We need help there.

S.

On 13 May 2020, at 20:49, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo-Sound

Russ Whaley
Okay, so I may just have a compatibility issue w/v8, I suppose.  The suggestions on external audio, etc., are great - and a future need for me for sure, but right now, I'd settle for a beep :) - as I'm having troubles (another post on Spec2) updating my display with a 'Correct' or 'Incorrect' - between normal refreshes... so I just wanted an audible beep to let me know things were working.  I created a Logger class where I can log and see (in the log) that all the functional code is getting processed properly - I just can't seem to get it to the display.

I may try the FFI route - but it looks to be quite a bit more than I need right now.

Is there a way to completely remove the PharoSound 'package'?  It's possible, with me trying to figure out how to use it, I ran something that disabled it in my version.  Reloading it didn't help, but perhaps if I could get it completely deleted?

Thanks all!
Russ

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Russ Whaley

Re: Pharo-Sound

Stéphane Ducasse

On 14 May 2020, at 15:44, Russ Whaley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

go the repository browser, select it and press unload.

S/

[...]

France

Re: Pharo-Sound

Russ Whaley
Great!  I'll try that. Thank you!

Any other ideas just to get the computer to beep?  In the old days I could send a ^G to stdout, lol... (or something like that, memory fades).

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:56 AM Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Russ Whaley

Re: Pharo-Sound

Russ Whaley
The repository browser did not list PharoSound - at least in an obvious place :) so I couldn't unload it.

I created a new image - spent two hours getting Git/Iceberg working (personal problems, I guess - character flaw that this is so difficult for me).  But my new image is only 70MB.  My old image was 270MB.  So I guess it doesn't matter how to unload PharoSound as I now have a new image...

Thanks!
Russ